Thread: wild Ranid frog care

Default wild Ranid frog care

Hi all

I am curious about how wild frogs are as pets (northern leopard frogs, wood frogs, mink or green frogs). If anyone has experience with these frog species please share

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: wild Ranid frog care

Yes except mink because many places they are listed as an animal you cannot take.

You need at least 29 gallons for Green Frog or Northern Leopard Frog and a 40 gallon for a pair. Try if you can to get a sexed pair it usually works best. You can give them a 75 gallon as adults and they will use the entire tank. Green frogs need 80-20 water to land so a small island to dry off time from time. The Northern Leopard Frog loves land more then almost any other ranid except the Wood Frog. So 60-40 or 70-30 land to water ratio is good for them. I would only keep up to 3-4 but 2 is the most comfortable for them so they have their mate and no competition.

Temperature should be between 65-78 but Green Frogs actually do bad in 80+ conditions. Both are fun and the Green Frog is the most bold and you can hand feed. Green Frogs are abundant so you can get them anywhere. You have to see either online to buy or if your state allows leopard frog possession.

The Wood Frog is very advanced. They are terrestrial and are very nervous and need cooler temps or will pass away. These are not common pets and I will be doing a care sheet on them and on Northern Leopard Frogs but I would say not to attempt with Wood Frogs. They aren't good to start out with.

I hope this helps if you need tips on more like feeding and etc I'll be happy to help

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

4. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Yes except mink because many places they are listed as an animal you cannot take.

You need at least 29 gallons for Green Frog or Northern Leopard Frog and a 40 gallon for a pair. Try if you can to get a sexed pair it usually works best. You can give them a 75 gallon as adults and they will use the entire tank. Green frogs need 80-20 water to land so a small island to dry off time from time. The Northern Leopard Frog loves land more then almost any other ranid except the Wood Frog. So 60-40 or 70-30 land to water ratio is good for them. I would only keep up to 3-4 but 2 is the most comfortable for them so they have their mate and no competition.

Temperature should be between 65-78 but Green Frogs actually do bad in 80+ conditions. Both are fun and the Green Frog is the most bold and you can hand feed. Green Frogs are abundant so you can get them anywhere. You have to see either online to buy or if your state allows leopard frog possession.

The Wood Frog is very advanced. They are terrestrial and are very nervous and need cooler temps or will pass away. These are not common pets and I will be doing a care sheet on them and on Northern Leopard Frogs but I would say not to attempt with Wood Frogs. They aren't good to start out with.

I hope this helps if you need tips on more like feeding and etc I'll be happy to help

I appreciate your response. To tell you the truth I have kept mink, leopard and wood frogs since I was a kid (Never kept a green frog but have seen many of them in ponds). I just watched them metamorphosis from tadpoles than released them once they were frogs. I was just unsure how they would fare in captivity as a pet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    I appreciate your response. To tell you the truth I have kept mink, leopard and wood frogs since I was a kid (Never kept a green frog but have seen many of them in ponds). I just watched them metamorphosis from tadpoles than released them once they were frogs. I was just unsure how they would fare in captivity as a pet.
    Were you thinking about owning one now? I think it would be best to go with the Green Frog or Leopard Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Were you thinking about owning one now? I think it would be best to go with the Green Frog or Leopard Frogs.

Honestly, I enjoy my current pet amphibians but I do like the thought of owning a northern leopard frog (as opposed to a green frog or wood frog) with them as that species can tolerate a terrestrial style aquarium . Northern leopard frogs are also a bit of a challenge to find in northern Ontario for reasons I am not sure of.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Honestly, I enjoy my current pet amphibians but I do like the thought of owning a northern leopard frog (as opposed to a green frog or wood frog) with them as that species can tolerate a terrestrial style aquarium . Northern leopard frogs are also a bit of a challenge to find in northern Ontario for reasons I am not sure of.
    It would probably be best to purchase one from online that might help avoid legal issues

Thread Information