Thread: New Huge Cane Toad

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Huge Cane Toad

Greetings! I have gained a lot of information off the site so I figured I would join! I have had a variety of amphibians when younger and as (more) of an adult a large pixie frog and a Colorado River toad that eventually sold to other hobbyists when I was moving apartments before I bought a house a few years ago.
    I have always wanted a huge cane toad after seeing one in the Chicago zoo. Something about those giant toads just captures the imagination, perhaps it’s from seeing our native toads so often and something so much larger is so attention grabbing, even seems like an animal from a fantasy realm to me. Anyway I had kept an eye out for years for a really big specimen. It seems like many places just estimate the size and it’s like a fish story, “oh they must be 10 inches!” but if you ask for a photo with a ruler or if they are really that big you get “well I guess they are closer to 6 inches….”

Well I saw NERD had some monster suriname toads. After emailing them I was pretty assured it was the monster I was looking for and quickly placed an order, and sure paid a premium, but they delivered.

You can see in the pics she is 9.5-10” and (with tote zeroed out of course) she varies around 3.4lb and after a big feeding and bath sometimes pushes 4lb.

Here is the tricky bit, she has never fed for me in 5 months. I have tried earthworms, hornworms, moths, superworms, dubia roaches, hissers – nothing. I read here and other places these big females can take a long time to get sorted in captivity. I took fecal sample in for worm test was it was ok said the vet. I feed her the above foods and also mazuri amphibian and carnivorous reptile and rephasy grub pie gels as staples. We have a system where I slip a credit card in the corner of the mouth and pop the food in. Not ideal but she has just started coming out to her water bowl at night so I hope we are heading down the right path after 5 months.
    He house is a exo terra 36x18 naturalistic vivarium. I drilled the bottom for drainage with a bulkhead and pipe and there are from the bottom up, clay balls, substrate barrier, then josh’s frogs sphagnum mixture with leaves and their bioactive kits of springtails and rolly pollys. Heat mat on the side with thermostat to shut off above 74 air temp (which it never gets) and large corner water bowl with a cave hide.
    I recently made a mistake, I took her outside to see if hopping around would do her any good, and she hopped a few times over the concrete driveway, didn’t think much about it, but she is so heavy it cut her leg. Appeared to be healing well but then got very swollen so we just came back from the vet yesterday with a shot of bayril (her skin bent the 1st tiny needle he tried) and 10 days of giving it to her orally. The vet wondered if she might have had the infection already and the cut just exacerbated it, but who knows. He is also going to take another look at a fecal sample, but hopefully she will make a full recovery. The dose he is using is 5mg/day which is on the lower side but a good think considering the side effects it has sometimes.

A long intro I know! I know it’s slow in here so this is more FYI for anyone that might stumble across the site with a google search like I did.

Name:  1t.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  53.1 KBName:  2t.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  45.2 KBName:  3t.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  105.0 KB

2. This member thanks Hart24601 for this post:

Thread Information