Thread: cane toads?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default cane toads?

I posted recently about sourcing/experience with another species, I'm looking to get something cause I have an empty 29gallon tank - anybody have anything to say about cane/marine toads? are they legal to keep in Texas? I've heard they're good pets if one takes care to avoid being poisoned.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: cane toads?

They’re basically like keeping a giant American toad. Need a little more humidity but they’re very hardy, great eaters and get huge. Do not underestimate they’re poison though, it can easily kill you, so ALWAYS wash your hands. Also there’s a good chance it’ll need a 40 gallon once it grows up. If you’re nervous about the poison, a great alternative also getting large is the smooth sided toad. Josh’s frogs has them captive bred. They don’t get quite as big though. But if you’re willing to take on the canes them go for it !

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

awesome, thanks!

update: josh's doesn't appear to have them, I searched marine toads and cane toads and nothing came up, anyone know any other good/humane sources? heard some dismal reviews from sources such as backwater reptiles.
    Last edited by BossFrog; May 4th, 2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: small update

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh sorry for the confusion, Josh’s has smooth sided toads, which are an alternative to cane toads that aren’t deadly just in case you were interested. I don’t know who would have any canes right now, but avoid backwater reptiles at all costs! They’re overpriced and ship out very unhealthy animals and will then fight you on the live arrival guarantee. A place that always has a good selection of toads is underground reptiles, but they have mixed reviews so you might wanna do some research. I’d tell you to wait for an expo but not sure when those are happening so if you can’t find one on any seller websites you can check the classifieds in other forums and facebook groups.

edit: also keep in mind that nearly all cane toads for sale will be wild caught

edit edit: underground does have them! $4.99 each plus total $39.99 shipping. Keep in mind they are wild caught though, invasive populations in florida mean that wild caught toads are actually helping the environment a bit, so just keep in mind that they may have parasites. I’ll include the link
    https://undergroundreptiles.com/shop/marine-toad/

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

ahhh I read it wrong sorry its sad that backwater would do something like that, I've heard some horror stories those poor creatures

that's awesome that underground has them and thank you so much for the link and help!! i'll look into em

Thread Information