Thread: Fecals

Default Fecals

My american toads were both wild caught because they would have died without my help anyway i think they are healthy but im not sure about them being parasite free they eat store bought nightcrawlers crickets and mealworms like a champ they walk fine and are active and pudgey.
    A few things how much are fecals or how can i do this on my own.
    They are housed in quite a large cage with substrate 4 to 5 inches in some spots so they can burrow natruly so i can i find the droppings to be honest ive never seen there droppings anywhere.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Fecals

Also is it worth the money to get them deparasited and wich parasites are actually bad

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobsherps View Post
    Also is it worth the money to get them deparasited and wich parasites are actually bad
    How many toads are living in the enclosure?

How large is the enclosure exactly like how many gallons?

Yes it's very important to get your toads tested right away because it gives you the opportunity to get rid of parasites immediately, so the toads won't have to suffer. I would strongly recommend getting them checked out by a local vet. Most toads die from parasites because people don't get them checked.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

I dont know how many gallons because its an exoterra its the medium low theres just 2 toads how do i obtain fecals i used to keep 6 in a 15 gal bu i realized how crowded it was and let 3 go 1 passed away

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I dont know how many gallons because its an exoterra its the medium low theres just 2 toads how do i obtain fecals i used to keep 6 in a 15 gal bu i realized how crowded it was and let 3 go 1 passed away
    A 40 gallon is great for two toads at the minimum.

You can feed the toads and check the water dish or check the enclosure for poop and then find an exotic vet that will work with the toads.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

The tank is for sure more than 40 gallons

Nationality
    [United States]

I found that each toad is different, so you may need to look around. Depending on how much and how often they eat, they may poop every week or every 2 weeks. One of mine, who is quite plump and loves to eat and soak a lot, tends to poop while it is in the water dish. The other is often buried, but when he pops out and finds another place to hide, I check the area he just came out of and there's usually poop there. If they are eating... they are pooping! I keep both in a 30 gallon tank and that seems to be working fine for them, but one is at one end and the other is on the opposite side. I started off with 9, back in the fall, but released 5 before winter. I had lost two, due to impactions, but before they passed... I had kept all four in the same tank. They were smaller but got along fine, sitting ontop of each other at times but now that I only have two and they have grown... two fit comfortably in a 30 gallon... for now!

As for fecal exams... You'll need to go to a vet specializing in exotic animals and that can become quite pricey! If you live around any universities or environmental centers, try giving them a call to see if they would be able to help you determine if your toads have parasites. Have you been raising toads for a while or is this your first time? There's a lot of great info to find on this forum.
    Last edited by ToadilyNuts4Nature; March 2nd, 2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: additional info
    ~Cathy

I have learned... still learning... ALWAYS LEARNING!
    Every moment is a teachable moment!
    Mistakes are not always a terrible thing, especially when you learn from them!

Thread Information