Thread: Baby Green Tree Frog Won’t Eat! HELP!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Baby Green Tree Frog Won’t Eat! HELP!

I have a baby green tree frog that I raised from a tadpole. I redid his/her cage today and noticed a ton of dead crickets. Apparently she has never eaten since turning from tadpole to baby frog! I noticed when he/she jumped onto the side of the tank that he/she is very skinny. You can see his/her spine and it just doesn’t look good. I have taken most things out of the tank to make sure that he/she isn’t missing the crickets. I don’t know what else to do! I feel like he/she is starving to death, literally.

I took two pictures of him/her earlier and he/she already looks skinner? Please help!

(I obviously do not know if it is a male or female yet.)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Baby Green Tree Frog Won’t Eat! HELP!

Sorry I just found this. Get a jar of wingless fruit flies at your local pet store immediately. Be sure to pick one out that has the most already hatched. Get a small tank preferably around 5 gallon or smaller, make a fine mesh screen to keep the fruit flies from escaping. Put the froglet into the tank, shake as many fruit flies as will come out of the jar, and let the froglet eat like this over night. You should see a profound change by the next day. Keep feeding this way for a couple of months at least, maybe longer depending upon how much the froglet grows. At the age indicated by the photos even the smallest pinhead crickets are too large for this little one to eat.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Do the feeding method described throughout the night and put the froglet back into it's home habitat to sleep during the day, as they are nocturnal and keeping them on that diurnal schedule is critical to keeping them healthy.

Also, don't put anything into the feeding tank with them like sticks or places to hide as they don't need those things when hunting at night, and the fruitflies will crawl up the walls of the tank where the froglet will be climbing.

You should see the little one get itself onto the ledge, under the screen cover inside the frame of the tank where the fruitflies will cluster and this will make it very easy for it to feast with as little energy expenditure as possible. This is good for a froglet. Especially one in this condition. Eventually they become very active, aggressive, acrobatic hunters but when new the less physical ones can benefit from easy feeding. The ones that aren't explosive jumpers, acrobatic climbers and aggressive eaters would not survive in the wild beyond the first week at the longest.

All of my Gray Tree Frogs are ones that would not have survived.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Another thing is that if your froglet just absorbed its tail, even if it was within a few days from these photos it should be fine if you do what I recommended.
    Making sure they have a bowl of water that they can easily get into and shallow enough that they can sit in without floating in the water is essential. Lack of clean water to soak in on a daily basis will kill them long before a lack of food.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The other most essential factor in their survival is temperature range.
    Gray Tree Frogs are much more tolerant of cool temps than heat.
    Make sure the habitat and the feeding tank both don't get too warm.
    These frogs ideal temperature range for healthy activity is 68-78 degrees farenheit, but cooler than 68 isn't a problem whereas above 78 especially sustained for any length of time can be harsh to deadly.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I hope your froglet has survived and is doing well.

Thread Information