Thread: Extremely bloated toad

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Extremely bloated toad

Hello, I found this toad tonight that couldn't move, and was extremely bloated. There was still some reaction from the toads eyes and throat like it is still alive; however the toad can't really move due to how bloated it is. It can however move its front legs; but one of its back legs is completely limp while the other is tight and a little harder to move like its fighting you from forcing its leg to move. Has anyone seen this before, and do yall think there is anything that can be done to save the toad? I have the toad with me at the moment in a empty tank and it is trying to move around in it. It also seems like the toad is swollen and sort of looks like the frog balloon from the movie Shrek. I say this because when you feel the back of the toad you do not feel the back bones that is normally right under their skin there. I have never seen this before and could taking a needle to make a small hole to reduce the swelling help any? I have pictures and will post them here in a few.

Edit: I was able to get the swelling to go down; but it looks like the toad is bleeding internally near the hind legs; where the pelvic bone is supposed to be. I do not think this toad will be able to be saved. It does seem like it wants to move around more now that the swelling has been reduced. Does anyone know of a good way to euthanize the toad? Thats if it comes to that... I have heard about putting them in a freezer with some numbing gel; but I have also heard some bad things with doing that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Extremely bloated toad

For those that are wondering the toad just passed away on its own. I do not know what happened to this toad; but it still sucks. These are the pictures of what the toad looked like when I found it.
    https://imgur.com/sXOOPkc
    https://imgur.com/BVTVhmL
    https://imgur.com/phBBR10

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Extremely bloated toad

awww! So sorry to hear that she didn't survive! And... Holy Cow! I've never seen bloating/swelling like that!! My best guess is that she got hit or possibly stepped on and something got broken, probably her hip or leg because of you saying that one of the legs was limp. Depending on the area of the break, she may not have felt very much pain if a major nerve was injured. I feel really bad for you cause it's obvious that you were desperately trying to save her and just wanted what was best for her, even if it meant to humanely euthanize her! I'm a little worried about my girl at the moment because she is a bit bloated and has stopped eating for the past 4 days! I keep offering her things to eat but she's not interested and I can make her move around but not much. She's always had an attitude and when I nudge her, she nudges right back at me... as if to say "keep you're damn hands off of me woman!" Your post caught my attention because of "bloated" and I was curious, but my girls bloat is nothing like yours! This is the first time I've had a female over spring/summer and I was thinking that maybe she's gravid, but will she still lay eggs, being captive, or do they get reabsorbed? I could understand why she's also not eating if that is the case??? I keep checking to see if she lays them in her water dish. And every so often I see her stomach moving, like something's in there but I know that not possible. It's like she processing something! I know she is moving around during the night because I find her in different spots when I check on her in the morning, but I don't know exactly how much moving she is doing. Could just be just a hop or two... she was always a bit lazy but I know she was moving more often, up until about a week ago. And she loves kicking her legs backwards when she is soaking in her dish, which was a nightly occurrence... I know cause I can hear her splashing around! But she hasn't been doing that either for the last few days. So I'm not quite sure what's going on with her??? She will be a year old in late August/early September. I'm just gonna keep my eye on her! But again... very sorry about your outcome!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Thread Information