Thread: We are quarantined. Can I feed my African bullfrog hissing cockroaches?

Default We are quarantined. Can I feed my African bullfrog hissing cockroaches?

I hate to do this since my hissing cockroaches are pets but we have been quarantined. My hissers had babies a few months ago so I have some medium sized roaches I could feed my frogs. I always read that the exoskeletons are tough, too tough to feed my froggies?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: We are quarantined. Can I feed my African bullfrog hissing cockroaches?

I don't see why not. I go out in my yard and feed mines anything I can catch.

Default Re: We are quarantined. Can I feed my African bullfrog hissing cockroaches?

You're not concerned about parasites?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm more concerned about that extra money I would be spending on constantly buying insects when I can catch them out in my yard for free. Yes there is a possibility for parasites but that's just part of life. In the wild these animals have a risk for parasites as well. For all the years I've been catching my own insects and feeder animals, not once did I have a frog/toad die or get Ill. Now with that being said, I know the difference between an insect or lizard/gecko that has an illness and one that is healthy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Running into the same problem with my American Toads. I bought a bunch of crickets a few weeks ago and have been trying to breed some of my own but the temps aren't high enough so the eggs are taking forever to hatch. I do have isopod colonies with hundreds of babies, but they are still too small to provide a substantial meal, same with my mealworms. I am also sparingly feeding red runner roaches and waxworms. So, I've been thinking about going outside to forage for beetles and other insects. Yes, I am risking infecting with parasites but the alternative is to not feed them and I obviously cannot do that! If push comes to shove... we'll do what we need to do!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    I hate to do this since my hissing cockroaches are pets but we have been quarantined. My hissers had babies a few months ago so I have some medium sized roaches I could feed my frogs. I always read that the exoskeletons are tough, too tough to feed my froggies?
    Hello

You definitely can.

Grif

Thread Information