Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
Oh, and as far as fish, if you want a true SA/CA species that is small and interesting looking, loom no further than Endler’s Live bearers. While almost extinct in nature, they are becoming even more abundant in the aquarium hobby and some new breeds have been introduced the past few years. They are an excellent alternative to common guppies (which they get confused with) and are infinitely more interesting to watch. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
Thank you for your awesome response! You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate this. It really helps me think things through and maybe come up with solutions that never crossed my mind.

1. Yes and light no comment! HAHA...meaning, I have something planned, but I do not want to reveal yet. I actually had this planned in 1998, as I looked around on YouTube, there are a couple of guys who have had the same idea that I have had. I do not want to be considered a hack or copier. That is something I would never want to be called and someone eluded to it in a message on my other social media pages, but backed off when they realized I had been doing this before most in the late 90's, thank you Reptile Magazine! believe me, I know this sounds childish, but wow, we live in some weird times. Everyone is an expert.

However, you are very kind so I will say, yes, I will be using fans. Yes, I do know there are levels to this and that was one of the first hurdles I came across. In fact, Ted Judy, from Custom Aquariums and I had discussions, about a certain issue, having to do with the height. So we have made decisions based on this factor. I am using "fans" actually in different "levels". In other words, ventilation for all species, heating and cooling, if and when needed.

I do know they have different needs and I have designed the enclosure and what is going inside, from tech to flora/fauna (what I don't know, I have sought consultants, which I have).
Thank you for bringing up this important subject. Actually, in my grow tent, where my bromeliads are doing well in, has ventilation and heating, when needed.

Let me add, I know people have said that they have had issues with high humidity and orchids. In our grow tent, I have had one new orchid, which arrived in June 2018, on its second bloom as we speak, and another that I have had for 3 years or so, on it's 4th bloom, I believe. They are in 65% to 99% humidity and direct LED lighting (nothing special, 3600 Lumens, not sure of the other stats, I would have to get with my friend, Josh Turner, on that). I am hoping to have them in The Rainforest Exhibit. I will put them on temporary mounts, so if there are any issues, I can quickly remove them without disturbing everything else.

2. Very good point, again, thank you for this! I have had comments and messages discuss how big this thing is and that I "could have everything I want in there". But my stance from the beginning is, I want people to search for things, I do not want overcrowding, in fact, I just won't do it.

As I have said, I want about 5 to 7 Golden Poison Frogs, 2 to 3 tree frogs (Red-Eyed Tree Frogs are my first choice, but I am open to other species. I would like some Mourning Geckos, for two reasons. One, they are compatible with the other animals I am considering, and they are an invasive species. This is a subject that I think is an important one to bring up, especially with the situation as it is in Florida with the Burmese Pythons. Also, the invasive Lionfish, and other animals that have been introduced due to natural disasters or negligence.

Again, as with the land animals in The Rainforest Exhibit, I will not have a lot of fish. I have a friend whose name is Ricky. We grew up together in NYC. When we were kids we used to go to every zoo, museum, pet store, wholesale store, even black market pet trade stores. This was OVER 4 decades ago! We both had/have an extreme interest and love for animals! Well, long story short (yeah right), his son is into animals and is a big fan of this project, which I think is unbelievably awesome!!! Talk about full circle! So he has given me a lot of ideas and his opinion. He just completed his own vivarium! Very cool! He suggested the Ember Tetra, which is native to Brazil.
Guess what?! Like the Golden Poison Frog, the Ember Tetra is NOW, a must have! haha!

That being said, I do not want a massive school of these fish, not many at all, probably start with 6. Not sure what else I would get. I have had some snails before, but they overan everything, so that is a no go.
Anyway, you get the idea, I have a total overkill for filtration(in fact, it is close to be ridiculous, but hey, I have all the equipment, so I will start off using it, and go from there. I will vlog about all of this soon, it is coming up quickly), and I want a small population of fauna, in and out of the water. With that in mind, I am open to any ideas and opinions, 100%.

I hope I answered your questions? There is no voice inflection in the written word, my answers are said with a smile, so I hope that comes across.
I texted my wife the other day and she said "why are you yelling?!" I did one of those cartoon double takes!!!! Anyway, so now I try to disclaim things.

Thank you!!!
The legend of Bill returns!

Bill has been a very strong contributor to many innovative ideas on the forum. I had one of the craziest ideas first starting out with creating an all Native species enclosure and a lot of people shunned me on the forum starting out, but Bill decided to take me under his wing and talk some sense into me if I was going to do it and I can say he was one of the key factors in driving my passion to get to where it is today. the light that he picked out four years ago still works and is on one of my setups.

even though you did this in the 90s I still believed to be one of the first if not the first successful hobbyist to keep native species together using perennials and Native stuff. I say that because I don't want to sound like a copier of having a mixed-species setup but also to give you confidence that it is possible and people will support you with constructive criticism and also kind words. I support your project and I'm very excited to see how the project goes.

I think you should definitely consider the Bumblebee millipede because those things are awesome.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk