Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New suriname horned frog

braaandooon

Default New suriname horned frog

Well my new suriname arrived today, she seems pretty stressed out, opened up the box and it was quite warm actually, like almost 90 degrees warm, she was shipped out last night at 8pm and arrived today at 1pm, not bad for standard ground shipping,ups truck must got warm, and temps werent to bad out doors, anyways when she arrived she seemed asleep, not sure if just being trapped in a box for 18 hours had anything to do with it, but hopefully the temps arent sending her into estivation, i scooped her out of the beak moss she was sent in and she seemed quit stiff and lifeless but you could feel her breath and see those cool eyes flick in then out, i placed her into a burrow i had made for her in the eco earth, and she laid there stiff and still , i went a grabbed a worm from refrigeration and waved it in front of her face for a second and she came to life a little, opening her mouth a little bit at it and flicking those horned eyes in and out, anyways im gonna leave her be for the day and may try to take some pic tomorrow to post, this is the first time receiving a frog overnight and just wondering if this is common, ive had alot of fish ship overnight over the years with a few problems, at least forums like these are available to gain advice from others experiences

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

gtr319

Default Re: New suriname horned frog

congrads to ur new frog~ can't wait to see the pictures~

Eel Noob

Grats on the new frog.

lt might be dehydrated, try placing it in a water dish or wet paper towels.

braaandooon

not really sure if its dehydration, the beak moss she was sitting in was soaked even a little bit of standing water in the bottom, im sure the humidity in its shipping cup is well over 90 percent, if its possible for the frog to become dehydrated due to the heat alone then that would seem reasonable, not sure how much hydration is needed, but her terrarium is at 83 degrees and 86 percent humidity, shes burrowed into soaking wet eco earth at this time with her head out, but she didnt burrow herself, i made a burrow and put soaking wet eco earth over the majority of her body, if you feel the soaking her in warm water will be a better bet let me know, i dont really want to do it today as she has just been in a box for a little while and i dont want to stress her any further, but if necessary i will, advice welcomed

pacsack

I agree with you that you should leave her alone as much as possible the first few days, especially it being a cornuta. That species is notoriously skidish in captivity. If you have concerns of dehydration what you could do is get some warm watter(not too warm just not cold)and dribble it over its head and it will drink as it flows over its mouth, just be sure not to hose her down! I do it for my frogs all the time if they seem a little dried out, you can actually hear them drinking the water that runs over their mouth. (also I would not worry too much about the shipping heat I have heard cornuta's actually thrive in a bit warmer climate than ornate's and cranwelli's)

braaandooon

thanks for the advice pacsack, i dribbled a little water over her late last night and she came to life a little more, you could see her open her mouth a little like she was sipping it, i also tried this with my cranwelli and he liked it too, he probaly just figured i was bringing him food though, anyways i let my cornuta settle for the night after that and then woke up this morning and repeated the process, and she reacted the same, at this time this morning i also offered an earthworm, she made a poor hop attempt at it and also nipped at it but didnt seem very interested, she may not be very hungry at this time as she ate a dubia roach before she was shipped, the shop she was at had her for about 6 months and she has grown some in that time, still havent found out if she is captive breed or wc, was told she usually eats 1 to 2 times a week which is common for bigger pacs, as far as i know i dont have any access to dub roaches, but the bait shop here seems to be able to get anything so ill be stopping by there today to see what they can get, so until tommarrow mornings attempted feeding she'll be hanging out all herself, did manage to snap a few pics and here they are
    Attached Images Attached Images    

braaandooon

sorry about the quality of the pics, although my blackberry can do alot, its camera isnt the greatest, and nikon is giving me a bunch of **** about fixing my camera, maybe my money would've been better spent on getting my camera fixed instead of buying a frog, lol, just joking, cornutas dont come around a lot and when they do they seem to be gone quick, i found a green cornuta on kingsnake a few weeks back and called too purchase it and it was already sold within two hours of posting, anyways hope you guys enjoy the pics, i left some dormant meal worms in there in case she gets hungary, dont want to leave food in the tank that will just burrow

gtr319

hum... nice frog in deed~ what other color they have?

braaandooon

well green ones are available usually demand a little higher price, some are fully green and some are partially green, but typically they are brown to reddish brown, males tend to keep darker colors as they mature, and females typically turn a beige color like mine, not sure how acurate it is but i just recently read a zoological study on these, some zoo (not sure which one exactly, but while researching cornuta on google led me to the webpage)exhibits and breeds these frogs, and the article mentioned an obvious way of sexing this frogs other than size is by there color when they start reaching maturity

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very pretty frog. Best of luck with it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

gtr319

@ braaandooon: i will keep that in my mind, in case i want another frog~

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Gorgeous little frog.

braaandooon

thanks john, just trying to further my experience with frogs, this is my second frog, just hope this adventure turns out as well as my cranwelli experience as i have raised that frog from a small juvenile, and now hes all grown and has the personality of a puppy dog, lol, i still would love to own a smokey jungle frog one day but not sure if my old lady will alllow me to collect anymore, only reason i now own the cornuta is because i have an upcoming birthday and this was cheaper than the other gift i wanted, even though this frog was definatly my first choice, i just used the other gift as leverage, kinda shady i guess, but i had to get rid of my fish collection just too obtain my 2 gulper catfish(real cool catfish definitely recommend you guys to check em out on youtube) so i guess my woman is defiantly cool pet nazi, its not like im one of those animal hoarders on that show that airs on animal planet

braaandooon

and thanks for the compliments everyone, really appreciate it, wish i wouldve joined this forum while raising my cranwelli,sometimes learning things the hard way is the best way, wanted to be a little more cautious with the cornuta as ive heard how difficult these frogs can be, and all of your guys' advice is appreciated, maybe its time i should give my frogs names

pacsack

Quote Originally Posted by braaandooon View Post
    thanks for the advice pacsack, i dribbled a little water over her late last night and she came to life a little more, you could see her open her mouth a little like she was sipping it, i also tried this with my cranwelli and he liked it too, he probaly just figured i was bringing him food though, anyways i let my cornuta settle for the night after that and then woke up this morning and repeated the process, and she reacted the same, at this time this morning i also offered an earthworm, she made a poor hop attempt at it and also nipped at it but didnt seem very interested, she may not be very hungry at this time as she ate a dubia roach before she was shipped, the shop she was at had her for about 6 months and she has grown some in that time, still havent found out if she is captive breed or wc, was told she usually eats 1 to 2 times a week which is common for bigger pacs, as far as i know i dont have any access to dub roaches, but the bait shop here seems to be able to get anything so ill be stopping by there today to see what they can get, so until tommarrow mornings attempted feeding she'll be hanging out all herself, did manage to snap a few pics and here they are
    Just glad to help! She sure is a beauty by the way I hope to pick one up someday they really are extremely hard to find. Also a food idea for your frog would be horned worms. You can order them online for roughly 15 dollars shipped depending on amount of course, they are HUGE! Also, silk worms can be good to pack on a little more fat.

braaandooon

Quote Originally Posted by pacsack View Post
    Just glad to help! She sure is a beauty by the way I hope to pick one up someday they really are extremely hard to find. Also a food idea for your frog would be horned worms. You can order them online for roughly 15 dollars shipped depending on amount of course, they are HUGE! Also, silk worms can be good to pack on a little more fat.
    horned worms you say, sounds cool actually, do they keep as easily as most worms, local bait shop is getting me a list of everything they have access to, i guess its quite exstensive, they seem to be able to get anything i ask for, i know they stock silk worms and they also keep live feeder toads for the most part, so if worst comes to worst ill have that to fall back on, i guess i can thank the local lakes for the abundance of northern pike as live frogs and toads are a prefered bait while trolling

pacsack

Quote Originally Posted by braaandooon View Post
    horned worms you say, sounds cool actually, do they keep as easily as most worms, local bait shop is getting me a list of everything they have access to, i guess its quite exstensive, they seem to be able to get anything i ask for, i know they stock silk worms and they also keep live feeder toads for the most part, so if worst comes to worst ill have that to fall back on, i guess i can thank the local lakes for the abundance of northern pike as live frogs and toads are a prefered bait while trolling
    Horned worms are not too hard to keep just a few extra requirements and when I said huge I do mean huge, they can be the seize of small mice right before they metamorphose. I'm not sure I would feed my frog toads they can produce some pretty nasty toxins possibly leopard frogs and other semi aquatic frogs(In the wild frogs make up the majority of a horned frogs diet) of that nature if they carry CB frogs then ok, but if all they have is wild caught that would be a definite no no due to parasites, fungus, and other types of frog disease.

braaandooon

i hear that on the wild caught toads i see quite a bit around the house, have never fed any to my cranwelli as i do spray for weeds and such in my yard every spring, but i did go to the bait/feed shop this morning and they copied a list of inventory they have access too, everything they carry is captive breed from like 50 types of worms, and a few different species of frog, they keep toads at there location as they are the cheapest, i see they do carry horn worms at almost a dollar a piece, whats the shelf life on these by the way before they turn into moths, anyways picked up some silkworms as they had a ton in, and checked in on my suriname, and offered one to her, not to interested, she made a small attempt at it, and that was it, not a big deal though, good news is she seems alot more alive today, and she is now holding down shop and hopping around in her water hole, she looks alot fatter and healthier today, starting to think maybe the heat from shipping may have triggered her into the start aestivation, anyways she seems happier today and so am i so i snapped a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

pacsack

WOW, that must be some bait shop! I wish I had one like that around here. I would feed any species of toad to your frog I have seen some people do it with CB but that still doesn't make it safe. In my opinion if you have a steady and inexpensive supply of frogs that would be acceptable. The reason she may not be accepting the worms right now is because she may still need time to calm down(Mine took almost a week to start eating)or she may just not recognize a worm as a prey item. I have that exact problem with both my frogs they tend to like things that are more active worms tend to move quite slowly and don't trigger as hard of a prey response as something like crickets might. That is just my opinion though. Also, I am not really sure how long you can keep horned worms before the metamorphose in addition it would be very hard to tell what instar they would be at when you receive them. One way to tell when they are either close to death or metamorphosis is by their skin color and texture. If they turn to a darker green and begin to harden then they are a few days from going into metamorphosis. If they are just dark green and still keep their soft texture I would just watch that worm for a day and make sure it either dies or develops the tell tale thicker skin. I always avoid feeding my frogs dieing food items, its just a pet peeve of mine I'm not really sure if there is even any merit to that precaution its just one I take.

John911

Very cool frog. Gonna have to add that to my want list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information