Thread: White's Tree Frog get's darker after sleeping First time owner help pls!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Question White's Tree Frog get's darker after sleeping First time owner help pls!!!

So, I had purchased two baby White's Tree Frogs from Reptile City (HUGE MISTAKE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM), and sadly had to put one of them down. (He had multiple broken bones, one definite with exposed bone from trauma during shipping because they weren't in a live animal box and may have had chytrid). The other one was healthy, is eating and since I literally had them for 1 day when I took them both to the vet and we had to put one down, he was still skittish and didn't sleep. We got him a little rock hut/hidey hole, boom started to sleeping happily at night. He hasn't been calling though, and I believe he moves around his terrarium at night. He did make a short call when we tried to look at his foot to get him to stop moving and made a short call that sort of sounded like "No" lol (we were holding him gently not squeezing at all don't worry). Anyway, he sleeps in his hidey hole buried into the moss that we lined it with (it's on the substrate of his terrarium), at around 6-7 o'clock at night, and lift it up and gently take him out to feed him (I feed him outside his cage because if I drop a cricket or something it doesn't eat him when he's sleeping, I'm a paranoid frog mom I know the crickets are not that big around the size of his mouth but still, and he's always very dark green and covered in moss, when normally he's a bright and vibrant green, and as I take him out and he wakes up he turns back to his normal color in around 2-5 minutes. I'm probably being paranoid, but he alright? Is this common? He eats about 2-3 gut loaded crickets (depending on the size normally medium size, we also have a bearded dragon who's crickets are mixed in with his) every day. Again, sleeps during the day, I think is active at night, and he also doesn't like his water dish, but I always place him in it after I feed him and spend time with him just to be sure my oils of my hands get rinsed off, and his water is filled about half way and is pretty shallow so only reaches the bottom of his chin and is purified water. His humidity is always around 50-60 percent with spikes when his automatic mister turns on that are around 70-80, and his temperature his always 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit, and has a heating pad under his cage because my room gets pretty cold during winter.
    Thanks for the help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog get's darker after sleeping First time owner help pls!!!

Hi there!

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot! It’s a shame you had to put the other baby down . I’m happy to hear that you’re having success with the other one though! The baby will probably be stressed for a couple of weeks after getting him so you should keep handling and checking in on him to a minimum ( easier said than done, I know ). Anyway, the brown coloration is completely normal! You’ll probably see your frog vary in coloration from brown to blueish green. Part of it is mood, part of it is temperature and humidity, part of it is their surroundings. Don’t be concerned about it ! If you’d like to have your frog be green more often I’d suggest keeping the tank on the warmer and dryer side (stay within recommended temp and humidity though) of their spectrum. Also, add some more green things that he’d like to blend in with. I find that when mine are near the bottom of their enclosure near their log they are more brown whereas in their plants they are more green. As for the sqeaking, it is a defense mechanism. Your frog is telling you to back off. You might hear it at random times during the night if your frog jumps into something or loses its balance.

Please keep us posted on your little guy! I hope he thrives for you!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: White's Tree Frog get's darker after sleeping First time owner help pls!!!

Thank you so much for the info! Yeah, I have been trying to keep my contact at a minimum with him so he'll settle into his new home and routine. I may hold him in my hand after I feed him for a bit like 5-10 min to make sure he's taking his food alright if he seemed to have a bit of struggle getting a cricket down. I thought his squeaking may have been him being upset about us touching his feet and trying to keep him in one spot as he kept trying to perch on the top of my hand haha. Again thanks so much!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey everyone. I have some bad news. We sadly had to put the second baby frog down. The first frog had had an exposed bone, where the tissue was going narcotic, and his toe was literally only hanging on by a thread of flesh. We thought that it was an unrelated injury, and the second baby was doing amazingly, (except for the color scare haha). We noticed that his toe looked bruised, but we thought it was from him landing on it wrong, because he was still eating, active ect.. Then, during a course of a few days, it went from looking bruised, to broken, then exactly like the first baby's, and the process had started on another toe. We think it was some sort of rotting disease. He stopped eating in those few days, and we decided that it's be past tp put him down, since he was in so much pain. We have ordered a pair of White's Tree frogs from Josh's Frogs, after we bleached and cleaned out their vivarium the other babies were in. Take my story as a reason not to buy from ReptileCity Inc./HaHa Reptiles, they do not care about these animals, and this isn't an isolated incident just look up "RepileCity review". Countless videos and reviews from places like the BBB and SiteJabber will pop telling their own horror stories, from animals not showing up and the owner being rude, to the animal showing up dead.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I’m so sorry to hear about the second baby . You did everything you could for it and thank you for knowing when it was time to give him/her a humane death. I wish you all the best of luck with your new frogs! Josh’s frogs is very trustworthy!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information