Thread: Help asap

Exclamation Help asap

He wont eat. I found him and a few others in my window well in march and have been hinernating in my garage ever since. I need help with what to do. Ive moved him inside Name:  15879482296461404184314.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  1.23 MB also should i do the force feed thing with the card

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help asap

Just thought i would give an update an hour later, it appears that my captive pet toads have tought him how to soak its kinda funny, anyways i tried feeding him some mealworms but he did not take any

Name:  15879535795371954723287.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.82 MB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

maybe give it til tomorrow, he's probably pretty stressed and may not eat for a bit. if he doesn't eat by tomorrow id force feed him a little

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He is very stressed and also still slow from the winter. Give him time to adjust and please do not force feed.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    He is very stressed and also still slow from the winter. Give him time to adjust and please do not force feed.
    I agree! With being stressed, it's normal for him not wanting to eat. I'd give it a couple days for him to adjust to his new environment. Very interested to see how things work out, so please keep us updated!

Last week I started to do a little cleanup outside and as I was raking leaves, I uncovered a toad and it was cold & barely moving. I thought about bringing him in with my 2 captive toads but then decided not to because I didn't want to mess up his natural/biological system. It is an adult toad and my goal, or the project that I've been working on, is to overwinter juveniles and re-introduce them to the wild in the Spring. So, it just didn't make sense that I mess with the order of things and bring him in, risk stressing him, and then turn around and place him back outside in a few weeks. However, the nights here in PA are quite cold and I obviously disrupted his temporary lodging and insulation that the leaves provided... so what was I supposed to do??? Well.... I found a log flower planter, dug a shallow hole in one of my flower beds, partially buried the planter and filled with mulch, then placed him inside. Must be really cozy because he's been hanging out in his new home ever since! He'll eventually hop away but at least he knows where he can always return!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Yay hes finally eaten and boy is he a hungry one hes been eating live and freeze dried mealworms bc thats all i have rn. Weve been in this giant storm for the past few days and all the worms are on the driveway so ive been letting him and my pet toads roam around and catch worms. Also, how are you hibernating the juviniles, i currently have one of last years neonates in my garage. I ugraded the tank he was residing in and now its in a critter catcher with a large water source and food

Nationality
    [United States]

That's great that he's eating!! YAYYY!! Don't know where you live but here in PA, the insects have emerged outside so they are pretty easy to find. However, since I started raising toads, I learned how to breed mealies, crickets, roly polys & red runner roaches. Between those and some waxworms that I purchase from my local bait shop... they have a nice variety. I also occasionally collect small slugs from outside and offer those too. As far as overwintering them... I have a 30 gallon tank in my home with lots of substrate and a few accessories that they hide/burrow under, and a water dish for them to soak in. I use a UVB light and supplemental powder to dust the feeders. They never went into a deep hibernation, only slowed down a bit with their activity and eating but now that the temps are warming and the daylight hours are increasing, they are becoming more active. I also have a feeding dish in their tank with waxworms, & mealies that they have learned to eat from. If you looking for other food alternatives... I'm sure you should be able to find some roly polys, millipedes & grubs if you live in a rural area? Check under leaf piles, logs, large rocks, etc... Sorry for rambling on, you may already know all this! Anyway, so glad the new guy is doing well!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Thread Information