Thread: Red leg disease

Default Red leg disease

Has anyone had trouble with red leg disease? I like to read about frog health, and would like to hear of what owners do for their frogs, besides taking them to a vet. Are there any natural remedies that have been used? What about fish medications? Has anyone’s frogs ever recover from this disease?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red leg disease

“Red leg” is not one specific disease in and off itself. Rather, it is a symptom of any number of different infections. Usually this results from poor husbandry leading to a systemic infection. Sometimes there are other underlying health issues and opportunistic infection sets in. It is always practical to seek veterinary guidance and obtain a proper diagnosis as treatment may vary. However, once the symptom is noticed the prognosis is generally poor. Proper husbandry and quarantine protocols are the best methods for lessening the risk on infections both primary and secondary. As far as “natural remedies” honey does have antimicrobial properties but this is not going to treat a systemic infection. Medications designed for fish are sometimes used but the dosage is designed to be diluted in parts per gallon. It is therefore impractical and potentially dangerous. The drugs are sometimes the same but must be administered in the correct dosage.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

My white's tree frog had red leg and sadly died of it. It can be caused by the bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila, which in my case the symptoms matched up. The bacteria eats through capillaries and small blood vessels that drain slowly to the bottom of the frog. Hard to notice when frogs legs are red but once the infection is serious the belly turns from white/yellow to red. In my situation i was to late to treat him but did anyways just to try. I mixed tetracycline into his water and let him soak in it for like 30 minutes a day. Aeromonas probably exists in every terrarium so it is best prevented by keeping your terrarium clean and frog's immune system well. you cant really get rid of it but cleanliness will prevent your frog from getting it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hoping you all can help. Is this red leg disease? I just purchased 4 RETFs from a reputable breeder and one died within 24 hours of arrival. Now I'm concerned about the others catching this. Name:  Frog.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  427.4 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could be stress related, or shipping related. its not ‘red leg’, atypical location, and the way it looks. You should contact the breeder, if it is reputable as you say, she/he should refund at least and might have better idea, since she/he saw a frog and packed it. Normally they die so soon after shipping because of preexsisting conditions, improper packing, stress normally a factor too, but it is alone shouldnt be high enough to kill the frog. My question is... shipping in that kind of weather... and in general in winter. Myself i do not ship animals in winter at all, too risky.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information