Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3yo - Trixie not eating! Help

Default 3yo - Trixie not eating! Help

1. Size of enclosure - 19"-19"-24"(height)
    2. # of inhabitants - 1
    3. Humidity - 80 day- 85 night
    4. Temperature - 27.4șC Day - 25.7șC night by day/night+light thermostat.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - bottled water with reptisafe treatment.
    6. Materials used for substrate - Coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - 1 fake plant 1 water dish
    8. Main food source - dubias, nightcrawlers.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? 1 time yes 1 time no
    10. Lighting- 1w led 4000k 12h day
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - ceramic heat lamp
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - november 2019
    13. Have you found poop lately - last time before aestivation.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - attached
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. - some bloating too.
    16. How old is the frog - 3 Years old
    17. How long have you owned him/her - 3 years
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive bread
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats -> pinkies, crickets
    20. How often the frog is handled - rarely
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - yes
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - daily water change. mix the substrate and spot clean every day too. substrate every 2 months.

Hello guys,
    it's been a while since i've been here,
    Well my 3yo pacman frog has gone in aestivation for the third time. But this time it is longer. He still seems to be shedding. He has stopped eating in november 2019.
    So, not interested in live pinkies, not interested in dubias nor nightcrawlers. He just dodges food and turns arround. Have not yet tried more crickets. I know this is normal in estivation. My concern is that it has been a long estivation already.
    I've been putting him in water honey bath, no joy either.
    He's becoming skinny...
    Well usually this behavoir last about 4 months, this year is already in 6 months and counting.
    I've no idea what is happening.
    I've changed its substrate from ecoearth to another brand but it should be the same.
    Do any of you have an idea of what is happening?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by froghub; May 20th, 2020 at 06:22 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 3yo - Trixie not eating! Help

Is that the frog's normal color?

Stop using the honey bath. That's not going to help.

You are going to have to force feed the frog if it will not eat. Try crickets before you attempt to force need the frog.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Is that the frog's normal color?

Stop using the honey bath. That's not going to help.

You are going to have to force feed the frog if it will not eat. Try crickets before you attempt to force need the frog.
    Hello,
    Yes that's the normal color. Last year he was green this year he's a bit clearer on the green and the brown is darker. But the flash on the camera makes it look even more clear than he is.
    I did offer him live and frozen(defrosted ofcourse) pinkies. No joy
    I bothered him a lot yesterday and managed to feed him two dubias. Better than nothing. It seems that he doesnt want to open mouth. Also it dodges food, turn arround and burrows.
    I will try crickets too.
    If not i'll force feed him.

Any ideias why he doesnt want to open up that mouth? This guy never had problems eating. Sometimes he needs a honey bath he poops and eats again that's all.

He doesnt have any uvb light or things like that. But if you believe that would help i can get one. Just a led and ceramic heater.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by froghub View Post
    Hello,
    Yes that's the normal color. Last year he was green this year he's a bit clearer on the green and the brown is darker. But the flash on the camera makes it look even more clear than he is.
    I did offer him live and frozen(defrosted ofcourse) pinkies. No joy
    I bothered him a lot yesterday and managed to feed him two dubias. Better than nothing. It seems that he doesnt want to open mouth. Also it dodges food, turn arround and burrows.
    I will try crickets too.
    If not i'll force feed him.

Any ideias why he doesnt want to open up that mouth? This guy never had problems eating. Sometimes he needs a honey bath he poops and eats again that's all.

He doesnt have any uvb light or things like that. But if you believe that would help i can get one. Just a led and ceramic heater.
    Sometimes when they come out of aestivation their personality seems to change. They may be more likely to bite, change their preferred food, or just be even more lazy. It doesn't happen with all individuals, but some seem to not want to eat and just burrow back down.

Sometimes all they need to spark their appetite is to just eat something. I'm going to recommend that when you force feed that you use Repta-Boost. Follow the instructions. This can act as an appetite stimulant.

Do stop with the honey baths. Try just warm water. Using the honey bath too often can be harmful.

UVB can be beneficial, but is not necessary. You can try it out and use it as a form of supplemtation.

When you offer food is it dark in the room and the enclosure?

Sometimes when they come out of aestivation their personality seems to change. They may be more likely to bite, change their preferred food, or just be even more lazy. It doesn't happen with all individuals, but some seem to not want to eat and just burrow back down.

Sometimes all they need to spark their appetite is to just eat something. I'm going to recommend that when you force feed that you use Repta-Boost. Follow the instructions. This can act as an appetite stimulant.

Do stop with the honey baths. Try just warm water. Using the honey bath too often can be harmful.

UVB can be beneficial, but is not necessary. You can try it out and use it as a form of supplemtation.

When you offer food is it dark in the room and the enclosure?
    Alright, will try repta boost when i get some crickets.
    I did stop the honey baths, just warm water for a while now.

About the uvb, what lamp would you recommend, and how many hours a day?

I try both, i do have more joy when i feed him during day. This guy has rarely eat at night. And i did try lights off too various times.

About repta boost seems that we dont have this in europe. Any other product similiar to this?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, will try repta boost when i get some crickets.
    I did stop the honey baths, just warm water for a while now.

About the uvb, what lamp would you recommend, and how many hours a day?

I try both, i do have more joy when i feed him during day. This guy has rarely eat at night. And i did try lights off too various times.

About repta boost seems that we dont have this in europe. Any other product similiar to this?
    No particular lamp necessary. Just one that fits the bulb. Use something around 25 watts that is full spectrum. Exo Terra Repti-Glo 2.0.

You can use it for the main daylight bulb so no need to change the photoperiod.

I do not know of any similar products offered in Europe. If you have a Vet you can see if they can get you some Emeraid Carnivore or something similar.

You should only offer food early morning or at night. They are nocturnal after all.

No particular lamp necessary. Just one that fits the bulb. Use something around 25 watts that is full spectrum. Exo Terra Repti-Glo 2.0.

You can use it for the main daylight bulb so no need to change the photoperiod.

I do not know of any similar products offered in Europe. If you have a Vet you can see if they can get you some Emeraid Carnivore or something similar.

You should only offer food early morning or at night. They are nocturnal after all.
    Alright gotcha, something with a lot uva and few uvb.

How far from the substrate should it be +-? If it is too much of a distance i should consider a 13w one maybe cause the socket is inside about 15" from the gound.

I do use repashy calcium plus and repitive but will see to find another one similiar to those you talk.

Name:  Screenshot_20200522_231455_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  1,020.6 KB

I was able to find this one, will this do? Also is it supposed to be fed by a syringe?

I'll insist with him at night then.

Thanks, i'll keep you posted
    Last edited by froghub; May 22nd, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright gotcha, something with a lot uva and few uvb.

How far from the substrate should it be +-? If it is too much of a distance i should consider a 13w one maybe cause the socket is inside about 15" from the gound.

I do use repashy calcium plus and repitive but will see to find another one similiar to those you talk.

Name:  Screenshot_20200522_231455_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  1,020.6 KB

I was able to find this one, will this do? Also is it supposed to be fed by a syringe?

I'll insist with him at night then.

Thanks, i'll keep you posted
    You can try that.

Be careful with these critical care formulas. They are made to break down and become bioavailable rapidly and can grow bacteria very quickly if contaminated.

You can try that.

Be careful with these critical care formulas. They are made to break down and become bioavailable rapidly and can grow bacteria very quickly if contaminated.
    Alright man, will do, i'll keep it in the fridge and be carefull with it. It says 7 days, which is short and product is expensive.

How do i do this?
    Force feed him with syringe in liquid form or do i make like balls open his mouth and put them inside?
    Also how often should i feed him this? Large quantity twice a week? Or every day like package says?

I'll invest in this prior to get the uvb bulb, since uvb will not make that huge difference but this can. And he does get some sun where he is. Maybe a plain uva lamp instead of the led can benefit him. I shall see if they're not too expensive i'll get one too.

You can try that.

I've force fed him 5 dubias today.
    He's not happy when i open his mouth.
    Waiting on the intensive care powder to arrive.
    Also he seems very stressed lately.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've force fed him 5 dubias today.
    He's not happy when i open his mouth.
    Waiting on the intensive care powder to arrive.
    Also he seems very stressed lately.
    I'd leave him be since you've force fed him. Messing with him a lot will increase stress. Force feeding even more so. That's why it is only used as a last resort.

Bulb height is based on output. Many are recommended 12 inches from substrate so 15 inches should be okay. I would go with lower wattage. 13 should be fine.

Don't force feed him again until after you get the critical care formula. Follow the instructions on the package. You will be using the dosage for reptiles despite the fact that you're feeding a frog. It will be liquid and yes you'll be using a feeding syringe.

I'd leave him be since you've force fed him. Messing with him a lot will increase stress. Force feeding even more so. That's why it is only used as a last resort.

Bulb height is based on output. Many are recommended 12 inches from substrate so 15 inches should be okay. I would go with lower wattage. 13 should be fine.

Don't force feed him again until after you get the critical care formula. Follow the instructions on the package. You will be using the dosage for reptiles despite the fact that you're feeding a frog. It will be liquid and yes you'll be using a feeding syringe.
    Alright. I just put him in luke warm water so he could relax, not touching him until i receive the formula.
    He did spit the dubias. Once they were in again he was obliged to eat them.
    Alright, should i use a tube in the syringe open his mouth get it in and pump it there? Then at the end take the tube away, thats the plan?
    How often should this be done? Powder will be here by end of next week.

Hey again.
    I've bought the new bulb from exoterra, Natural light compact 13w. Which they don't state it has uvb 2.0 anymore.
    By the spectrum i guess it has some. I've put it inside the terrarium so he has some uvb since lamp is 2.0 or even lower.
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_light.php
    So it is in place. Frog comes out to catch sun during day(around 6 p.m) which seems impressive to me since he never did that.
    Will leave him aline two days and force feed him the carnivore care formula after that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey again.
    I've bought the new bulb from exoterra, Natural light compact 13w. Which they don't state it has uvb 2.0 anymore.
    By the spectrum i guess it has some. I've put it inside the terrarium so he has some uvb since lamp is 2.0 or even lower.
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_light.php
    So it is in place. Frog comes out to catch sun during day(around 6 p.m) which seems impressive to me since he never did that.
    Will leave him aline two days and force feed him the carnivore care formula after that.
    Sounds good.

As for the force feeding. You'll probably have to pry his mouth open and you'll only want to feed him about 0.5 mL of the liquid food at a time until. They have not evolved to drink fluid so sometimes they have trouble with a large amount at once. Less than 0.5 mL is also acceptable and may be best until the frog ingests the desired amount.

To be clear, this is the volume per mouthful. Just force feed small amounts. You should be able to use the directions on the bag to determine how much to make based on his weight. I would do this every other day to limit stress.

Sounds good.

As for the force feeding. You'll probably have to pry his mouth open and you'll only want to feed him about 0.5 mL of the liquid food at a time until. They have not evolved to drink fluid so sometimes they have trouble with a large amount at once. Less than 0.5 mL is also acceptable and may be best until the frog ingests the desired amount.

To be clear, this is the volume per mouthful. Just force feed small amounts. You should be able to use the directions on the bag to determine how much to make based on his weight. I would do this every other day to limit stress.
    Alright i'll have it in consideration.
    I'll try first to do this more solid so it would be like food for him, since it says on the package that the water can be adjusted.
    If i'm able to make something that looks like a ball of the powder that will be ideal and he can swallow more at once? If not feasible i'll feed him with syringe then.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright i'll have it in consideration.
    I'll try first to do this more solid so it would be like food for him, since it says on the package that the water can be adjusted.
    If i'm able to make something that looks like a ball of the powder that will be ideal and he can swallow more at once? If not feasible i'll feed him with syringe then.
    It should be the consistency of melted ice cream. Do not make it more solid because you may give too high of a concentration of formula. This is designed to be a liquid not a solid. Do not feed him balls of formula.

Alright understand. I will get bigger dubias and crickets this time. I'll try that first.
    If he heats normally i will not give him that. Since he was force fed already and now has the exoterra bulb things might be better. Otherwise will syringe fed him. I used to have a blue led there at night he seemed more active. Is this recommended or not? Something like a night light?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright understand. I will get bigger dubias and crickets this time. I'll try that first.
    If he heats normally i will not give him that. Since he was force fed already and now has the exoterra bulb things might be better. Otherwise will syringe fed him. I used to have a blue led there at night he seemed more active. Is this recommended or not? Something like a night light?
    They are not necessary but can be used if you like. The important part is not using a light source that interferes with the animals day night cycle.

Will only use to feed him then if they're not needed no need to waste power either.
    If it helps him see it is one thing if it only helps us see i'll connect it when i'm arround to feed him at night.
    Last edited by froghub; May 26th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

They are not necessary but can be used if you like. The important part is not using a light source that interferes with the animals day night cycle.
    Hey there.
    Force fed him the formula today, quite easy. He was not too upset and did it little by little.
    I will keep this going for a week or so and each time try to feed him normally before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information