Thread: Boston fern + unkown moss

Default Boston fern + unkown moss

Hi,

I want to add a few live plants to my Northern leopard frog's terrarium. I have a Boston fern. It looks a bit fragile, but I was wondering if it would be safe for the frog. Does anyone know?

I also have some unknown moss that started growing "out of nowhere" a while back when I switched the lighting. I'd like to try to keep it going and I was wondering if there are moss types that could be harmful. If so, might someone be able to identify the species if I post a picture?

Finally, I've bought a golden pothos, which I think is the pothos variety I've been using in other terrariums for years (not sure though), but I recently got a hint that they could potentially be toxic. Is this only when eaten, and so, safe for a frog that won't eat any of it?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Boston fern + unkown moss

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Leopard View Post
    Hi,

I want to add a few live plants to my Northern leopard frog's terrarium. I have a Boston fern. It looks a bit fragile, but I was wondering if it would be safe for the frog. Does anyone know?

I also have some unknown moss that started growing "out of nowhere" a while back when I switched the lighting. I'd like to try to keep it going and I was wondering if there are moss types that could be harmful. If so, might someone be able to identify the species if I post a picture?

Finally, I've bought a golden pothos, which I think is the pothos variety I've been using in other terrariums for years (not sure though), but I recently got a hint that they could potentially be toxic. Is this only when eaten, and so, safe for a frog that won't eat any of it?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes Pothos is safe for frogs. Frogs don't eat plants and sometimes they rip leaves hunting but they generally spit them out. I have had Whites Tree Frogs with Pothos for 5 years no problem.

The Boston Fern can get very big. You might need to try some smaller Fern species. Korean Rock Fern is smaller and a better candidate. I wouldn't use moss unless it's from a pet store because I've had nematode problems with more native things. I generally get my plants from a plant nursery I used to work for but I had collected moss and such which the nematodes hide in.

The Leopard Frog will do great in your setup!

How big is the tank?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I can get rock fern, so I'll probably try the Boston fern and trim it back when needed, unless someone says it's dangerous for the frog.

How did you know your moss carried nematodes? Mine just sprang from the soil I bought, after a while, so it was probably there only as dormant spores. I doubt nematodes could have been in the spores, but since I don't know anything about nematodes, I'm not sure I can take this for granted. They seem to be microscopic..... Did the nematodes cause problems for your frogs?

Forgot to answer your question. It's a 20 gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Leopard View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I can get rock fern, so I'll probably try the Boston fern and trim it back when needed, unless someone says it's dangerous for the frog.

How did you know your moss carried nematodes? Mine just sprang from the soil I bought, after a while, so it was probably there only as dormant spores. I doubt nematodes could have been in the spores, but since I don't know anything about nematodes, I'm not sure I can take this for granted. They seem to be microscopic..... Did the nematodes cause problems for your frogs?
    Nematodes can be actually in many soils, moss and wood. The frogs can carry them inside them like dogs also.

Yes the nematodes actually almost killed my toad and tree frog. I have to get all the toads and tree frogs dewormed now because they all probably have them.

Your Fern may not have them but just get the frog checked out if you can time from time. They are a hook worm.

The problem with the Boston Fern is how wide it gets. You might have to separate it like splitting it into two pieces a lot because it's a fast grower.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Nematodes can be actually in many soils, moss and wood. The frogs can carry them inside them like dogs also.

Yes the nematodes actually almost killed my toad and tree frog. I have to get all the toads and tree frogs dewormed now because they all probably have them.

Your Fern may not have them but just get the frog checked out if you can time from time. They are a hook worm.

The problem with the Boston Fern is how wide it gets. You might have to separate it like splitting it into two pieces a lot because it's a fast grower.

Excellent advice, my friend. Indeed a Boston fern will get monstrous. Regular trimming can keep it in check as well as snipping any runners that the plant will send out. A lemon fern or maybe a maidenhair fern would be better candidates for a 20. A dragon’s tail fern would be even better since they are one of the few small ferns. Lemon and maidenhair ferns are normally available at the big home improvement places. Black jungle used to carry dragon’s tail ferns, although I haven’t been on their site in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia