Thread: Tips on raising temperature in tank while not lowering humidity?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tips on raising temperature in tank while not lowering humidity?

Hi! I got my first pacman frog (I have owned a pyxie frog for a year now) and am concerned about the temperature. My thermometer is reading it at about 74 degrees F which I know is on the low side. My humidity is reading about 75.

1. Size of enclosure: Unknown gallon-wise, measures 20''L x 11.5''W x 12''H
    2. # of inhabitants: Only the one frog
    3. Humidity:~75%
    4. Temperature: 74 F
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: Tap water treated with Reptisafe
    6. Materials used for substrate: Eco-Earth brick, with moss mixed in
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.: Half log, corner water dish, and two artificial plants
    8. Main food source: I have red wigglers on hand, but have not fed yet.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? Only got the frog today, but I have calcium and vitamin A for my pyxie on hand.
    10. Lighting: None as of now
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: UTH labelled for 10-20 gallon tanks
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: Unknown
    13. Have you found poop lately: Unknown
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) Photos will be below.
    15. How old is the frog: Not sure, but very small still so probably about 3/4 months
    16. How long have you owned him/her: Just got it today
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: Captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: N/A
    19. How often the frog is handled: Have only handled to move it from container to tank
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: Low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): None except for setting it up so far.

The water dish is behind the plant on the left so you can't see it in the photo. I'm also aware the frog appears very pale (strawberry morph) but as far as I can tell that's either just itss normal coloration or due to stress from moving.
    The most logical idea to me feels like adding a heat lamp, but I'm just a little concerned about taking the towel (not in picture) off the top of the lid because I don't want humidity to escape :/ My other thought would be a larger heat pad as this one isn't very large and covers very little of the bottom.

The frog is called Georgie by the way!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tips on raising temperature in tank while not lowering humidity?

Is the enclosure covered? If not, a cover or partial cover would help maintain heat and humidity. Or you could simply turn up the thermostat on your under tank heater. If this results in a loss of humidity, add moisture to the substrate on the warm end.
    As long as the substrate remains moist, you don't need 75% humidity. For that matter, I don't think you really need the temps much higher, either. You should only have the heating pad under a portion of the enclosure, giving it a chance to seek cooler temps if it desires.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tips on raising temperature in tank while not lowering humidity?

Hi! Thanks for replying. I actually ended up covering most of the lid with tinfoil and getting a ceramic heat emitter. It's working a lot better for me

Thread Information