Thread: Pacman Frog Tank size

Default Pacman Frog Tank size

Hello,

So I have an ornate pacman frog, which I believe is likely female..I've been calling her Tallulah.

Anyway, I've had her for about a month now, and got her as a baby. She was a little bigger than a quarter, but now is a little over 3 inches STV.

Up until a week ago, I've kept her in a 3 gallon beta tank. 3-4 inches of coco fiber, shallow water dish (with de-chlorinated water). Tank temps were maintained between 86-80. She was eating daily- a diet of nightcrawlers, locusts, freshly molted superworms, small fish and shrimp. I dust regularly with calcium and multivitamins.

Anyway, she became quite a chunk based on this routine, so I moved her to a 10 gallon long..as the 3 gallon was too small for her.

In this new tank, she has 3-4 inches microfiber, a larger water dish, some moss to help retain humidity (and because she likes burrowing under it), and a fake plant. I have her tank next to a CHE as to provide indirect, radient heat. With this, the temp is at 82-83 on the warm side, and 78-79 cool side. I mist regularly, and the top is partly covered in plexiglass to retain humidity.

I think I'm doing okay with the setup, however..It took her about 4 days to calm down and settle into the substrate, and even after this, she isn't eating as much or as often now. She also requires some enticement.

So my question is this; is the 10 gallon long too big for her? If so, I'll move her into a smaller tank. I just wanted to provide a better temperature gradient.

Name:  received_405572223409807.jpeg
Views: 1025
Size:  108.3 KB

I don't know why this picture is upside down, or why it won't let me remove it. So I apologize for that. Both of these pictures were taken prior to the tank switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog Tank size

Hello

She just needs time to adjust. It may help to position her water dish of any other furniture she has in similar locations based off her previous setup.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hello

She just needs time to adjust. It may help to position her water dish of any other furniture she has in similar locations based off her previous setup.
    Thank you for responding

Okay, I wasn't sure if the tank was too big...its been well over a week and shes still like this. When I first brought her home she started eating within the hour, and I kept her in a small kritter keeper. She was the same way when I moved her to the 3 gal-wasn't phased really. So this made me nervous.

I added the fake plant recently to provide more security, but she prefers the moss. I'll try orienting everything the way her old setup was.

I left her alone for a few days and when I went in today to check on her, she was out and ready for food. She...definitely ate to make up for lost time.

So that's resolved. But since I already have a thread going here, I'll just ask:

Does she look like, well, a she?

I realize she's still young, but I just gave her a bath and measured her at 3 1/2 inches STV. I see no nuptial pads either, and there's been no croaking. All this growth in just a month is insane..

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePossum View Post
    I left her alone for a few days and when I went in today to check on her, she was out and ready for food. She...definitely ate to make up for lost time.

So that's resolved. But since I already have a thread going here, I'll just ask:

Does she look like, well, a she?

I realize she's still young, but I just gave her a bath and measured her at 3 1/2 inches STV. I see no nuptial pads either, and there's been no croaking. All this growth in just a month is insane..
    If the frog is not calling and no nuptial pads are present, then it is most likely female.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    If the frog is not calling and no nuptial pads are present, then it is most likely female.
    I just wasn't sure because the frog is still fairly young, if that mattered. But figured I'd ask here anyway

Nationality
    [United States]

3.5" is about average size for an adult male, but if you have doubts you could always play some Pacman frog calls on your phone from YouTube in the room the frog is kept in and see if the frog responds. Best to use the call belonging to the species. Most makes will respond to rival male calls.

I measured again, and "she" has slowly pushed past 3 1/2 inches since the last time. I've never had a pet grow this quickly.

I trust your input, and paired with my own (however novice) observations, I think it's safe to go with female. Not that it matters, outside of personal preference....I just really want a large, healthy frog. She just ate her first mouse today (f/t, developed, but only slightly bigger than a pinkie), and it was gone in an instant. She's just as aggressive taking them as my snake is, although obviously this will be an occasional treat...

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Wow amazing frog really big one

Thread Information