Thread: Terrarium Ideas.

Default Terrarium Ideas.

Iam still trying to decide on how to make my terrarium. Sad part is... My parents dont want me using live plants anymore. They say that the plants throw off spores onto the air and that its causing my allergies to go haywire. Which is true. They also dont want me using heavy stones because Ived done tanks with stones and they broke the tank. So Iam now stuck on how I can do my tank with either fake plants, light weight rocks or ornaments that look like rocks that are lightweight. I know the toads are very small right now so it doesnt matter because I can do them when their a little older. But Iam trying to get ideas. Should I even care about the decorating it that much? Or would they just constantly burrow down. When I had my old ones they never burrowed down more than 5 hours a day. I never used undertank heaters. I kept the heat level up to 72 which at that time is what I read on a carebook was right.

Could anyone s how me pictures of their tanks?
    Does anyone know where I can get cheap fake plants that dont look like crud(walmart plants look bad)? I dont want silky plants Iam just not a fan of them. If they get wet they droop down(past experience). I dont want anything that has metals on them. The only plants I like that are sold on petsmart are the ivy. If its alive Iam looking for something that doesnt release spores or can trigger allergies.

Sorry if Iam asking too many questions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Terrarium Ideas.

There are a lot of live plants that you can use in a terrarium that will not have any affect on your allergies. Go to a plant nursery in your area and an educated sales person there should be able to point you in the right direction. That way you could see the plants and make sure they would be the proper size for your setup.

bshmerlie

As far as the rocks, depending on the size they can add a lot of weight. Why don't you consider a nice peice of wood. They look very natural in a frog tank and they are a lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    As far as the rocks, depending on the size they can add a lot of weight. Why don't you consider a nice peice of wood. They look very natural in a frog tank and they are a lot lighter.
    I was thinking of adding some drift wood but I dont know if a toad would actually use the drift wood. I like rockformations alot but it seems I cant use the bigger ones. Anything bigger than 3inches they wont allow. Ived had past troubles with larger rocks so I guess I see their point. But Iam trying to think of lightweight rocks that will not break my tank. Currently the bigger toad I measured wrongly. He actually is 2inches long. I guess I made a mistake on that one. Well actually hes a little under 2 inches a few centimeters off. But I guess he can go in the larger tank. Iam thinking I want to buy a larger plastic kritter keeper. This one is well a bit too small even for crickets. Now I know why my crickets wouldnt survive. :P Only the babies survive. So I guess id use that for baby crickets and the larger ones can go on a medium sized bin. At any rate I just want to make sure I got everything right. Ace being the larger of the two is not afraid of humans as much as the smaller one. They actually remind me of males. I cant say for sure. But they have ummm... How do I say this... pink gonads. Its kinda weird. Where I found them it seems theres only one variation of the american toad. The tan brown. The larger one changes colors sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    There are a lot of live plants that you can use in a terrarium that will not have any affect on your allergies. Go to a plant nursery in your area and an educated sales person there should be able to point you in the right direction. That way you could see the plants and make sure they would be the proper size for your setup.
    I will try to find one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

i have horrible allergies too so i understand that lol but i have live plants in mine that dont bother my allergies at all, so there are plants out there that you could use

8. This member thanks Katieasaur for this post:

Paul Rust

Here is my opinion on the matter.

1. Get your own house.
    2. Fill it with frog tanks.
    3. Fill tanks with frogs.

Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post

1. Get your own house.

Problem solved!
    Iam saving for one. With the money Ihave I can only afford a shack right now. xD Jk jk. But nah Iam just waiting for a really nice house to appear on the classifieds. Hoping to live by the Del. Water gap. If I live there ill be as happy as a frog with bugs. :P Also it depends on job opportunities. Im going to college but I dont know what I want to be yet. Its quite sad.

Anywho Iam thinking Id go with plants like phelodendruns.

Oh while Iam at it. You are the other person I said I considered as a pro! I just forgot your name. Paul. Right? :P

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Iam saving for one. With the money Ihave I can only afford a shack right now. xD Jk jk. But nah Iam just waiting for a really nice house to appear on the classifieds. Hoping to live by the Del. Water gap. If I live there ill be as happy as a frog with bugs. :P Also it depends on job opportunities. Im going to college but I dont know what I want to be yet. Its quite sad.

Anywho Iam thinking Id go with plants like phelodendruns.

Oh while Iam at it. You are the other person I said I considered as a pro! I just forgot your name. Paul. Right? :P
    Don't feel bad Kevin, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

eufa1313

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post

1. Get your own house.

Problem solved!
    My thoughts exactly.....
    Kevin, I'm not hating, your 19
    Are u in college? Why do u live with yer parents bro?
    I have my own place my wife complains all the times but we have a zoo, lol
    3x cats
    2x armadillo lizard
    3x green tree frog
    1x xtra lrg. Royal python

Working on getting a leopard geko
    She's a beauty.. she's year/&half old
    But the people that own her wants $100 for her & tank.
    I don't need/want the tank because its broken

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by eufa1313 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.....
    I must have missed your intro.
    Welcome

My thoughts exactly.....
    Kevin, I'm not hating, your 19
    Are u in college? Why do u live with yer parents bro?
    I have my own place my wife complains all the times but we have a zoo, lol
    3x cats
    2x armadillo lizard
    3x green tree frog
    1x xtra lrg. Royal python

Working on getting a leopard geko
    She's a beauty.. she's year/&half old
    But the people that own her wants $100 for her & tank.
    I don't need/want the tank because its broken
    I have alot of issues that need to be solved before I move out on my own like therapy, social skills, and somethings that I just plain dont understand need to be worked. I stopped college a while ago so I can find a better path for me. As well as I just dont have the money at the moment. Where I live finding a job is not easiest thing to do. But that goes anywhere. Also theres other issues I have that need to be taken care of. Some of them being health issues. I believe Iam in a path for bettering myself. See I didnt want to move out early because I d ont want to end up in the streets should I get fired from a job. My brothers are older 22-24 with no disabilities and are still with my parents. My oldest is majoring in psychology I believe he already got his bachelors. He wants to go for his doctorates. The middle one wants to be a mechanic I guess so hes working to be one. As for me IAm trying to look into the fields of animals and nature because my own problem is. If I dont find any interest insomething I wont give it my all. IAm pretty sure there is also something for me to do in those fields. So Iam trying hard to find something that suits my lifestyle and mind. So far Ived come up with vet tech, or even a vet, theres also park ranger though I dont know if thats enough money to lead a succesful life(car, house, food and essentials). Theres also an animal controll officer or an animal law enforcer. I think the two are different. One is animal control and the other one is a law enforcer(cop). I was also thinking I could be a botanist or a biologists. But Iam more suited for working out doors. So thats pretty much why. :P

Kurt

I have alot of issues that need to be solved before I move out on my own like therapy, social skills, and somethings that I just plain dont understand need to be worked. I stopped college a while ago so I can find a better path for me. As well as I just dont have the money at the moment. Where I live finding a job is not easiest thing to do. But that goes anywhere. Also theres other issues I have that need to be taken care of. Some of them being health issues. I believe Iam in a path for bettering myself. See I didnt want to move out early because I d ont want to end up in the streets should I get fired from a job. My brothers are older 22-24 with no disabilities and are still with my parents. My oldest is majoring in psychology I believe he already got his bachelors. He wants to go for his doctorates. The middle one wants to be a mechanic I guess so hes working to be one. As for me IAm trying to look into the fields of animals and nature because my own problem is. If I dont find any interest insomething I wont give it my all. IAm pretty sure there is also something for me to do in those fields. So Iam trying hard to find something that suits my lifestyle and mind. So far Ived come up with vet tech, or even a vet, theres also park ranger though I dont know if thats enough money to lead a succesful life(car, house, food and essentials). Theres also an animal controll officer or an animal law enforcer. I think the two are different. One is animal control and the other one is a law enforcer(cop). I was also thinking I could be a botanist or a biologists. But Iam more suited for working out doors. So thats pretty much why. :P
    Not all park rangers work with nature, some are assigned to historical sites.

eufa1313

Hey that's awesome, I'm glad the young ppl are actually planning out there lives,
    I wish I had did that, I would have made a better life for myself, but alas i didn't..
    other than that, i wasn't being rude to you guy.. not that you took it that way..
    I make it a point not to be rude or malicious towards ppl, there's already enough of those ppl out in this world already..
    Im a noob to this stuff also.. so we can learn together you've obviously been a member of this site longer than I, so maybe you can help me with a few things
    I hope all of your problems are sorted out in a timely fashion,
    Right now i work at a mentally taxing job & a wife that spends every dime I earn with total disregard to our own well being...
    So yea, take yer time.. if you try, things will come around... if not,

Ohh & thank you for the welcome, i posted my introduction a few weeks ago, its there "NEW GUY" if you really want to read it.

Hey that's awesome, I'm glad the young ppl are actually planning out there lives,
    I wish I had did that, I would have made a better life for myself, but alas i didn't..
    other than that, i wasn't being rude to you guy.. not that you took it that way..
    I make it a point not to be rude or malicious towards ppl, there's already enough of those ppl out in this world already..
    Im a noob to this stuff also.. so we can learn together you've obviously been a member of this site longer than I, so maybe you can help me with a few things
    I hope all of your problems are sorted out in a timely fashion,
    Right now i work at a mentally taxing job & a wife that spends every dime I earn with total disregard to our own well being...
    So yea, take yer time.. if you try, things will come around... if not,

Ohh & thank you for the welcome, i posted my introduction a few weeks ago, its there "NEW GUY" if you really want to read it.
    Hmm well now things are starting to sort itself. Going on a dietary regiment, Iam being taught social skills and cues(on and off teachings), Iam making newer friends where I live in since the friends I had I left because of immaturity. I may be getting a new job soon. My friend is trying to find me a start up disk and Iam saving up for a key. Iam also saving up for a car and a home. I just dont want to rush moving out of the house just because Iam 19. Theres alot of things I need to do before I even think of that. First off I dont want a house that gives me a lot of hassle since IAm just starting out. Iam saving up for a brand new car because again Iam new at cars so I cant go with something thats already used. Iam thinking of something along the lines of a dodge ram pick up truck(durable, safe, reliable and does the job). Iam also narrowing down my path to what I want to do. I just want to find a job I want to stick with because... Frankly I dont want a job where I get paid a ton of money but then Iam not really happy doing it. As well as I dont want to live in an apartment because frankly of too many rules. I want my own set of rules. The girl I like who moved to a far away place is comming back to where I live in around 2-3 years. So things are starting to look up for me I guess.

As for giving you a welcome. Well thats just how Iam. I like to be friendly and nice.

@Kurt: Yeah I know, but I want to specify on working out on nature preserves and such. Or even campsites. That is if I ever go to do that. Either way I still need to go to school. Whether its vocational or college I just need a degree so I can atleast have better success at getting a job. I figured I should have atleast a bachelors. If I need more studying then Ill do what I can. You know?

Also on the topic of the terrarium. I just bought a larger kritter keeper since the toads were in a smaller kritter keeper(5inches long) and now they are in a kritter keeper thats 14inches long, 8inch tall and 8inch wide. I fit in a hiding ornament so they dont feel stressed constantly. I also fit in a small water dish. Its only deep enough to soak the larger toads legs. So the crickets dont drown. I bought the kritter keeper for 16bucks at petco. I know I know its a rip off but I figured I can use it also for the earthworms when the toads are ready to transfer. As well Iam getting an idea of some ornaments I could use. I could go off to the mall and buy these goblin statues that are like 8inch tall and 5inch wide. I could get 3 of them or 2. I was also figuring Id go buy some plants. But Iam asking for parents permission first. My friend is going to take me to a nursery. My friend gave me a "mister". What it does its like a water bottle spray. It sprays the tank a bit every day. :P I still cant figure out the light switch. Iam going to buy myself another. Ill see if I can look up instructions online.

I prepared a gallon of water in this large apple juice container. Cause I keep wasting the conditioner(Iam bad at measuring). So I put in boiling hot water in the containerr. I put in 4-5cubes of rocksalt(3/4 of an inch). I poured two capfulls of amquel. I mixed it in and Iam letting it sit there. The water is crystal clear. I put in some salt in there because its not enough to harm the frogs and its also good for them to have a little bit of it. Where I used to work we did this for all the fish and reptiles and amphibians. But we only did very small quantities. In turn we saw an improvement on health. So Iam giving it a try.

Btw The larger toad has NO poison glands visible. Why???

Thread Information