Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3yo - Trixie not eating! Help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 3yo - Trixie not eating! Help

Quote Originally Posted by froghub View Post
    Hey there.
    Force fed him the formula today, quite easy. He was not too upset and did it little by little.
    I will keep this going for a week or so and each time try to feed him normally before.
    Good to hear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Good to hear.
    I did less so i was sure i was not overfeeding. Next time will do complete dosage...
    He is suposed to poop normally on formula or will it be liquid? Will i know when he poops?
    Btw what are the best multi vitamin that you can provide this guys? As i told you i use repashy calcium plus and reptivite when i feed him every other time.
    Thanks man he already seems more active.
    Will keep you posted

Nationality
    [United States]

I did less so i was sure i was not overfeeding. Next time will do complete dosage...
    He is suposed to poop normally on formula or will it be liquid? Will i know when he poops?
    Btw what are the best multi vitamin that you can provide this guys? As i told you i use repashy calcium plus and reptivite when i feed him every other time.
    Thanks man he already seems more active.
    Will keep you posted
    What you are using is fine for supplements. You will need to give less often because adults do not need supplements as often as growing frogs. Once per week is sufficient.

The formula is loaded with vitamins as well.

The frog's poop will look quite different, but the majority of the solid matter will be absorbed with not much waste so the frog may not poop for a while when on the formula. You will notice if the frog poops it will look different.

What you are using is fine for supplements. You will need to give less often because adults do not need supplements as often as growing frogs. Once per week is sufficient.

The formula is loaded with vitamins as well.

The frog's poop will look quite different, but the majority of the solid matter will be absorbed with not much waste so the frog may not poop for a while when on the formula. You will notice if the frog poops it will look different.

Alright man.
    Just finished feeding him is formula. He's starting to open mouth on his own.
    He seems to be shedding more and faster since on formula. Is it normal?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright man.
    Just finished feeding him is formula. He's starting to open mouth on his own.
    He seems to be shedding more and faster since on formula. Is it normal?
    It's probably unrelated.

Observe the condition of his skin closely. Does he eat it like they normally do or does he slough off and leave it? Constant sloughing of the skin or trouble shedding usually indicate a skin condition like a possible fungal infection, but not always.

This year i did nor catch him eating it. But he did not have the strenght to open the mouth either. There are only very small strips coming out already. Nothing like it usually does. There are just some bit when he is in water coming off.

Nationality
    [United States]

This year i did nor catch him eating it. But he did not have the strenght to open the mouth either. There are only very small strips coming out already. Nothing like it usually does. There are just some bit when he is in water coming off.
    Probably just a result of malnutrition. The formula should help with that.

Probably just a result of malnutrition. The formula should help with that.
    Alright, how long should i give him the formula? Until he eats normally or should i rely on it for a while?
    I'm not planning on using it more than a week due to bacteria, but if it is that helpfull i can get another one. Also it is on the fridge, i use gloves when manipulating etc.
    Also when he eats package says that i can sprinkle normal food with it as if it was a supplement...

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, how long should i give him the formula? Until he eats normally or should i rely on it for a while?
    I'm not planning on using it more than a week due to bacteria, but if it is that helpfull i can get another one. Also it is on the fridge, i use gloves when manipulating etc.
    Also when he eats package says that i can sprinkle normal food with it as if it was a supplement...
    Offer food as normal. The idea is to stimulate his appetite and get him strong enough to eat on his own. I would use it for a couple weeks while offering normal food item as well to see if he will take them.

You can use it as a supplement. Many of these formulas state that they can be used as such to provide extra nutrition. You can hold off from feeding him the formula for a couple days to see if he will eat on his own.

The formula will last longer than a week. It's just important to minimize the chances of contaminating the formula. It should be fine.

The decision is of course yours to make.

Offer food as normal. The idea is to stimulate his appetite and get him strong enough to eat on his own. I would use it for a couple weeks while offering normal food item as well to see if he will take them.

You can use it as a supplement. Many of these formulas state that they can be used as such to provide extra nutrition. You can hold off from feeding him the formula for a couple days to see if he will eat on his own.

The formula will last longer than a week. It's just important to minimize the chances of contaminating the formula. It should be fine.

Hey, yes i'm offering normal food always prior. He's starting to want food but not yet. At least he already tries to catch it and holds on to the syringe as they should hold to the prey. I'll give him three days off on the seventh day to see if he wants some dubias. If it does i'll finish the powder using it as a supplement yes.
    Also he is fully shedding now, very fast. Seems that he hasn't done the job as i thought.
    As far as i know he's eating it. Also pooped yesterday, in the water bowl...

Little guy is already eating and catching tongues and some dubias lol. Which is great. I'll give him the day off today and tomorrow will try to normal feed him again.
    Thanks man.

Also there was some formula that was sprinkled on the terrarium coconut fiber thanks to the dubias. Is this a major concern and require a sooner change of substrate or is it fine?

Nationality
    [United States]

Little guy is already eating and catching tongues and some dubias lol. Which is great. I'll give him the day off today and tomorrow will try to normal feed him again.
    Thanks man.
    Also there was some formula that was sprinkled on the terrarium coconut fiber thanks to the dubias. Is this a major concern and require a sooner change of substrate or is it fine?
    You're welcome.

If possible remove the small amount of formula from the substrate. You don't want it mixed in with it.

You're welcome.

If possible remove the small amount of formula from the substrate. You don't want it mixed in with it.
    Hey, yes the visible part is gone i did remove it by hand. But some might have got mixed in there. Well i guess i'll change him by next weak. I'll take him out to feed next time while on formula

You're welcome.

Hey man.
    I've fully changed the substrate too.
    He's already eating. Thank you again. He has gained weight too.

I've this guy at 82°F during day. 78°F during night (on the warm side, the cold side is about 3F between hot and cold sides. So day is by the lamp 82-78f om the cold side and night is 78-75F on cold side)

He's burrowing very deeply in the substrate, which he usually don't. Today he had his eye out so he's doing better i guess.

As i said he's 3years old. Are the temps in range? He is still a juvie or adult?
    What temp when he becomes adult?

Also humidity during day is on spot. Arround 77%. At night it goes up to 90%. But as my hygrometer doesn't seem reliable i've ordered another one to see... But if it is 90% at night would that be too much?
    I can state that he doesn't like the humidity lower that 75% during day so a good trick i found is to point the heat lamp to the water bowl. This way the water is luke warm too and keeps it humid without having to constatly soak the substrate. (Ofc the substrate is humid, i just don't like it running water when i squeeze it)

I've opened more the vent holes in the front too. So air circulation is not really a issue.

I've also added some big fake plants so he doesn't stress at all. He likes to hide in then.

Lately he's fully shedding also. Color became darker.

Thanks man

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey man.
    I've fully changed the substrate too.
    He's already eating. Thank you again. He has gained weight too.

I've this guy at 82°F during day. 78°F during night (on the warm side, the cold side is about 3F between hot and cold sides. So day is by the lamp 82-78f om the cold side and night is 78-75F on cold side)

He's burrowing very deeply in the substrate, which he usually don't. Today he had his eye out so he's doing better i guess.

As i said he's 3years old. Are the temps in range? He is still a juvie or adult?
    What temp when he becomes adult?

Also humidity during day is on spot. Arround 77%. At night it goes up to 90%. But as my hygrometer doesn't seem reliable i've ordered another one to see... But if it is 90% at night would that be too much?
    I can state that he doesn't like the humidity lower that 75% during day so a good trick i found is to point the heat lamp to the water bowl. This way the water is luke warm too and keeps it humid without having to constatly soak the substrate. (Ofc the substrate is humid, i just don't like it running water when i squeeze it)

I've opened more the vent holes in the front too. So air circulation is not really a issue.

I've also added some big fake plants so he doesn't stress at all. He likes to hide in then.

Lately he's fully shedding also. Color became darker.

Thanks man
    Your frog is an adult.

Your temperature range is fine. As for the humidity jumping to 90%, that is due to no light burning off the moisture in the air. It's a little high and you'll need to watch for mold growth on the substrate.

Burrowing deeper is most likely due to the lights. Nothing unusual there.

Glad he is doing better and you're welcome.

Your frog is an adult.

Your temperature range is fine. As for the humidity jumping to 90%, that is due to no light burning off the moisture in the air. It's a little high and you'll need to watch for mold growth on the substrate.

Burrowing deeper is most likely due to the lights. Nothing unusual there.

Glad he is doing better and you're welcome.
    Alright, as lamp needs to be on at night too(the ceramic heater) and there's air circulating i guess the hygrometer is not that accurate. Since it's a cheap ebay one.

I'll buy a new hygrometer and check on that before making assumptions. It even shows 99% most of the times. And no it doesnt get wet...

About the mold that's not an issue since i constatly mix the substrate arround but i'll check on how i can lower the humidity at night. I've ordered a reliable higrometer too.

Or i can bump a little the night temperature to 26°C to see if that helps also.

How can one know the gender of the frog? He seems like a male to me since he's not that big, whats your opinion?

Thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, as lamp needs to be on at night too(the ceramic heater) and there's air circulating i guess the hygrometer is not that accurate. Since it's a cheap ebay one.

I'll buy a new hygrometer and check on that before making assumptions. It even shows 99% most of the times. And no it doesnt get wet...

About the mold that's not an issue since i constatly mix the substrate arround but i'll check on how i can lower the humidity at night. I've ordered a reliable higrometer too.

Or i can bump a little the night temperature to 26°C to see if that helps also.

How can one know the gender of the frog? He seems like a male to me since he's not that big, whats your opinion?

Thanks again.
    Check the frog's thumbs. There will be a dark spot on the side of the digit know as a nuptial pad if the frog is male. Females tend to be larger than males and mostly lack any identifying markers.

Males size is typically between 6.3 cm and 7.3 cm with some individuals reaching 9.3 cm. There is some variation based on species and overall care of captives. Females are usually between 10.8 cm and 12.7 cm depending on species and care as well.

Also, at this age you should have heard the frog call (croak) if male. Only males produce a mating call. Females just kind of make a grunt. Both are capable of producing the defensive scream.

Check the frog's thumbs. There will be a dark spot on the side of the digit know as a nuptial pad if the frog is male. Females tend to be larger than males and mostly lack any identifying markers.

Males size is typically between 6.3 cm and 7.3 cm with some individuals reaching 9.3 cm. There is some variation based on species and overall care of captives. Females are usually between 10.8 cm and 12.7 cm depending on species and care as well.

Also, at this age you should have heard the frog call (croak) if male. Only males produce a mating call. Females just kind of make a grunt. Both are capable of producing the defensive scream.

It's almost certainly a female. But i'll take a better look afterwards.
    So she's eating normally and shedding but she leaves the skin on the water.
    Also it is the first time that she eats during shedding. As you stated before this could be a skin problem the fact that she doesn't eat it?
    Any worries here?
    Or is it cause of the formula? She was not able to shed before and now she's shedding as the skin is old she doesn't eat it?

Nationality
    [United States]

It's almost certainly a female. But i'll take a better look afterwards.
    So she's eating normally and shedding but she leaves the skin on the water.
    Also it is the first time that she eats during shedding. As you stated before this could be a skin problem the fact that she doesn't eat it?
    Any worries here?
    Or is it cause of the formula? She was not able to shed before and now she's shedding as the skin is old she doesn't eat it?
    Does she leave all her shed or is it only some small pieces?

They typically eat the whole shed, but sometimes miss pieces because the shed gets stuck or tears during the process.

If you would, post new pictures of the frog after she sheds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information