Thread: My toad William (about age 8 or 9) is extremely bloated, can't get around, constantly making a clicking noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy My toad William (about age 8 or 9) is extremely bloated, can't get around, constantly making a clicking noise

William might be impacted. He's a 8 or 9 year old american toad that I've had for the past 7 years. Never had a health problem before. He can't get around and I'm worried he'll get dehydrated so I have been putting him in his water dish once a day for the past few days. His little abdomen feel like a water balloon. I have soaked him in warm water 10 minutes a night for the past 2 days. No sign of a bowel movement. My cousin (who is an amphibian biologist) said he might be mineral deficient. So I put some calcium soaked crickets in there and put a little bit of calcium powder in his water dish. Nothing seems to help.

I am worried sick about the little guy. If it does come down to it and I have to kill him how do I do that? I'm not sure if I can get to a vet. Couldnt find a herp vet in my area and the ones we take our cats and dog to doesnt do amphibians.
    I don't think William is eating. I saw him lunge for a cricket and completely miss it but he's always had terrible aim lol, but looks like there's the same amount of crickets in his tank
    Based on research I've done and people i've talked to my best guess is some combination of metablic bone disease and an impaction. Like I've said, he's EXTREMELY bloated. He can't walk or hop, and hes been dragging himself around with a bit of success by his arms. I'm not sure what to do. Not sure how I can live without the little guy but if he's suffering maybe it's best to end that.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My toad William (about age 8 or 9) is extremely bloated, can't get around, constantly making a clicking noise

This might be too late but if you try using UVB light it will help. Try to feed wax worms or butterworms they move slower and will help the toad put on weight.

Instead of using this supplements you can switch to Mazuri better bug gut load. this is actually made for Native species animals it seems to have what they need to prevent MBD.

Mazuri Gut Load

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...eder-crickets/

Study
    http://healthdocbox.com/Nutrition/65...bufonidae.html

Good luck!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Default Re: My toad William (about age 8 or 9) is extremely bloated, can't get around, constantly making a clicking noise

I tried to feed him some wax worms. He didn't seem interested in them. My dad wants to force feed him but I'm not too keen on stressing him out any more than he already is. Wouldn't a lamp overheat him?
    I don't know if it's a nutritional issue, either. I have done some research and it looks like edema can also be caused by organ failure. He's pretty old so it could be possible. Again. he's SUPER bloated so the mobility issues could also be related to that. If he gets through this I'll definitely try gutloading his food.

I never even supplemented his food before because I didn't know any better. I feel bad if this problem is because of a calcium deficiency but he did somehow manage to have a good 7 years of health. I got him from my school after a science unit where we learned about various animals but I guess I didn't learn much.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ceniloar View Post
    I tried to feed him some wax worms. He didn't seem interested in them. My dad wants to force feed him but I'm not too keen on stressing him out any more than he already is. Wouldn't a lamp overheat him?
    I don't know if it's a nutritional issue, either. I have done some research and it looks like edema can also be caused by organ failure. He's pretty old so it could be possible. Again. he's SUPER bloated so the mobility issues could also be related to that. If he gets through this I'll definitely try gutloading his food.

I never even supplemented his food before because I didn't know any better. I feel bad if this problem is because of a calcium deficiency but he did somehow manage to have a good 7 years of health. I got him from my school after a science unit where we learned about various animals but I guess I didn't learn much.
    It could be kidney failure that happens with a lack of nutrition. The UVB won't overheat the toad. Low level could help the toad take in D3 which may help. It may be too late but worth a try. It's up to you but toads can live over 10-40 years. So he could have life left but it's going to take money and a lot of it. It's understandable whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information