Thread: Help, badly broken leg on frog! (with pictures)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help, badly broken leg on frog! (with pictures)

My mom's horse stepped on a frog and destroyed a hind leg. I really want to help it, but it doesn't seem like any animal rescues in the area accept amphibians, and the vet doesn't take wild animals. I know very little about amphibians (my experience lies mostly with turtles and fish), so I'm asking for help. I have no idea what kind of frog it is, but I'm in northern Illinois. The frog was hiding in mud, and he's about 2 inches long nose to butt.

Name:  unidentified frog.jpg
Views: 9697
Size:  221.4 KB

I know the leg's got to come off (it's only gotten more twisted and discolored since the picture was taken). It's a clean break. Everything above the knee appears healthy. I really hope I made the right call, but I tied a string tightly around his knee to help cut off blood flow to that mangled mess (the picture is from before the string). Despite the injury, he's active and alert. He's settled down in the water, hiding under its surface but periodically raising his head for air. After I tied the leg he's started responding to my presence, shying away slightly when I reach in.

I don't want to leave the leg on for too long and risk infection, but I'm worried about the next steps. Does anyone have any experience treating major injuries like this? I saw that neosporin without pain killers is recommended for frogs, but how do I keep the wound clean and healthy while keeping the frog's skin moist?

I have a 20 gallon long tank to keep him in with wet paper towels along the floor and a dish of water (and I have a spray bottle to mist the tank with). I have small crickets to feed him when he's willing. The temperature is 72F, but I have no idea how to measure humidity.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Torqued Teeth; October 22nd, 2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: the photo was huge

Thread Information