Thread: Is This Normal Behavior?

Default Is This Normal Behavior?

Hey everyone. New to the forum (happy to be here). On December 31st I got a new Acf. It's been a wonderful experience so far. She's growing well (nearly tripled her size since I got her), eating well, and seems happy in her enclosure. She explores, and has regular resting spots. I know acf are air breathers and surface to get air but my girl likes to just hang out at the water line. Is that normal?
    Attachment 81565

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? 10 gallon full volume

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? 1 mystery snail, 1 regular catfish, 1farlowella catfish, 1 small rainbow shark, 1acf. Currently gathering supplies (under gravel filter, powerhead, possibly a heater) to set up a 20 long for the acf the regular catfish and some snails.

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? 50/50 previous tank water & bottled distilled water at set up. Sat for a week then added the frog, shark, and farlowella catfish to the existing catfish and snail after my betta died 🙁. Refilled as it evaporates with a gallon of tap water that i keep on the counter. Added 1 tablespoon aquarium salt when originally set up and add 1 tablespoon every 5 fill ups with the evaporation gallon.

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)? 75ish. Submersible heater.

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample. No idea. Haven't had the water tested.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR] whisper 2 hang on back of tank filter

7. Substrate type? Large blue pebbles

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank? Several artificial plastic and silk aquarium plants. A Japanese pagoda hide out.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? Shared amongst the tank, Fed daily, 1 superworm (like a big mealworm) cut into 4, a small block of bloodworms dissolved in a bit of water from my counter bottle, 4 brine shrimp pellets. 1 algae wafer.

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)? None

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? Just an LED hood light, from about 10am to 9pm.

12. When is the last time frog ate? Last night

13. Have you found poop lately? Not sure, the filter works pretty good. What does it look like?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).
    Attachment 81567

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Hanging out at the waterline, looks a little bloated but could just be full.

16. How old is the frog? Assuming a couple months. I've had her since dec 31,2019

17. How long have you owned him/her? 1 month

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Assume captive as she was from a local aquarium shop.

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)? No

20. Any salt in water (how much)? Yes, 1 tablespoon

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? Low traffic

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). Change filter cartridge every 2-3 weeks as needed, refill evaporated water when it reaches a gallon low, usually don't do water changes unless I'm doing a full breakdown and clean like i did after my betta died, but even then it was half old water half distilled water and a tablespoon of salt. Plants are sprayed with white vinegar and scrubbed then rinsed under screaming hot water.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments ☺

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is This Normal Behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit D Frog View Post
    Hey everyone. New to the forum (happy to be here). On December 31st I got a new Acf. It's been a wonderful experience so far. She's growing well (nearly tripled her size since I got her), eating well, and seems happy in her enclosure. She explores, and has regular resting spots. I know acf are air breathers and surface to get air but my girl likes to just hang out at the water line. Is that normal?
    Attachment 81565

Apologies for being so late to the game. First of all, that is WAY too much salt. Salt doesn't evaporate with the water, so even marine fishkeepers top off with fresh water and don't add salt unless they're doing a water change. Second of all, please tell me that tap water is treated with dechlorinator. Thirdly, ACFs are best housed alone; they're highly predatory of anything smaller than they are, and they tend to get harassed and nipped by fish they can't eat. Certain armored catfish even have spines-- not good for frogs. Also, a 10 gallon is good for an ACF alone, but that tank is way more overstocked than I would run it.

As for behavior, floating at the surface is totally normal and fine for ACFs as long as they're not showing other signs of distress. My girls like to either hang out on the bottom or float with their little noses poking out. Totally normal.

Thread Information