Thread: What to feed baby American toads

Default What to feed baby American toads

I need help with feeding baby toads. They just left tadpole stage and they're no bigger than my thumb nail. I've been trying to feed them things that I've caught around my backyard but literally everything is too big for them. It's kind of urgent since they haven't eaten in almost a week now and I don't want the poor things to starve If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be great! Preferably wild caught bugs. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: What to feed baby American toads

Quote Originally Posted by whatscroakin View Post
    I need help with feeding baby toads. They just left tadpole stage and they're no bigger than my thumb nail. I've been trying to feed them things that I've caught around my backyard but literally everything is too big for them. It's kind of urgent since they haven't eaten in almost a week now and I don't want the poor things to starve If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be great! Preferably wild caught bugs. Thanks!
    Hi there, If you wish to capture wild caught insects you must make sure they are from an area that does not use pesticides, fertilizers or harmful chemicals. Make sure they are small enough for the small toads to eat and not choke or be attacked by them. (You can capture a lot of small flying insects by sweeping an aquarium net through the grass). Small woodlouse found under leaves or rotten logs are also an option. You can also set a fruit fly trap to capture a large supply of small flies for your toad . All in all that's how I would go about capturing small insects for baby toads however I personally do not do this as I do want to risk feeding my pets insects that make have come into contact with harmful fertilizers from my neighbours. For a safer option to feed your toads You can also buy small crickets (commonly referred to as pinheads) from the local pet stores or flightless fruit flies (certain pet stores carry these). Ensure that the small toads receive calcium dusting to their food as it is essential for their development into adults. All in all good luck with your toads

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You could use fruit flies and springtails and flour beetles I think they are called. Checkout Josh's Frogs Insect and feeder section.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions. I fed them baby woodlice yesterday evening and they ate a few but that's about it. Are they healthy looking for baby toads? Here's a pic of them. (chocolate milk cap for scale)

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 5.27.15 PM.png
Views: 506
Size:  4.43 MB

Thread Information