Thread: Tree frog won’t eat

Default Tree frog won’t eat

Hi,

I have an adult Pacific Tree Frog whom I’ve owned for two and a half years.
    In previous times, he would go to his food plate for breakfast, then spend the rest of the day in his tube.
    He would eat two mealworms every morning.
    However, for the past week, he has refused to leave his egg carton and won’t eat or hang out in his tube.
    Even if I drop a live, wiggling mealworm in front of him, all he does is turn his head away and ignore it.
    He is not bloated and he moves fine. There is no redness on his underside.

My questions are what might be the problem and how I can convince him to eat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tree frog won’t eat

Can you describe your current enclosure and feeding routine. Are you only feeding mealworms? Are you supplementing with a calcium and vitamins? Also was the frog an adult when you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskel1 View Post
    Can you describe your current enclosure and feeding routine. Are you only feeding mealworms? Are you supplementing with a calcium and vitamins? Also was the frog an adult when you got it?
    Hi!

I found this frog and have been caring for him for two years, but he didn’t come with instructions. I don’t know how old he is, but I found him as an adult. I have been purchasing and feeding him mealworms solely. I keep him in a 13-gallon dry tank with organic soil and a pool of water with some logs and rocks to hide under. This tank is kept indoors in my home at room temperature, but I also manually spray a water mist in the tank daily.

He has been more active lately, mainly at night. However, he still does not eat much, like he used to.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have read that this pacific tree frogs rarely live longer than 3 years so you might be starting to see signs of old age. Calcium and vitamin dusting would be really beneficial as well as offering some other types of insects especially something with a softer exoskeleton. Josh’s frogs actually sells quite a few feeders through amazon which makes it pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskel1 View Post
    I have read that this pacific tree frogs rarely live longer than 3 years so you might be starting to see signs of old age. Calcium and vitamin dusting would be really beneficial as well as offering some other types of insects especially something with a softer exoskeleton. Josh’s frogs actually sells quite a few feeders through amazon which makes it pretty easy.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for telling me!

I’ll see what I can do about the vitamin dusting and other types of food.

Thread Information