Thread: Black Soldier Fly Larvae survived alive from my Pixie Frog's digestive system.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [Turkey]

Default Black Soldier Fly Larvae survived alive from my Pixie Frog's digestive system.

Hi! I have a healty African Bullfrog. It is eating well. And defecating regularly. But last week he ate fifteen bsf larvae and the other day he defecated. But four of the bsf larvae was still alive. How can it be possible? Is my frog have a problem. He is eating morio worms and dubia roaches regularly and never happened something like this. Any ideas? Thank you for your answers.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Black Soldier Fly Larvae survived alive from my Pixie Frog's digestive system.

BSF larvae are pretty soft so I can't imagine how they would survive the digestive tract of any animal, not to mention they would most likely suffocate from being deprived of air that long. Are you certain he ate them all? If you fed him in his enclosure it could be possible that some escaped into the substrate, survived there, and began eating his poop when he defecated later.

Nationality
    [Turkey]

Default Re: Black Soldier Fly Larvae survived alive from my Pixie Frog's digestive system.

He (i think it's a male. But not sure)ate all larvae in feeding container. And i can remember the number of the larvae. May be he puked them but there was feces too. Any way he is happy and eating well. Thank you for your answer.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Actually let me correct myself, it seems that it's fairly common for BSF larvae to pass through frogs' digestive systems completely whole and still alive. I'm surprised, I was always under the impression that they're soft and easily digested. Some keepers have suggested to try poking a hole in the exoskeletons with a needle before feeding, so you can try that. Otherwise I'd say that maybe BSF larvae are more suited to reptiles that chew their food a little before swallowing rather than frogs.

Nationality
    [Turkey]

Yeah. Their exoskeleton must be stronger than other feeder insect. Because in the feces even dead ones were not digested. It is really interesting they can live without air all that time. I will remember poking hole with needle before feeding. Thank you very much.

Thread Information