Thread: Separating flightless fruit flies from dust?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Separating flightless fruit flies from dust?

How do you all go about separating flightless fruit flies and other very small feeders (pinheads etc) from excess calcium/vitamin powder when dusting?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Separating flightless fruit flies from dust?

I pour a little supplement into a 32 oz deli cups, add the flies and shake. It’s easy once you get the hang of it and it allows you to dust more evenly. As far as removing excess dust the best way is to not over do it. They will groom themselves clean as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is it harmful to feed flightless fruit flies to my frog directly on the substrate? I've read other places substrate can cause impaction if consumed. I'm using compressed coconut fiber as his substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Which species are you feeding?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Which species are you feeding?
    Sorry, left that part out. It's a squirrel tree frog

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie W View Post
    Is it harmful to feed flightless fruit flies to my frog directly on the substrate? I've read other places substrate can cause impaction if consumed. I'm using compressed coconut fiber as his substrate.
    My opinion on substrates in general is that they're too hazardous to make them worthwhile. I tried a few before determining that they're not necessary, but I have Gray Tree Frogs which makes substrate less necessary to begin with. If you can find an otherwise harmless substrate that they can't inadvertantly ingest go for it but if they aren't burrowers they're probably better off without it.
    When I kept native Toads a long time ago, I just used the local soil so they could burrow into it. It started out at least halfway up the tank and I put moss-covered treebark slabs on top of it. They never had any problems eating the dirt as it was slightly packed on top aside from where they burrowed and they stalked and ate on top of the mossy bark slabs most of the time. I maintained them without any health problems for a little over 10 years then released them around the house and tracked them for about 4 more years.
    KP

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    My opinion on substrates in general is that they're too hazardous to make them worthwhile. I tried a few before determining that they're not necessary, but I have Gray Tree Frogs which makes substrate less necessary to begin with. If you can find an otherwise harmless substrate that they can't inadvertantly ingest go for it but if they aren't burrowers they're probably better off without it.
    When I kept native Toads a long time ago, I just used the local soil so they could burrow into it. It started out at least halfway up the tank and I put moss-covered treebark slabs on top of it. They never had any problems eating the dirt as it was slightly packed on top aside from where they burrowed and they stalked and ate on top of the mossy bark slabs most of the time. I maintained them without any health problems for a little over 10 years then released them around the house and tracked them for about 4 more years.
    KP
    Thank you so much! At our local reptile store they dont have substrate on the bottom of their tanks either which I discovered them after I had set up his terrarium.
    I came into owning a free frog by accident. He came back with us in our travel trailer from Florida so I was in a hurry to get his habitat set up. Its been a learning process but he's a cutie!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie W View Post
    Thank you so much! At our local reptile store they dont have substrate on the bottom of their tanks either which I discovered them after I had set up his terrarium.
    I came into owning a free frog by accident. He came back with us in our travel trailer from Florida so I was in a hurry to get his habitat set up. Its been a learning process but he's a cutie!
    You're quite welcome Elsie. I have a few photo albums here, some of which are of variations of my Tree Frog habitats that may give you some fun ideas. Just click on the link on this message below my ID and location info that reads "Picture Albums" and look through them.

Thread Information