Thread: American toad coloration question

Default American toad coloration question

Hi all,

The other day while I was hiking I spotted a small American toad that was bright reddish orange in coloration.Normally the toads in my area are usually drab in coloration and I was wondering how common is it to find one with this distinct trait.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: American toad coloration question

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi all,

The other day while I was hiking I spotted a small American toad that was bright reddish orange in coloration.Normally the toads in my area are usually drab in coloration and I was wondering how common is it to find one with this distinct trait.
    What state or territory were you in when you saw the toad?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    What state or territory were you in when you saw the toad?

I was in an area of Canada which is home to eastern American toads and not any other species of toads that I am aware of. I wish I would have gotten a photo but it was really fast and jumped into thick brush.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was in an area of Canada which is home to eastern American toads and not any other species of toads that I am aware of. I wish I would have gotten a photo but it was really fast and jumped into thick brush.
    I believe they have the dwarf American toad. You can find red dwarfs in the south of the US as well.

I believe they have the dwarf American toad. You can find red dwarfs in the south of the US as well.

The area I was in is to far north for dwarf American toads to be located nor has there been any reports of them. Are they common to be found with this color

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The area I was in is to far north for dwarf American toads to be located nor has there been any reports of them. Are they common to be found with this color
    I've never seen a regular sized toad that color only the dwarf American toad. The Canadian American toad for a larger part in Canada is said to be the dwarf so maybe you found a spot where some live?

I mean anything is possible. All I know is that there have not been any reports of the dwarfs in my part of the country and the American toads that live by me are capable of growing 5 inches long and as round as a baseball . So maybe it is just a color morph thing kinda like finding an albino animal But thanks for your reply anyhow! if I see another one I will try to get photo for better reference

Nationality
    [United States]

hudson bay toad?

Quote Originally Posted by butchblues View Post
    hudson bay toad?
    I don't personally live in Hudson Bay however it is possible there are Hudson Bay toads (which are just a very colourful subspecies of American toads) in my area therefore it I could have been one maybe?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I mean anything is possible. All I know is that there have not been any reports of the dwarfs in my part of the country and the American toads that live by me are capable of growing 5 inches long and as round as a baseball . So maybe it is just a color morph thing kinda like finding an albino animal But thanks for your reply anyhow! if I see another one I will try to get photo for better reference
    I have never seen an American Toad reach 5 inches you should get a picture of one if you can. Also I've never heard of a Hudson Bay toad. Maybe it's just a color morph for that specific region.

I have never seen an American Toad reach 5 inches you should get a picture of one if you can. Also I've never heard of a Hudson Bay toad. Maybe it's just a color morph for that specific region.

Ive only seen large female toads grow to 3-5 inches which makes sense as the females are larger than males .Hudson Bay toads (anaxyrus americanus copei) are a subspecies of American toad that can be found in the northern parts of several provinces in Canada. They are not usually found in my area as I don't live way up north but there have been reports of toads not too far from where I live with their distinct patterns. It is very likely that as you stated that the toad that I witnessed was just a specific colour morph of eastern American toad for the area I was in as I have notice that different areas of my region have eastern American toads with different distinct patterns from toads of another area. I can post pictures if I see anymore with interesting patterns .

Thread Information