Context:
I've owned beardies for six years and wanted to get into owning amphibians. I've looked into getting cane toads but am skeptical if I should get some. Upon my research, I've encountered a number of problems. One, I'm having trouble finding a good place to get them; I've looked online and the only sellers I've found are backwater reptiles, underground reptiles, and reptile city. I have heard bad reviews about all three and am reluctant to buy from them. I do have a family friend who has a pond full of them in Hawaii (She didn't put them there) however I'm not sure customs are cool about shipping the invasive species (even if they are leaving the islands). Another problem is their poison; I know it's not that bad for humans (i don't plan to lick them) but I'm concerned about my cats. I don't want a $400 vet bill when I accidentally forget to wash my hands or if one hops out of my hands.

Question:
Does anyone have information on where to get cane toads or if it is legal to import them from Hawaii? Should I be concerned about other pets ingesting their poison? Is there another large amphibian species that would make a better pet?

Thank You for reading