Thread: Breeding advice

Default Breeding advice

Hey so im trying to breed my american toads. Rn im at the point where they are finished hibernating and in the rain chamber. One is still calling a little bit but not mating. The other male is no longer calling and amplexing one female. How long until the eggs are laid is my main question. Also how do i make sure that they dont drown each other and will the other one try to breed.

The breeding pairs
    Name:  15892966011071700252233.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  1.54 MB

The male
    Name:  15892966794251907361378.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.22 MB

The female
    Name:  15892967690641613052132.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.75 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Breeding advice

You’ve done everything you need to at this point. The toads won’t drown each other and there’s nothing more you can do to make them want to mate. With any luck you’ll get some eggs! It could take a few days or even more than a week for them to lay if at all. Keep us posted though, I’d love to see more captive bred Americans make it into the hobby!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Is it legal to sell them because i was planning on realesing them. Thebreeders are wild ones that i was planning on realesing but if it is legal and all might keep them

So i just found that because the toads were wild caught it is illegal to sell the offspring and they need to be realesed. I will realese the offspring obviously but i might look into getting some permits and captive bred toads

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah that’s too bad, but this experience will definitely give you some practice in breeding and raising toadlets. If it’s something that interests you you can look into getting permits or something to legally sell captive bred specimens, or you can see if you can some from other sources. Because American Toads are so easy to find in your yard, it makes captive bred specimens less attractive to most, but I guarantee you you’ll find most dedicated keepers will gladly pay the extra for captive bred toads. They’re honestly the perfect pet amphibian in my opinion - easy to care for, personable and fun to interact with, and very hardy

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

What filter should i use for tads and eggs i saw bubble filters or sponge filters dont have much pull. Replacing the water would be a pain because there is no sink in our basement

Nationality
    [United States]

Those don’t have much pull but they don’t really have mechanical filtration, just biological, so they’ll prevent ammonia buildup but you’ll still need to do large water changes. With toad tads if a regular filter is too strong you’re just gonna have to tough it out and change the water unfortunately. Lucky for you though toad tadpoles grow extremely fast and will most likely be fully formed toadlets within two months of hatching

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

So no eggs today. The others are not breeding should i put them away so they dont disrupt the eggs that are layed

Nationality
    [United States]

I’d say as long as some toads are still in amplexus don’t move any, you’re gonna wanna leave them alone as much as possible, they won’t disrupt the eggs too much

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Thread Information