Thread: Draining the Drainage Layer?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Draining the Drainage Layer?

I've kept fish for a long while, but am brand new to the frog scene. I plan on setting up a standard 29g as a bioactive fire-bellied toad enclosure. In the land portion, I'm thinking of using hydroballs for the drainage layer with ABG, sphagnum moss, and leaf litter on top (with a barrier, of course). I don't own anything other than the 29g and haven't set anything up yet.

I realized earlier today that the drainage layer more than likely needs to be drained itself. How do I go about this? I'd rather avoid drilling if possible as I don't have the means to do that myself and I am currently in college, so don't want to pay for someone else to do it unless there is no other way to accomplish this. I've tried to find other articles about this, but haven't been very successful in finding options other than drilling. I'm going to have live plants and possibly a waterfall feature, and I'll be misting manually. No idea how often I'll need to mist, though. I think the humidity level would be fine on its own with the amount of water that'll be in the tank, but I imagine the plants would need it regardless. I only really have experience with aquatic plants, though, so I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I've always loved frogs and am really excited to put this together.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Draining the Drainage Layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pakals View Post
    I've kept fish for a long while, but am brand new to the frog scene. I plan on setting up a standard 29g as a bioactive fire-bellied toad enclosure. In the land portion, I'm thinking of using hydroballs for the drainage layer with ABG, sphagnum moss, and leaf litter on top (with a barrier, of course). I don't own anything other than the 29g and haven't set anything up yet.

I realized earlier today that the drainage layer more than likely needs to be drained itself. How do I go about this? I'd rather avoid drilling if possible as I don't have the means to do that myself and I am currently in college, so don't want to pay for someone else to do it unless there is no other way to accomplish this. I've tried to find other articles about this, but haven't been very successful in finding options other than drilling. I'm going to have live plants and possibly a waterfall feature, and I'll be misting manually. No idea how often I'll need to mist, though. I think the humidity level would be fine on its own with the amount of water that'll be in the tank, but I imagine the plants would need it regardless. I only really have experience with aquatic plants, though, so I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I've always loved frogs and am really excited to put this together.
    If you are going to keep fire bellied toads then you will need a lot of humidity. One way people have gotten around mold and fungus growing is having a bunch of springtails and isopods. The day will go underneath you're barrier to the drainage level and eat any fungus growing.

I have about a 5 gallon water area and I have a drainage layer. The best way to do it is to empty the water from the water area and let the rest of the water come towards where you're emptying it out and just keep emptying it. It would be a tedious task but it gets the job done. If you're doing more frequent water changes or or including a pump and planning on keeping the water very clean then you won't have issues with the water as much. I don't keep these animals but it's very similar to the concept that I am doing for the temperate animals I keep. I hope this helps somebody might respond that has done this and they might have an easier process. If you do not get a good answer you can try posting your question in a couple of different places to see if maybe the right person will finally read it.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

If you don't mind me asking, how do you keep your land and water areas separate? I'm guessing a plexiglass barrier or anything similar wouldn't allow you to drain like that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I actually use something called bio drain. It is a good barrier and keeps the lad and water areas separate

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thread Information