Thread: Planted toad tank Help

Default Planted toad tank Help

Hi there

I am planning on upgrading my toad tank from an exo terra 18x18x24 to a 36 gallon long tank. I wanted to know how to go about making the tank naturalistic by adding live amphibian safe plants. Since I am in Canada the only place to collect plants is from the wild, nursery or store and ordering online is not an option. I was hoping to create a setup with plants that don't require special lighting and are shade tolerant such as mosses, grasses or a specialty plant such as a hosta. Are the plants that are sold in the garden centre of the local nurseries safe to be in contact with amphibians or do they contain harmful chemicals or fertilizers. What type of bedding would be best to grow the plants, would eco earth work?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Planted toad tank Help

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi there

I am planning on upgrading my toad tank from an exo terra 18x18x24 to a 36 gallon long tank. I wanted to know how to go about making the tank naturalistic by adding live amphibian safe plants. Since I am in Canada the only place to collect plants is from the wild, nursery or store and ordering online is not an option. I was hoping to create a setup with plants that don't require special lighting and are shade tolerant such as mosses, grasses or a specialty plant such as a hosta. Are the plants that are sold in the garden centre of the local nurseries safe to be in contact with amphibians or do they contain harmful chemicals or fertilizers. What type of bedding would be best to grow the plants, would eco earth work?
    Hello,
    Plants from the wild can be harmful to your pets. They can have harmful parasites like nematodes that can kill your pets. So ferns and ivy from a plant nursery would be best for your toads. Pothos is a good plant with toads.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Hello,
    Plants from the wild can be harmful to your pets. They can have harmful parasites like nematodes that can kill your pets. So ferns and ivy from a plant nursery would be best for your toads. Pothos is a good plant with toads.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    what about the chemicals that are used on the plants in the nurseries ie pesticides, fertilizers I would have thought that would be concern for terrariums. Is there a way to clean off the plants so they are not toxic to amphibians

thanks for your reply

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Nurseries do generally use fertilizers and pesticides. Before planting in a vivarium, I remove the plants from the pots, and rinse them carefully, leaves, roots and all. I use the mist setting on a garden hose sprayer to minimize damage. So far, so good.

6. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you want to buy a pothos or ivy from a nursery, you can then take a cutting from the plant and thoroughly rinse it with dechlorinated water. You could probably just throw it in your tank after that, although I would personally wait a little bit and make more cuttings after the original starts to grow. If you put the original in right away, keep a close eye on your frog for awhile, and absolutely make sure you thoroughly wash it.

You can clean and propagate wild moss if you really want to. Serpa Design has a wonderful video on his youtube channel. Just look him up.

Good Luck with your little guy's setup!
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

8. This member thanks Animallover3541 for this post:

Thread Information