Thread: Blind toad.

Default Blind toad.

Hello, i found this toad in my well today and i noticed a deformity in his eye. It seems almost shrunken and no puple. He cant see out of it becuase he gets startled when i pick him up from that side and not the other, he walks off of tables and wanders aimlessly bumping into walls. il put a pic of his odd eye and the eye of my healthy toad
    Name:  20200626_155830.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  598.8 KBName:  20200626_155707.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  1.01 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Blind toad.

aww both of them are precious! I've encountered many an adult toad with eye deformities like that and he should do just fine in the wild so you can release him without worry.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a toad with an eye issue too! She is one of the wild ones that has been visiting me for the last 2 summers and I named her ROXIE. She came out of hibernation, looking all skinny but she plumped up nicely and then a month went by and I hadn't seen her. Well, 3 weeks ago she came into my garage and I noticed her left eye had a white, hardened lump, dead center of the pupil and under the cornea. She was also very skinny again, so I fed her some juicy nightcrawlers for a few nights and her belly was plumping up again. I took her to our local environmental center and they treated her for a couple weeks with antibiotics but when they released her back to me they told me it could be a cataract. IDK??? I didn't know they could form that quickly?? I also researched and another possible diagnosis could be corneal lipidosis, but that is more common with captive toads. Regardless, she cannot see out of that eye and I am worried about setting her free because she is obviously having difficulty catching prey. I've been keeping her in my garage and watching her movement/behavior when I toss in some worms. If they are at her right, she goes into stalk mode immediately, but if on the left... she just sits there! She's an old gal for the wild... I'm estimating 4-5 years old and I'd hate to take her out of the wild but afraid she won't make it on her own. What to do???
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

So i looked up this corneal lipidosis and it seems like its something differant. A friend of mine sent me a pic of another toad that he found that had the same problem. Ive kind of just ignored it because i feed her seperatly in a smallbin so she can catch the food easly. She only seems to go after it when its on her good side

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

that's interesting I've never seen something like that. Cathy can you post a pic of Roxie?

Im in the prosses of picking the minds of the people from that big salamander forum caudata i think is the name. If they tell me anything that we dont already know il let youguys know

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_0818 (1).jpg
Views: 679
Size:  1.39 MBName:  IMG_0819.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  1.44 MBName:  IMG_0820.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  925.1 KBName:  IMG_0817.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  1.03 MB

If you have any idea of what this is or how I should treat it, I'd really appreciate it! It looks like it's on the outside of the cornea but it is definitely under the cornea. Thanks!
    Last edited by ToadilyNuts4Nature; July 28th, 2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added pic
    ~Cathy

Ok thats weird. Have you tried blotting it with a q tip or something. It looks like its leaking pus or something out of the eye. My blind girl has like a small eye. It has no pupil and the eye is all black. What you have is very differant but i will do some searching on that

I would make the same assumption as you that that could be corneal lipidosious. Keep an eye on it (that pun killed me to write) anyway i wouldnt think its a cateraxt because of the discharge

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah. Everytime I tried to wipe it, her lower lid comes up and covers it. At first I thought it was pus because pus from toads his hard forming, but not really knowing what more to do, I took her to my local environmental center. They kept her for 2 weeks and had their vet look at her and they said it was either an infection or cataract. So, they applied antibiotic drops but it didn't help and they said that it is probably a cataract. However, when I saw her a month prior, both of her eyes were fine so I just don't understand how a cataract can form that quickly and that's why I researched more and found that Corneal Lipidosis condition. However, that generally afflicts captive amphibians due to a diet that is high in fat/cholesterol. She's wild, so I don't think that is the issue. She appears healthy, other than being skinny when I found her in my garage a few weeks ago but she's been fed very well over the last few weeks and has plumped up nicely. I'm just afraid then when/if I release her, she is going to lose weight again because she cannot see prey well enough to catch it, unless it's coming from her right side, where she can see out of her good eye. I've been caring for her for a week now and she definitely has trouble seeing the prey. What concerns me too is that the vet who treats the animals at the environmental center doesn't have a good reputation and I am doubting that she has much experience with reptiles & amphibians, so it's possible that she was misdiagnosed!
    ~Cathy

i think im getting close to finding out what is wrong with my toads eye. a few days ago while i was practicing my golf swing i heard my sisters friend yell that there was a large snake next to the deck attacking a toad. it was what im assuming was a northern water snake looking by the description of the snake and the amount of blood from the bite. when she yelled that most likely startled the snake to drop the toad and go back under the deck the snake had scared 2 toads out from the deck and caught one but let go of it. the toad that it caught was bleeding and oozing poison from it glands. i got some gloves and picked him up. when i addressed the wound i saw that he grabbed it on its side when i was looking at him i saw the eye had the same problem. this toad was also a big guy. maybe 5 or 6 years old so an old guy for the wild. the other eye was also bleeding pretty badly. its done bleeding now but hwe wont open that eye. im thinking that the my toad could have gotten attacked by a snake, got away and survived. lucky guy. im going to hold onto the toad that got attacked to see if the eye goes sour. if it does i have a friend who has been wanting an american toad for awile so i might ask if he wants him

Thread Information