Thread: Umm intresting, check this out

Default Umm intresting, check this out

So ive been getting canadian night crawlers as a feeder for my american toa, its natural, cheap and provides a good meal. As its middle of winter they are natruly goin off feed a little bit and are spending more time hiding there for not as hungry. Ive had these nightcrawlers for 2 weeks now and just been keeping them hidrated by spraying them down and keeping them in a drawer i opened it up today and found a couple hundred mites, now i know where there coming from. They were contained to a small corner and i removed the remaing 3 worms. Should i still feed the worms to the toads. I dont know if this is normal and its something to keep an eye out for possibly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Umm intresting, check this out

Name:  20200301_195404.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  1.87 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi!

The mites didn't come from the worms but must have been hiding in the substrate that the worms were transported in. While the mites are not harmful to your toads, I would be more worried about any parasites that the worms could be carrying, so I would recommend not feeding the worms to your toads. I just did some research on mites, because I have some sort of mites in with my isopods, and I was informed by a faculty member of Penn State's Dept. of Entomology that mites will not harm toads. They primarily feed on bacteria and other microarthropods such as Springtails. My mites were not able to be specifically identified from the picture I had sent, other than they are predatory mites, mesostigmatas ?? species. So, I would just dispose of those mites, if you haven't already, and the worms too just to be safe!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Ok should i continue to buy worms from this place. The staff at the exotics store know me well and im a long time customor

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobsherps View Post
    Ok should i continue to buy worms from this place. The staff at the exotics store know me well and im a long time customor
    I don't think it really matters where you are buying your worms from because your local shops may be getting their worms from the same supplier, unless they are breeding the worms themselves. Worms can carry many different kinds of parasites, so no matter where you get them, there is a risk of passing those parasites to your toads. It's really up to you if you want to risk it. I know worms are nutritional, cheap and easy to obtain but only you can decide if you want to use them as feeders. A lot of people would say to go ahead and feed worms to your toads because, after all... that's what they would be eating out in their natural environment BUT when you become an owner/caretaker you have more control over all the options that you can provide for their diet. This is gonna sound contrary but... for the toads that are outside in my yard... I catch worms and feed them to those toads, but I don't feed worms to the toads that I am raising. Once they are released, they will eventually eat what nature has to offer... including worms but I want to give them the best start that I can. To be completely honest... I am not highly educated on the different parasites that can come from various feeder insects/worms and how they would impact the toads health, so I can't tell you what to look out for (symptom wise of an infected toad). All I can suggest is that if you are concerned about keeping your toads parasite free, then skip the worms. Hope that helps!
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Thread Information