Thread: new white's tree frogs not eating or moving

Nationality
    [United States]

Question new white's tree frogs not eating or moving

hello!! i just got three baby whites tree frogs from a reptile expo yesterday morning and im ecstatic to have these little guys, but as a first time frog owner (any cold blooded animal really) im a little nervous because theyre refusing to take food. Is it because theyre new and getting acclimated or because its daytime? Im also wondering if it may be the freeze-dried crickets (my dad wouldnt let me purchase any live, but i will if the frogs need it). On top of this they havent moved in 16 hours, (just shifted a little as i slept but still not moving).

Please give me any advice you have, including any tips for a first time frog owner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new white's tree frogs not eating or moving

Welcome to the hobby. I’m going to ask a few questions and offer some suggestions to get you on track. Obviously though, I cannot get into all the care specifics but we need to begin somewhere. I’d strongly recommend searching the forums and doing some serious research on your own. You seem to be a bit unprepared but you did the right thing by asking for guidance. There is a lot to learn but fortunately, this species is more forgiving than some. Now, as for your immediate dilemma, it is not abnormal for this species to be inactive during the day. You are more likely to see them up at night. A period of acclimation is normal and they can go a few days without food. So here it goes:

1. First and foremost: offer live prey only. Appropriately sized crickets that have been gutloaded are a good staple to start off. Dust your feeders with repashy supercal or a comparable supplement and always have a clean bowl of dechlorinated water present. Phoenix worms are also a good supplemental prey item. Make sure you have a period of lights out at night. As for everything else:

2. Can you describe the enclosure in detail? (Substrate, size, decorations, etc.)
    3. Are you providing a day/ night cycle..
    4. Approximately how big are your frogs?
    5. What temperature are you maintaining them at?
    6. What type of lighting are you using?
    7. Are you maintaining humidity in the enclosure?
    8. Did the vendor offer any care instructions?

Answering these questions will make it easier for experienced keepers to offer advice.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks for responding.
    the enclosure is a 12x12x24 exo terra, ill upgrade them once they grow a bit though
    substrate is cocohusk from zoomed and theres a large water dish, a large branch, a plastic plant that suctioned to the wall and hangs down, a bridge style platform across the top, and a teacup as a hide. everything was cleaned with dechlorinated water before being put in.
    i am providing a day and night cycle
    the frogs are 1 inch in length
    the temperature is 75
    im using uvb lighting
    humitity is 50 with 70 after misting
    vendor did not offer any instructions but i have contact info (outback reptiles)

thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok your setup sounds good. I’d continue to offer live 1/4 to 1/2 inch crickets every other day or so and monitor them closely. I’m sorry the seller didn’t provide you with at the very least some basic care instructions but it happens. I have purchased from them before and they are a big dealer. Odds are though that at that size your frogs are CB but bear in mind they can be delicate and easily stressed at that size. Give them some time to settle in and hopefully they will come around.

6. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

two of the boys have eaten!!!! theyre also becoming more active and sleeping in more open spaces in the tank so im assuming theyre becoming more comfortable

Thread Information