Thread: Mozambique Rain Frog

Question Mozambique Rain Frog

I'm interested in getting my first frog and have looked at several options, I think I want to get a Mozambique Rain Frog but I can't find much information on how to care for that specific type of rain frog, any tips from people experienced with this type of frog?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mozambique Rain Frog

This species in only sporadically available in the US and to my knowledge they are all wild caught. If this is your first foray into keeping frogs I would recommend starting with a different more readily available species that is preferably captive bred. Acclimating a wild caught animal can be difficult and disappointing in the end if it fails to thrive. I would try and find some scientific journal articles and begin there if you are committed to starting with this species. (B. Mossambicus). They do feed on termites in the wild and that in and of itself may be a hurdle. Plus any wild caught animal is going to need a fecal and dealing with parasites can be daunting. I don’t keep this species and I’ve never even seen one in person. That is not so say though that it hasn’t been done.

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    This species in only sporadically available in the US and to my knowledge they are all wild caught. If this is your first foray into keeping frogs I would recommend starting with a different more readily available species that is preferably captive bred. Acclimating a wild caught animal can be difficult and disappointing in the end if it fails to thrive. I would try and find some scientific journal articles and begin there if you are committed to starting with this species. (B. Mossambicus). They do feed on termites in the wild and that in and of itself may be a hurdle. Plus any wild caught animal is going to need a fecal and dealing with parasites can be daunting. I don’t keep this species and I’ve never even seen one in person. That is not so say though that it hasn’t been done.
    That's solid advice!

I think they are found in a portion of like Mexico too possibly but I could be wrong.

We learned about them in my bio class and they are also known to eat ants. If anything an ant colony would have to be used as a feeder so the frog or frogs if legal to own would need the owner to have an ant colony to feed them. That could be challenging.

I think their care is similar to a spadefoot toad so they aren't very active animals from what I remember but maybe they could be if the conditions are right.

Like Dan said it would probably be easier to keep another species first because I think they would be very difficult to get. There isn't a lot known about them so there is a lot that could go wrong.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This species also became a bit of a YouTube sensation so I understand it’s popularity and interest in it.

7. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Thread Information