Thread: HELP! Green Tree Frog Hibernation Advice

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy HELP! Green Tree Frog Hibernation Advice

Hi all,
    I have a green tree frog (hyla cinerea) that I believe is trying to hibernate/brumate. I obtained her in March through my job where I work as an environmental educator. She was purchased from a pet store in February and we brought her around to schools for our programs so she did not get a chance to hibernate at that time.

I try to maintain the temp in her tank at mid/high 70Â’s during the day and high 60Â’s low 70Â’s at night. I mist her tank a couple times a day to maintain humidity as well. Every other day I pick her up (wearing gloves) and put her in her feeding tank and offer her crickets and mealworms. She is very cooperative and doesnÂ’t hop away when I go to pick her up, and immediately upon placing her in the feeding tank, she goes for her food.

A few days ago I could not find her in her tank (she is usually hanging out under the light or on a side of the tank) so I started moving some of the moss substrate around and found her burrowed. I took her out to feed her and she ate a good sized meal immeadiately. I put her back and have not seen her out and about since.

My question: Is she trying to hibernate/should I let her?

I have done a lot of research and still have NO IDEA what to do because a lot of what IÂ’ve read is conflicting.

I feel like hibernating would be stressful, but I want to do what is best for her.

I know that during hibernation/brumation frogs sometimes become active and look for food. Given I take her out to feed, I am not sure what to do.
    Should I put crickets in her enclosure so she can wake up and go after them when she wants? Or should I take her out to feed if I see she has become active and come out of her burrow?

Please help me and my froggy, thank you soooo much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP! Green Tree Frog Hibernation Advice

Quote Originally Posted by hyla View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a green tree frog (hyla cinerea) that I believe is trying to hibernate/brumate. I obtained her in March through my job where I work as an environmental educator. She was purchased from a pet store in February and we brought her around to schools for our programs so she did not get a chance to hibernate at that time.

I try to maintain the temp in her tank at mid/high 70Â’s during the day and high 60Â’s low 70Â’s at night. I mist her tank a couple times a day to maintain humidity as well. Every other day I pick her up (wearing gloves) and put her in her feeding tank and offer her crickets and mealworms. She is very cooperative and doesnÂ’t hop away when I go to pick her up, and immediately upon placing her in the feeding tank, she goes for her food.

A few days ago I could not find her in her tank (she is usually hanging out under the light or on a side of the tank) so I started moving some of the moss substrate around and found her burrowed. I took her out to feed her and she ate a good sized meal immeadiately. I put her back and have not seen her out and about since.

My question: Is she trying to hibernate/should I let her?

I have done a lot of research and still have NO IDEA what to do because a lot of what IÂ’ve read is conflicting.

I feel like hibernating would be stressful, but I want to do what is best for her.

I know that during hibernation/brumation frogs sometimes become active and look for food. Given I take her out to feed, I am not sure what to do.
    Should I put crickets in her enclosure so she can wake up and go after them when she wants? Or should I take her out to feed if I see she has become active and come out of her burrow?

Please help me and my froggy, thank you soooo much!
    It really depends on where your frog is from. If it's a green tree frog from Florida they might not brumate. If it's a green tree frog from somewhere else in the south it only might brumate for 2 months or 3 months at a time. You also if it's a wild animal in your state would have to look up the laws for keeping them because it is illegal to brumate native amphibians from the state of Pennsylvania unless you get permission from The Fish and Boat commission. So first I would encourage you to look at where your frog came from and decide on the laws about it.

It is a conflicting idea because it can stress the frog out but also it preserves their life. It's not necessarily important unless you want to keep the Frog around for much longer than the captive lifespan. It requires a lot of hard work and being precise. The reason why I know this is because I'm working with native species from my state. I was given special permission to be able to do so and I'm also doing research on native amphibians with my school.

honestly it would be more convenient for you and probably much easier on the Frog if you would increase the temperature and increase the humidity. I would recommend putting plexiglass over top three fourths of the enclosure and possibly investing in a fogger or a misting system. Also offering different food and using supplements is very good.

another thing about brumation if you were to feed your tree frog while it was trying to brumate it would die because the food would rot in the guts of the Frog while it was sleeping. I hope this helps please let me know if you have any further questions. I really admire you asking this question because most people would never even think to do such a thing. If you can find key information and you still wish to go through with this then we can talk further about the brumation if you PM me. If you wish to just keep the green tree frog going all year round which it can definitely do I can also help you with the requirements for that. If any of this doesn't make sense I'm using my voice command so I apologize ahead of time I am just not able to sit down and type out everything at the moment.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thread Information