Thread: Toads breeding?

Default Toads breeding?

Hello. I have 3 american toads. I do not yet know their genders. They are not being hibernated, I just have them warm in my house. Today one smaler toad was on the females back in the mating position. I have never hibernated them. Are they breeding? If not, what are they doing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Toads breeding?

He is still in that position. Should I try to take him off the female? is she even gravid? Should I just separate? Should I set up a breeding enclosure? Any advise would help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What temperature do you have them at and what's the setup?

The female most likely isn't able to reproduce they need a hibernation or strong dormant period. You should be okay but yes pull off the one male.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    What temperature do you have them at and what's the setup?

The female most likely isn't able to reproduce they need a hibernation or strong dormant period. You should be okay but yes pull off the one male.

Thanks. The temp of my house is about 73f but they are near a slightly drafty door so maybe about 70? The setup is a bin that is a about the size of a 10 gallon tank(I am on the lookout for a 20g long or 40g breeder) They are on eco earth as bedding (about 2-3 inches of it for burrowing). . Theylso have an aquarium plant that they love to burrow under. I would guess the water dish to be about 5" by 6", and I fill it up so that it goes to about the paratid glands when they are sitting in it. There is also 2 rocks for them to climb out with. I figures out that I have 1 male toad and 2 females. He originally took the slightly larger female. I took him off, and he just went and grabbed the other female toad. now if I touch the male while he is on top of the female, he tries to fight me off and chirps. I cannot het him to eat insects right no either, even tough he usually has a very healthy appetite. I have had these toads since about june or july this year. One thing to note is that I used to keep them on the floor, but recently (a week) I moved the bin about a foot over onto a stand. The temp is only about a degree warmer. although I did move the cage next to a window, where as they did not get direct sunlight before. I am wondering if I should let the 2 females live together in one tank and move my male, Patrick to his own tank. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long response.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they have a coconut hut, a mug on its side, and a terocotta pot on its side for somewhere to hide.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toad squad View Post
    Thanks. The temp of my house is about 73f but they are near a slightly drafty door so maybe about 70? The setup is a bin that is a about the size of a 10 gallon tank(I am on the lookout for a 20g long or 40g breeder) They are on eco earth as bedding (about 2-3 inches of it for burrowing). . Theylso have an aquarium plant that they love to burrow under. I would guess the water dish to be about 5" by 6", and I fill it up so that it goes to about the paratid glands when they are sitting in it. There is also 2 rocks for them to climb out with. I figures out that I have 1 male toad and 2 females. He originally took the slightly larger female. I took him off, and he just went and grabbed the other female toad. now if I touch the male while he is on top of the female, he tries to fight me off and chirps. I cannot het him to eat insects right no either, even tough he usually has a very healthy appetite. I have had these toads since about june or july this year. One thing to note is that I used to keep them on the floor, but recently (a week) I moved the bin about a foot over onto a stand. The temp is only about a degree warmer. although I did move the cage next to a window, where as they did not get direct sunlight before. I am wondering if I should let the 2 females live together in one tank and move my male, Patrick to his own tank. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long response.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they have a coconut hut, a mug on its side, and a terocotta pot on its side for somewhere to hide.
    The male is just really in heat. He want to mate but the females would need to hibernate to breed. He's just harassing them. He should calm down in a week or so. They all could be left together but I would watch to see if one toad starts to dominate. That can happen with two of the same sex. If you get a very dominant toad it would be best for it to live alone or not in a group because it will eat all the food and can stress the others out. Toads are usually peaceful but there are some that have a more aggressive side which they will eat all the insects to starve the other or others. It should be okay you just have to watch for the signs.

One toad will become the leader but if the other toads get a tremendously less amount then that's a problem. It could be the male or one of the females. Some toads can be fine in groups and some can't.

Some people tell you they are fine but these aren't just mindless animals. They have intelligence of their own. They do set up hierarchies and they compete. Some toads cohabitate together and some don't. Make sure to write back if you have any questions!

Thread Information