Thread: How smart are tree frogs?

oneshotveth

Default How smart are tree frogs?

If I left the door to the viv open, would they jump out or would they know to stay in?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: How smart are tree frogs?

They would get out. They would probably not get out immediately, mine have a very high level on inertia in the daytime, but they would almost surely leave at some point. Once out, they might hide who knows where, and you can't count on them returning to the safety of their viv.

Whether escaping the safety of captivity into the terrifying dangers of glorious freedom counts as "smart" or not, well that could go either way.

If you want them to stay in the viv, just keep the door shut.

Eric Walker

depends on the sp. I have some smaller treefrogs that I swear, watch me as I walk by, waiting for that time I open their viv without food in my hand.

No food, Im out of here.

5. This member thanks Eric Walker for this post:

bshmerlie

They have no clue the rest of the world isn't temp controlled.

TheBambooGoanna

I'm not sure...I'd say they have the capacity to learn. Most of mine know what the containers their food is kept in sound like. I mean, if I open a type of container that I don't usually keep feeders in, they will not react to it. However, if I open the right kind of container, many of my frogs will "come out of the woodwork" even if they were asleep, ready to eat lol.

I don't think leaving the enclosure if you keep the doors open would count as a test of intelligence though...

Molch

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotveth View Post
    How smart are tree frogs?
    Linus demanded her own PC recently; here she is surfing the frog forum:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

amisbeef

I count vouch for all others, but my Whites knows what the sliding door on the top of his new viv does and I only put him in today! Keeps staring at it too. In a previous viv one of my Whites used to sit on the branch at the top of the viv and tap tap tap on the lid above him until it started to budge! So even with the door shut they can get out to explore :P

Leefrogs

Unrelated to the escaping part. I think frogs are very intelegent. New whites within a month wait at feeding spot for treats(waxies) evey morning. And they did it within a week. I think if they did get out, they'd be smart enough to hide somewhere u wouldn't look. You'd only find them when they're looking for water.

Lamb

As for whether they will leave the terrarium, as others have said, it likely depends on the frog. I had a gray treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis/versicolor) in an 18 gallon and mistakenly left the lid off one day. I came home to find him perched on the lip of the tank, but that is as far as he went.

It all depends on your definition of intelligence. Amphibians are not self-aware, as are dolphins or apes. But many are capable of intriguing behaviors, such as natal site fidelity (wherein an individual returns to the same pond from which it emerged as a metamorph). Their homing abilities have been well studied, and these studies demonstrate that amphibians are at least able to use a mental map. However, as for problem solving, they fall behind many other vertebrates. As for feeding behaviors, such as equating humans with food, I would argue that it simply demonstrates their ability to adapt and react within the confines of their world. For a large part, it's learning based on conditioning. For example, my larval Eurycea, named Guano, recognizes that I mean food. He will follow me as I move around the tank. It has also as learned that food (frozen bloodworms) comes from above, and will arch its back or prop itself up when hunting. Another example is "fence-stalking" in snakes. When researchers employ drift-fences to study herp (reptile and amphibian) populations, local snakes can learn to stalk the fence and eat any critters that fall in the pits. Because they have always, or at least frequently, encountered food items at the fence, the fence becomes associated with food.
    Last edited by Lamb; January 9th, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Wanted to add another point

12. This member thanks Lamb for this post:

Tony

I'm with Eric, it depends on the species. With a very mellow frog like Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis I have no problem leaving the viv wide open while I work, and will sometimes even pull the frogs out and just put them on a random plant in the frog room because I know they won't go anywhere, and on the opposite end of the spectrum I will not open my Agalychnis annae viv at night because they make a run for the border as soon as the doors crack open. In any case it is best not to leave your viv open all the time, even the calmest frogs will eventually figure out that they have an exit.

Hi
    I'm certain that if you left the door open then any type of tree frog will eventually figure out they can leave. With my Whistling tree frogs tank the lid is on top with a net aswell so I can leave it open if my room gets too hot bcause they can't climb out, but I wouldn't reccommend leaving the door open anyway.

Wormwood

Simple response, NO - frogs and toads can not be trained to stay within an open tank.

They will try to leave the tank sooner or later to look for food or other hiding places and they WILL DIE outside the tank, dehydrated without any water.

Do not leave your tank/vit open unless your attending to them.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    Simple response, NO - frogs and toads can not be trained to stay within an open tank.

They will try to leave the tank sooner or later to look for food or other hiding places and they WILL DIE outside the tank, dehydrated without any water.

Do not leave your tank/vit open unless your attending to them.
    I fully concur. Make sure your lids are secured down with a latch. I only work in my tree frog tanks in the daytime when they are asleep. Just remember frogs can get out of the smallest holes.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

While tree frogs may not pass an iq test free LOL, their ability to learn, adapt, and exhibit certain behaviors suggests a level of cognitive ability. It's fascinating to observe the behaviors and actions of tree frogs, even if determining their exact level of intelligence may be challenging without specific scientific studies or tests.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by annashetty View Post
    While tree frogs may not pass an iq test free LOL, their ability to learn, adapt, and exhibit certain behaviors suggests a level of cognitive ability. It's fascinating to observe the behaviors and actions of tree frogs, even if determining their exact level of intelligence may be challenging without specific scientific studies or tests.
    Right, plus there are different species of tree frogs that might have somewhat different intelligence. Running off might indicate they're smart enough to get out someone comes to open the tank or it might just mean they're especially reactive and quick moving.

Thread Information