Thread: Strange Lump

Default Strange Lump

My 2 year old female African Clawed frog has had a strange lump pop up on her side. She had it for several months now. It isn’t impeding her swimming and she has the same voracious appetite she’s always had. Actually, I thought it was just a “wart” and only recently came to discover it may be something to be concerned about. She has a large tank filter and I keep an eye on water parameters/do regular changes with dechlorinated water. I’ve treated her with a round of Maracyn, in case it’s something bacterial. I’ve included a pic of her with lump. I’m open to information, but break it to me gently. That’s my baby. 🥺
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Strange Lump

Hi! Unfortunately, I think you are going to need to take her to an exotic vet to get a definitive diagnosis. It is not impossible for frogs to develop cancer but it is very rare and unlikely. Scientists have been researching frogs and the fact that they rarely develop cancer and are looking into the genetics of amphibians for any correlations and whether they may hold a key to fighting cancer in humans. Cancer usually grows very rapidly and a cancerous growth typically becomes very hard, like a stone. If your girl's lump hasn't grown fast and/or feels soft, then it's most likely a lipoma, or fatty tumor. Given that she is active and has a good appetite, I don't believe it's anything to worry about. However, if any changes in appearance, size, appetite/behavior occur... then I would most definitely take her to a vet. I wouldn't treat her with any more medication because that may actually cause a problem. Although I am not a professional, I've had my share of dealing with cancer in different animals and from what I have been told and researched... cancer acts the same way in all species, and this doesn't "appear" to cancer, but like I said... you'd need a vet to definitively diagnose or rule it out. I will do some more research specifically on frogs and will let you know if I find anything more. You specifically said that you only recently came to discover that it may be something to be concerned about... Can you explain what led you to that discovery/concern or give me some additional info? Thanks!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Thank you for responding! When I say that I only recently discovered it was something to be concerned about, I don’t mean she has displayed any worrisome behavior. My oldest daughter has forever been sticking her face in the top of her tank and saying “That thing on her side is *ugly.* That’s not just a wart, mama. You’re gonna find out that’s some kinda crazy frog cancer or something.” And about that time, Charming would take a pretty spectacular leap for her face and she’d run screaming from the room while I fixed the aquarium lid. But recently it started to bother me. I’m a worrier by nature. Her tank mate doesn’t have any bumps like that, nor have I ever seen any pics of African clawed frogs with “warts” like that. And even when I took to Google, none of the lumps or bumps were quite like Charming’s. But like I said, she’s still VERY active. She’ll eat anything that doesn’t eat her first. She’s just lumpy.

Nationality
    [United States]

I completely understand your worrisome mind! I'm a momma to many types of animals and I'm constantly worrying over anything that is out of the ordinary and then questioning/researching, so I get it! I am not a vet but I know any animal can develop some kind of lump, bump or cyst and the way it appears to look like it has developed right under her skin, just makes me think of lipoma. Are you able to feel it? Is the lump hard like a pebble or somewhat spongy? If it is soft/spongy... then I really don't think it's cancerous or something to worry about. Just keep an eye on it for any increase in size, especially if it does rapidly grow or if the appearance changes. It's a very good sign that she's active and eating! IF... in the event that you find out what it actually is... good or bad, let us know so we all can expand our knowledge! Good luck with Charming!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

I wanted to give an update on Charming’s situation. This morning when I went to her tank, her lump was gone. It had disappeared as mysteriously as it had popped up. There’s no wound, scratch, or identifying mark to indicate the lump was ever there. I thought it looked like it might be getting a little smaller, but chalked it up to wishful thinking. And today, it’s just gone. I’m completely dumbfounded.

Thread Information