Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi! I'm so excited to be part of this forum. I found a gray tree frog this summer (in Maryland) sleeping in a crack in the footbridge near the bath house of our campground. She would have gotten stepped on, so I picked her up and decided to keep her. She grew plump over the summer and fall, and is very happy waking me up at night by jumping all over her cage.
    This past weekend, I went to a reptile expo near me and decided to get two more tree frogs, a golden tree frog and a red eyed tree frog. I love them both very much already, and I can't wait to get into this hobby more!

I've been keeping exotics for four or five years, I'm a mantis breeder and I currently have about 90 mantids, a jumping spider, a tarantula, two geckos, and three anoles as well as the three frogs.

I hope to get into dart frogs someday because they've always interested me, but I'm happy with my tree frogs for now. (If this hobby is anything like mantids, geckos, or tarantulas, it's hard to not get more and more into the hobby )
    - MantisGirl13

2. This member thanks MantisGirl13 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by MantisGirl13 View Post
    Hi! I'm so excited to be part of this forum. I found a gray tree frog this summer (in Maryland) sleeping in a crack in the footbridge near the bath house of our campground. She would have gotten stepped on, so I picked her up and decided to keep her. She grew plump over the summer and fall, and is very happy waking me up at night by jumping all over her cage.
    This past weekend, I went to a reptile expo near me and decided to get two more tree frogs, a golden tree frog and a red eyed tree frog. I love them both very much already, and I can't wait to get into this hobby more!

I've been keeping exotics for four or five years, I'm a mantis breeder and I currently have about 90 mantids, a jumping spider, a tarantula, two geckos, and three anoles as well as the three frogs.

I hope to get into dart frogs someday because they've always interested me, but I'm happy with my tree frogs for now. (If this hobby is anything like mantids, geckos, or tarantulas, it's hard to not get more and more into the hobby )
    - MantisGirl13
    That's very cool to breed Mantids! They are one of my favorite inverts. One of my friends is breeding them but just the Chinese Mantis.

I keep Gray tree frogs and I have many posts on here about them. If I can help you with them just let me know. I'm in PA so not that far from you!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

4. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello MantisGirl13! Welcome to the Frog Forum Family! I am new to the forum, as well, but I have been browsing it for many months to collect info regarding raising American Toads. The people in this forum are very nice and have a multitude of excellent information, suggestions and advice which I am so thankful for! I haven't posted a formal introduction of myself yet but will do so soon. Just wanted to say that it is so nice to have people, who have a passion for a plethora of living beings, that take the time to communicate, share, educate & promote the well being of all things found in nature! I am enjoying my experiences with the forum and hope that you will too! Also, I think it's awesome that you raise/breed mantids! I love them... actually I love everything, but mantids are very cool! My experiences have been with only Chinese Mantids but I have been able to watch them breed, feed and one of the coolest things I've seen was a female laying her eggs and creating an ootheca!! It was long but AMAZING! I live in Eastern PA and depending on the area/habitat, I don't see them in large masses and sometimes go a couple years without seeing any, which is a bummer. However, last year as I was cleaning up some shrubbery, I was able to find some hatchlings and was so surprised how the babies look exactly like mature mantids, just very tiny! It was an awesome experience to find them because of how small they were... I had to look very close! I have a pic, so when I find it, I will upload it!

Thanks for the welcomes!
    I love forums like this because they are a place where I can fit in with everyone and no one judges me for being weird.
    I love my menagerie, as my parents call it, but being different (most fifteen year old girls won't even get close to a large insect, lizard, or frog, let alone breed roaches to feed them all) makes it hard to find people who understand my weird interests.
    Cathy, I totally agree, mantids are amazing. My first mantis was a Chinese, and now I have species from all over the world (got orchid mantids yesterday!!)
    You should try keeping them!
    - MantisGirl13

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the welcomes!
    I love forums like this because they are a place where I can fit in with everyone and no one judges me for being weird.
    I love my menagerie, as my parents call it, but being different (most fifteen year old girls won't even get close to a large insect, lizard, or frog, let alone breed roaches to feed them all) makes it hard to find people who understand my weird interests.
    Cathy, I totally agree, mantids are amazing. My first mantis was a Chinese, and now I have species from all over the world (got orchid mantids yesterday!!)
    You should try keeping them!
    - MantisGirl13
    YOU'RE ONLY 15!!! Well... you go girl! you're AWESOME not weird! I will be turning 50 in March and I don't remember a time that I was not exploring and bringing critters home, which my parents would make me release eventually! However, over the years, I did learn that the best place for wild animals is in the wild but there some exceptions... I know a lot of people are against keeping wild animals as pets and I would even agree but I find it more appropriate if it's a rescue situation, born already in captivity or caught as babies, and/or as a restorative process. For myself... I am constantly on the look out when I'm outdoors and I have been blessed to have witnessed so many glorious creatures that most people disregard or are not aware that they even exist! Everytime I find something new, I scramble to share it with someone. My family call me a geek/nerd and when I was younger, my school friends & teachers would call me "Biology Girl". How I didn't follow into some kind of veterinary or other animal occupation still baffles me, but I am a scientist/biologist/entomologist... all kinds of ***gists at heart! Will be 50 and always learning! so, I will say this to you... If what you are doing brings you happiness and you are helping/benefiting a species in some way... then keep on keepin' on girl, cause that is AWESOME! Like I said, I've been exploring/discovering/studying all things in nature my entire life and it brings me great joy! I have a retaining wall that leads to my home, which is made of railroad ties and it had been decaying over the last 25 years, turning it into what I call "The Living Wall"! It is home to some many different critters.... bugs, snakes, salamanders & toads. However, I noticed that the number of toads has declined majorly and the insects are ravaging my plants. Therefore, it is my goal to increase the numbers of toads to provide natural bug control. My nephew has a pond where I can collect late season babies and this is the first time that I have housed/cared for toads and this forum has been extremely helpful! In addition to frogs & toads, there are discussions about many other species, which is so interesting & cool! And I agree with you... this is a great place to let my geekness/nerdiness flow!! So, I look forward to learning more about Mantids from you and hearing about what you have learned and what info you have to share!

Actually, I'm 14, turning 15 in March, so not too long! I want to be a biologist someday, I'm super interested in cytology and medical research as well as entomology and such.

I find it amazing how so many people can just overlook the neatest organisms in creation. I'm fine with being weird though, even proud of it! Lol. I've been called a geek and a nerd and I love it. I love learning and studying all kinds of creatures, and I'm homeschooled, so I have plenty of time to do just that!
    Frogs and toads are super cool, I see hundreds of american toads all summer (I camp all summer in MD). I like raising tadpoles and releasing the baby toads too, they are so cute!
    - MantisGirl13

Nationality
    [United States]

Actually, I'm 14, turning 15 in March, so not too long! I want to be a biologist someday, I'm super interested in cytology and medical research as well as entomology and such.

I find it amazing how so many people can just overlook the neatest organisms in creation. I'm fine with being weird though, even proud of it! Lol. I've been called a geek and a nerd and I love it. I love learning and studying all kinds of creatures, and I'm homeschooled, so I have plenty of time to do just that!
    Frogs and toads are super cool, I see hundreds of american toads all summer (I camp all summer in MD). I like raising tadpoles and releasing the baby toads too, they are so cute!
    - MantisGirl13
    AWWWW! You just made me smile! Sounds like a younger version of me! Follow your dreams girl and never lose that love for nature! You are a rare breed of youth these days and I am so glad that you are proud of yourself!

10. This member thanks ToadilyNuts4Nature for this post:

Thanks!
    I don't plan to ever lose sight of my dreams or my love for 'unusual' creatures.
    - MantisGirl13

Thread Information