Thread: Do Captive Female American Toads Lays Eggs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Do Captive Female American Toads Lays Eggs

Might seem like a very stupid question, but I cannot find much information online. So, I'm relying on the experience of the forum members.

I'm a little worried about my girl at the moment because she is a bit bloated and has stopped eating for the past week! I keep offering her things but she's not interested and I can make her move around but not much. She's always had an attitude and when I nudge her, she nudges right back at me... as if to say "keep you're damn hands off of me woman!". This is the first time I've had a female over spring/summer and I was thinking that maybe she's gravid, but will she still lay eggs, being captive, or do they get reabsorbed? I could understand why she's not eating if that is the case??? And every so often I see her stomach moving, like something's in there but I know that's not possible. It's like she's processing something! I know she is moving around during the night because I find her in different spots when I check on her in the morning, but I don't know exactly how much moving she is doing. Could be just a hop or two... she was always a bit lazy but I know she was moving more often, up until about a week ago. And she loves kicking her legs backwards when she is soaking in her dish, which was a nightly occurrence... I know cause I usually hear her splashing around! But she hasn't been doing that either for the last week. So I'm not quite sure what's going on with her??? She will be a year old in late August/early September. This is not her normal behavior, but like I said... I never had a captive female before and this might just be normal for a female given the time of the year? Any thoughts/input/advice? Thank you!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Do Captive Female American Toads Lays Eggs

If she's been with a male toad, it's possible. Try providing her with a large submerged area, and see if she lays eggs. Make sure there are sticks/plants in there, American toads lay their eggs in large strings that they usually weave around objects. Keep us updated as to what happens!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry to say that she passed away. I believe her bloating and lack of appetite was from Septicemia, Dropsy or some other infection. I also had a severe die off of my crickets, so maybe they were carrying something nasty. I had used all my home bred crickets and bought some from a local petshop and it seems to coincide. It's very heartbreaking! I already miss hearing her splash around in her water dish! But thank you for your info and suggestions!
    ~Cathy

so reading this and this is realy suprising. i had a Large female american toad that was my little puppy dog. she was sweet as can be and would come to me when i made a clicking sound on the glass or with my mouth. she started to get realy lethargic and lost her appitite. she also got a tad bloated but i didnt realy think much of it because sometimes after she would eat pinkey mice, soak in her water bowl or eat a larger meal she would look like that. i brought her to my local exotics store and they said that maby she was reabsorbing eggs because i didnt give her the right place to breed because i didnt want to try her. after a few days she just couldnt walk properly and just looked so sick and it was begining to look clear that she wouldnt make it much longer. like i thought, the next day she died. i was doing tons of reaserch and i couldnt find out what it was.
    here is a pic of marble chilling with her friend goldenboy in her better days. shes the big one on the bottom but i dont think i need to say that because goldenboy is literaly radiating the color yellow in this pic. Name:  Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 1.57.39 PM.png
Views: 510
Size:  362.8 KB anyways it happens to even the best animals and best care takers. there isnt much you can do but understand it and spend as much time as you can with them while there still here Name:  Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 2.02.52 PM.png
Views: 459
Size:  441.4 KBName:  Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 2.03.18 PM.png
Views: 469
Size:  619.6 KBName:  Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 2.06.28 PM.png
Views: 453
Size:  292.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Awww! She was a beauty... adorable pics! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Cathy

Thread Information