Thread: Help figuring out my Bufo alvarius behavior

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help figuring out my Bufo alvarius behavior

I’ve had a pair of B alvarius for a little over a month. They acclimated quickly and were eating like beasts. A few days ago one of them started pacing the tank (60g long) and just trying to get out. He has not eaten since starting this and he has not stopped except for a little rest this afternoon. Nor the other one has started acting like she just is not happy. They have been passing well, the smaller of the two started passing smaller stools... then today, nothing! They look good, skin good, eyes clear, no bloating. No signs of impaction. The smaller, the first to start acting off, is allowing me to pick him up.. but I believe he’s just exhausted because this has been three days of him trying his hardest to get out of his tank. He does struggle and vocalize right get free.
    they have been eating dusted crickets daily and each have had a few mice. The substrate is eco-earth. I don’t have UVA/B lighting and at night I’ve keep the temp regulated with a red light (they have a blue light heat lamp during the day when the temp drops).. I am not sure if the humidity because the gauge was garbage and stopped working. They have a large bowl of water that they share, but it is not deep enough for them to float. They each have hides and there were a few plants (I’ve removed them since the little guy is just plowing over them and I just figured I’d get them out of his way).
    im really starting to worry, I don’t understand why, when they appeared to be so happy for weeks, that they are behaving like they want to be anywhere but in that tank now. I definitely don’t want to lose them and a vet isn’t available to see them until the end of next week. I’ve had their tank covered for two dats now, just trying to settle them down, doesn’t help one bit. They are in a room that’s just for them, not a bunch of traffic or activity that would upset them. I did open a window before this all started and they seemed to enjoy the view.. but I’m wondering if they weren’t just looking out singing ‘somewhere out there’ to themselves 😭😭😭 .. and I’m hoping I didn’t cause this by doing that one thing.

any ideas? Any advice? I’d appreciate anything 🙏🏻
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information