Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

Default The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of building a massive Vivarium! Dimensions 5 feet by 5 feet by 4 feet.
    We have partnered with Custom Aquariums, Tropica, Bromeliads.com, Mistking, Valiant Comics, VivariumWorks, DUNAUSA, Rainforest Trust, Etsy Driftwood Store LifeIsBeautifullUniq, and others, to make this amazing enclosure.
    Sneaker Artist, MAG, from Punk Your Chucks used to build zoo exhibits and retrofit acrylic reef tanks (back in the 1990's) and turn them into rainforest vivaria, back when it was mainly big in Europe.
    Because I am a sneaker artist and have painted Converse, Nikes, Vans for everyone from Samuel L. Jackson, Kelly Clarkson, Will Smith, to members of Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, and a ton more, we are hoping to get some to appear in our vlog!

Our latest Vlog where I interview Ted Judy from Custom Aquariums and YouTube Channel, Ted's Fishroom:
    https://youtu.be/xZCmGbVpvTE

We are filming the entire build, and we hope you will Subscribe to our YouTube Channel and hit the Bell icon to stay up to date with the latest videos (from 2 to 4 vids every month).
    Feel free to message me with questions or just to introduce yourself...I would love to make new friends on here!

MAG
    Artist
    www.therainforestexhibit.com
    www.punkyourchucks.com

Name:  TREunboxedinofficemontage1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  166.6 KB
    Name:  TRE montage TedJudy.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  104.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

We just posted a NEW VLOG on our YouTube Channel, The Rainforest Exhibit!

Not being a HUGE fan of Great Stuff expanding foam, I really didn't want to use it in this build, except to close a hole or to secure pieces, tubing, etc., so I started looking in other directions (sort of).
    When we built zoo exhibit mud walls, rock, streams, creek beds, we used shotcrete(Gunite) and then we just made planters, to hold soil, plants. Sometimes we made logs and trees using epoxies (I will use some in this build, but that will come later), and then made, again, planters. Next time you go to the zoo, you will start to notice this, now that I brought it into your head.

SO, long story, longer, I didn't want to use concrete, although I "MAY" use a bit (maybe a small slurry mix) in small areas, if needed, but for the base/foundation, and avoiding metal, this high density sturdy foam, was my main focus.

I talked to DUNAUSA Brad B., I don't think he would mind using his name, but I will ask before I do, and a couple conversations later, they were planning on sending me some.

So, this VLOG is me opening the sample pieces he sent me. I will post more vlogs down the road, AND I have received all of the High Density Foam...oh boy, that is an adventure in itself.
    So this is the unboxing video.

When I start to use it heavy, I may put some pieces in a box and pick a winner to send some to...you can all let me know if you like that idea?

I hope you all go to the vlog and Subscribe and hit the Bell Icon to know when we post new vids...I can use all the help I can get!!!

I may post a pic of the slabs that arrived, they are on The Rainforest Exhibit's FB page

Here is the YouTube Vlog #4 link!

https://youtu.be/px2lKDC0Qzo

Here are some pics of the slabs and of the False Bottom I made with DUNAUSA Product U200.

Name:  DUNAHDF1.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  157.1 KBName:  DUNAHDFmontage1.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  159.5 KBName:  DUNAUSAfalsebottom1.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  107.2 KB

Carving, scraping, wire brushing, etc., working on the high density foam insert (one of them) for The Rainforest Exhibit!

Slowly getting there.

Here you can see the high density foam slowing turning into an eroded mud and rock wall.
    The colors will be dark brown, dark gray, black, burnt umber, etc.
    Black sand, gravel, and tree roots will stick out of these areas. In between that will be moss, ferns, marcgravia, and other tropical plants.

I will leave that there for now!

I am actually seeing through the piles of thoughts, plans, sketches, drawings (more trashed then implemented), and can now see tangible results. Still a LONG WAY TO GO!!! Little by little.
    THANK YOU, DUNAUSA!!! @

Also, thank you, to Scott Allen at
    Vivarium Works for the faux rocks!!! Thank you to Amy Chambers at
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/LifeIsBeautifullUniq
    for the driftwood...I needed it!

Please check out our Vlog and Subscribe:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtn...HuClgb5HVUaAAQ

Also, check out our website:
    www.therainforestexhibit.com

Name:  tre foamcarving1.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  191.9 KBName:  trefoamcarving2.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  138.9 KBName:  tre foamcarving3.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  98.0 KB

6. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

We just posted Vlog #6 Bromeliad.com Unboxing, on The Rainforest Exhibit Vlog YouTube Channel!
    If you like bromeliads, this is a cool video to see. About 34 bromeliads were given to us by www.bromeliad.com and their awesome owner, Alex A.
    Go check it out:
    https://youtu.be/S0CsCvHo9HA

Name:  TRE Bromeliads - Dec 2018 003.jpg
Views: 3784
Size:  157.0 KB

8. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

Started working on the plumbing for the inside of The Rainforest Exhibit.
    It was a bit hard, since the sump inlet plumbing had to be created from 2 bulkheads inside the exhibit but I worked it out. Also made a 'L" shaped drain tube for under the false bottom. Originally I was going to wrap it it a foam pad, but decided this raised it too far off the floor and removed it.

I saw this article on how to make PVC look like wood. I made the waterfall inlet PVC Tube look like wood. No one is really going to see it since it is in the back, but if they do look, it will be interesting to see their reactions.

Finishing the draining top/sides around the false bottom using clay balls, drain tiles, and weed cloth. Once this is 100% finished and tested, I will begin the outside/under tank plumbing, plumbing the Seamless Sump Filter (from Custom Aquariums), Mistking Advanced Misting System, ultrasonic humidifier for fog, UV Sterilizer, etc.

Here are some pics of the plumbing for the inside of The Rainforest Exhibit, the sump filter, false bottom drainage tube, and the waterfall inlet PVC tube.

I hope you all can subscribe to out YouTube Vlog Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtn..._as=subscriber

Also check out our website and blog:
    http://www.therainforestexhibit.com

Name:  tredrainpipeassy.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  167.5 KBName:  tredrainpipeassyfinished1.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  185.3 KBName:  tresumpplumbinginside1.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  106.7 KBName:  TREsumpplumbing1.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  186.7 KBName:  trewoodpipemontage1.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  200.8 KBName:  trewoodpipeglue1.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  73.5 KBName:  TREwoodpipe1.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  64.8 KBName:  trewoodpipe3.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  63.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

WOW...it has been quite a couple of weeks over here! Besides getting a bit farther on the interior plumbing, we received our quarantine tanks from Custom Aquariums. Two 30 Gallon tanks(17.5” High x 21.5” Length x 17 5/8” Wide) and one 75 Gallon (30" High x 24" Wide x 24" Length).

These were slightly used or "Dented/Scratch" models, but that didn't matter to me. They just needed a couple of things like, lids, being cleaned, tweaking here and there. The one issue, was Holy Mother of Hubbard, these things are HEAVY! The 30 Gallon tanks made the old All-Glass Aquariums look like a child's toy! I debated even putting them on my trusty old template glass desk from Sharper Image (bought the desk a LOOOOOONG time ago), but this desk has been through 5 to 6 moves all over the USA, down South, up North, the Arctic chills of the North, and the humid heat of the South, and both in NYC, and hurricanes, an earthquake (minor one, but it sure adds flavor to this post), well, you get the point.

So, they are on the desk and I think it will be fine. Since they are my quarantine tanks, I won't be stuffing them with aesthetically pleasing vivarium stuff, so it won't add too much weight.

The 75 Gallon. HELLO!?!? What the what the what!?!?!?!
    Another behemoth! It has to weigh 200+ pounds, I don't know, just shockingly heavy! The glass is 1/2" thick, so it figures it would be heavy.

For this one, I used parts of the beautiful crate the came in and built a stand for it. 25" wide x 25" long x 36" tall. I wanted it to be to my height, hence, the 36" tall stand. I had some red spray paint and I went at it. I may put panels over the frame, so the color really doesn't matter, besides I have a gloss orange wall to the left of it, so, well...I'll just leave that there.

I normally would build the stand beefier, but since there is no water involved, I am sure it will be fine.

So, let me know your thoughts? I love advice and I have already received some awesome advice on Instagram, that really helped me out!

I want to say something here, and I hope it comes across the way I mean it...when I built vivariums in the late 90's, there was NOTHING like this, no forums, social media, no back and forth with other hobbyists. This is such an awesome thing going on, with so much information and people having all levels of experience! If you need information, assistance, help, etc., it is pretty darn set in stone that someone will have an answer or can sway you in the right direction. I really do hope that it isn't taken for granted.

I should have some more updates within the week or so!

Name:  treQuarantine75stand2.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  134.5 KBName:  treQuarantine75stand5withlevel.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  122.5 KBName:  treQuarantine75stand3paintedred.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  95.3 KBName:  treQuarantine75stand1.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  197.0 KBName:  treQuarantine751.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  124.5 KBName:  treQuarantine30twinlighted.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  99.6 KBName:  treQuarantine30twinmontage.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  131.8 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to see your progress! I love seeing new and innovative projects. Your Rain Forest is going to be really incredible. I'm not sure if you were going to get the Mourning Geckos but there are two species at a store Josh's Frogs. They seem to raise some great frogs and toads. They have a good name with the forums. I work with them too. The frogs you are going to purchase they sell also. If you are looking to get frogs from other places to decrease the chance of any being related they would be a good place to get some. The tank looks good setup. Are you going to get the RETF?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

12. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I'm glad to see your progress! I love seeing new and innovative projects. Your Rain Forest is going to be really incredible. I'm not sure if you were going to get the Mourning Geckos but there are two species at a store Josh's Frogs. They seem to raise some great frogs and toads. They have a good name with the forums. I work with them too. The frogs you are going to purchase they sell also. If you are looking to get frogs from other places to decrease the chance of any being related they would be a good place to get some. The tank looks good setup. Are you going to get the RETF?

Thank you, larry, for the nice comment and the referral! I have heard of Josh's Frogs. I have actually been in touch with Frog Daddy (Instagram). If you get a chance, go check out what he has and hi setup....it is pristine, to say the least!
    Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/frogdaddy_/

I do not think he has Mourning Geckos, since I have only discussed Phyllobates Terribilis, but I will be discussing this with him and others shortly.
    As soon as I get my quarantine tanks up and running, I will be discussing seriously, Mourning Geckos, Red-Eyed Tree Frogs, and other animals. As I said before, less is more, to me anyways, as big as the enclosure is, I do not want to overcrowd it.
    I like the idea of searching for the occupants. Your thoughts?

14. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Thank you, larry, for the nice comment and the referral! I have heard of Josh's Frogs. I have actually been in touch with Frog Daddy (Instagram). If you get a chance, go check out what he has and hi setup....it is pristine, to say the least!
    Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/frogdaddy_/

I do not think he has Mourning Geckos, since I have only discussed Phyllobates Terribilis, but I will be discussing this with him and others shortly.
    As soon as I get my quarantine tanks up and running, I will be discussing seriously, Mourning Geckos, Red-Eyed Tree Frogs, and other animals. As I said before, less is more, to me anyways, as big as the enclosure is, I do not want to overcrowd it.
    I like the idea of searching for the occupants. Your thoughts?
    I love what you said. Yes less animals = more natural setups. I feel the same way. I have a 125 gallon and feel around 4-6 animals is plenty. So for your large enclosure yes I believe that's a very smart move.

I believe that instead of searching for animals I think right now that you should look at animals that you can see in your envisioned Rain Forest. So think of a Max number of species and a Max number per species. Then decide what animals are locked in and the species you are committed to like the dart frogs. Then if you have a list of animals you would be interested in having but it's not as big of a deal then you could have voting from your followers on what animals they want to see. This way the animals you really want to have are in and an animal or animals the followers want to see will be there also. It's a win for everybody!

I can't wait to share with you my two big projects for 2019-2020. For native species amphibians. I hope it will interest you because there are some things I have planned nobody has done on YouTube yet. No spoilers yet I don't even have a thread on here talking about it yet lol

I love what you said. Yes less animals = more natural setups. I feel the same way. I have a 125 gallon and feel around 4-6 animals is plenty. So for your large enclosure yes I believe that's a very smart move.

I believe that instead of searching for animals I think right now that you should look at animals that you can see in your envisioned Rain Forest. So think of a Max number of species and a Max number per species. Then decide what animals are locked in and the species you are committed to like the dart frogs. Then if you have a list of animals you would be interested in having but it's not as big of a deal then you could have voting from your followers on what animals they want to see. This way the animals you really want to have are in and an animal or animals the followers want to see will be there also. It's a win for everybody!

I can't wait to share with you my two big projects for 2019-2020. For native species amphibians. I hope it will interest you because there are some things I have planned nobody has done on YouTube yet. No spoilers yet I don't even have a thread on here talking about it yet lol

Great ideas! Thank you!

I will post my thoughts on what I want, like you said, and then I would love feedback!

Here is my preliminary list. Note: there are three "rules" (couldn't think what else to call it), one is the Golden Poison Frog is the main Poison Frog in this enclosure, that cannot change.
    Second, all animals must be originally from Central and/or South America (not wild caught but native). This is a New World enclosure, exception being on the Mourning Geckos who are an invasive species, but have not been
    destructive, but have thrived(like the Burmese Python in Florida).
    Third, except for fish, all animals must be captive bred. I would prefer captive bred, but I understand the situation on many of these.

1. Phyllobates Terribilis - Golden Poison Frog
    This is the main frog that I have designed this exhibit (terrestrial flat land)....more details later. The quantity that I am considering is 5 to 7.

2. Agalychnis Callidryas - Red-Eyed Tree Frogs
    I really love this tree frog and it is definitely one I would like for the enclosure. That being said, I would consider other species.

3. Lepidodactylus Lugubris - Mourning Gecko
    After seeing these, I think they would be interesting to keep in the enclosure (plus I plan to have some school classes involved online, and this would make for interesting discussions, the introduction of animals not native to a region/invasive species). another reason for having these is, I wanted to see if housing a reptile in this enclosure was feasible.

4. There are some other animals I am interested in, but nothing set in stone. I really like Ember Tetras after my friend's son introduced me to the species. The water area will be around 55 to 60 gallons total (60" long x 8" to 9"deep x 18" wide but fluctuates) but there will be a lot of vegetation and rocks, so I want only very small fish. Newts or salamanders are interesting, as long as they meet fit the "rules". Obviously there will be Springtails and Isopods, but I would love to have a large peaceful insect in the enclosure, but this is not a priority.

I think that just about does it. Feel free to post your advice or comments!

17. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Great ideas! Thank you!

I will post my thoughts on what I want, like you said, and then I would love feedback!

Here is my preliminary list. Note: there are three "rules" (couldn't think what else to call it), one is the Golden Poison Frog is the main Poison Frog in this enclosure, that cannot change.
    Second, all animals must be originally from Central and/or South America (not wild caught but native). This is a New World enclosure, exception being on the Mourning Geckos who are an invasive species, but have not been
    destructive, but have thrived(like the Burmese Python in Florida).
    Third, except for fish, all animals must be captive bred. I would prefer captive bred, but I understand the situation on many of these.

1. Phyllobates Terribilis - Golden Poison Frog
    This is the main frog that I have designed this exhibit (terrestrial flat land)....more details later. The quantity that I am considering is 5 to 7.

2. Agalychnis Callidryas - Red-Eyed Tree Frogs
    I really love this tree frog and it is definitely one I would like for the enclosure. That being said, I would consider other species.

3. Lepidodactylus Lugubris - Mourning Gecko
    After seeing these, I think they would be interesting to keep in the enclosure (plus I plan to have some school classes involved online, and this would make for interesting discussions, the introduction of animals not native to a region/invasive species). another reason for having these is, I wanted to see if housing a reptile in this enclosure was feasible.

4. There are some other animals I am interested in, but nothing set in stone. I really like Ember Tetras after my friend's son introduced me to the species. The water area will be around 55 to 60 gallons total (60" long x 8" to 9"deep x 18" wide but fluctuates) but there will be a lot of vegetation and rocks, so I want only very small fish. Newts or salamanders are interesting, as long as they meet fit the "rules". Obviously there will be Springtails and Isopods, but I would love to have a large peaceful insect in the enclosure, but this is not a priority.

I think that just about does it. Feel free to post your advice or comments!
    I think the three animals would do very well. I think it would be a bad idea to add newts or salamanders because they will potentially pollute the water because salamanders are very toxic as a whole.

The fish would be interesting. Would the frogs breed in the water? If they will then you might want to see if fish being in the water will be a problem.

I love your explanation of the Mourning Gecko. That's a really cool way to look at it. There are Hawaiian Mourning Geckos and regular Mourning Geckos so idk if that would be interesting to you to have a subspecies or not. My vote is for the 3 animals you want and for some large inverts. Specifically to help your clean up crew. Large Millipedes, Large Snails and Isopods are peaceful and really fun. The snails have a curious personality and my snails always hangout with my Squirrel Tree Frog. They might hangout with your other animals which could be fun to document for you.

If you go with maybe 3-4 species of animal and a couple inverts that would help the various species take whatever territory they want in the tank.

Just my opinion lol

I think the three animals would do very well. I think it would be a bad idea to add newts or salamanders because they will potentially pollute the water because salamanders are very toxic as a whole.

The fish would be interesting. Would the frogs breed in the water? If they will then you might want to see if fish being in the water will be a problem.

I love your explanation of the Mourning Gecko. That's a really cool way to look at it. There are Hawaiian Mourning Geckos and regular Mourning Geckos so idk if that would be interesting to you to have a subspecies or not. My vote is for the 3 animals you want and for some large inverts. Specifically to help your clean up crew. Large Millipedes, Large Snails and Isopods are peaceful and really fun. The snails have a curious personality and my snails always hangout with my Squirrel Tree Frog. They might hangout with your other animals which could be fun to document for you.

If you go with maybe 3-4 species of animal and a couple inverts that would help the various species take whatever territory they want in the tank.

Just my opinion lol

I am not sure if they will breed in the water. I will say that breeding them is not a focus for me. BUT, I will play it by ear as time progresses.

I am not too worried about the water, my sump filtration, UV sterilizer, two pumps, most likely a refugium, is overkill. My system could handle pretty much anything.

Well, any inverts or anything outside my list will have to be compatible, plus not destroy my bromeliads. So a lot of thought will have to go into the choices.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I actually found out that the Bumblebee Millipede is native to South America so that might help you since it's native to the same ecosystem. I actually purchased them because they invaded Florida and I have a Southeastern setup I'm using them in.

I actually found out that the Bumblebee Millipede is native to South America so that might help you since it's native to the same ecosystem. I actually purchased them because they invaded Florida and I have a Southeastern setup I'm using them in.

COOL! Not that they invaded Florida, but that you know about them!
    Let me know what you think about them.

I would love to have some stick insects, but I have no idea how they will react to bromeliads, as in, LUNCH! That cannot happen.
    Any info on these or other inverts that may work, would be helpful.

Nothing that would predate upon frogs, mourning geckos, fish, snails, froglets, etc.

Thank you in advance!

There is so much to do and I am doing my best to orchestrate my time to keep up with everything...it is difficult, I hope everyone is cool with that? I am trying.

I started working on the false bottom for the new 75 gallon tank and then I thought about making a rocky monolith towards the front ot The Rainforest Exhibit OR in the middle of the 75 gallon Vivarium, which will be a quarantine Tank for tree frogs or just to propagate plants. Not sure yet.

Anyway, here are some pics of what I've done so far. I will still carve the monolith a bit more...needs more cracks, crevices, etc.

Note: I will put a plastic tile OVER the high density foam false bottom, to allow for easy water drainage. I have so much of this foam, I am using it for everything! It is structurally strong, easily manipulated, just all around useful!
    Name:  trequarantinetankfalsebottom2.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  92.1 KBName:  TREmonolith1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  208.5 KB

23. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

Default The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

Definitely a very cool build. A couple notes, although I may have missed points since I read through the thread rather quickly.

A) Terribilis and RETF have quite different requirements since one habitates the forest floor where humidity is high and air thick and heavy, and retf live in the canopies where there is more air circulation and less humidity. How are you planning on combating that? I assume you’ll be adding fans at the top of the enclosure?

B) as far as your aquatic area, you state 55-60 gallons, but what is the usable area for the fish. Since most folk determine their stocking limits by gallons, in paludariums, we don’t have that luxury. We lose usable volume in the form of backgrounds and such. Obviously planting heavily and the use of a sump as you are using helps, but they still need that all too precious room.

The thing that I really like about the build is your mention of using commercial expanding foams and epoxies. I was getting into using them prior to leaving the hobby, so I find it exciting to see someone actually using them. I’ll definitely be following along to see how you use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

25. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Oh, and as far as fish, if you want a true SA/CA species that is small and interesting looking, loom no further than Endler’s Live bearers. While almost extinct in nature, they are becoming even more abundant in the aquarium hobby and some new breeds have been introduced the past few years. They are an excellent alternative to common guppies (which they get confused with) and are infinitely more interesting to watch. Just my $.02

1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

27. 2 members thank deranged chipmunk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Definitely a very cool build. A couple notes, although I may have missed points since I read through the thread rather quickly.

A) Terribilis and RETF have quite different requirements since one habitates the forest floor where humidity is high and air thick and heavy, and retf live in the canopies where there is more air circulation and less humidity. How are you planning on combating that? I assume youÂ’ll be adding fans at the top of the enclosure?

B) as far as your aquatic area, you state 55-60 gallons, but what is the usable area for the fish. Since most folk determine their stocking limits by gallons, in paludariums, we donÂ’t have that luxury. We lose usable volume in the form of backgrounds and such. Obviously planting heavily and the use of a sump as you are using helps, but they still need that all too precious room.

The thing that I really like about the build is your mention of using commercial expanding foams and epoxies. I was getting into using them prior to leaving the hobby, so I find it exciting to see someone actually using them. IÂ’ll definitely be following along to see how you use them

Thank you for your awesome response! You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate this. It really helps me think things through and maybe come up with solutions that never crossed my mind.

1. Yes and light no comment! HAHA...meaning, I have something planned, but I do not want to reveal yet. I actually had this planned in 1998, as I looked around on YouTube, there are a couple of guys who have had the same idea that I have had. I do not want to be considered a hack or copier. That is something I would never want to be called and someone eluded to it in a message on my other social media pages, but backed off when they realized I had been doing this before most in the late 90's, thank you Reptile Magazine! believe me, I know this sounds childish, but wow, we live in some weird times. Everyone is an expert.

However, you are very kind so I will say, yes, I will be using fans. Yes, I do know there are levels to this and that was one of the first hurdles I came across. In fact, Ted Judy, from Custom Aquariums and I had discussions, about a certain issue, having to do with the height. So we have made decisions based on this factor. I am using "fans" actually in different "levels". In other words, ventilation for all species, heating and cooling, if and when needed.

I do know they have different needs and I have designed the enclosure and what is going inside, from tech to flora/fauna (what I don't know, I have sought consultants, which I have).
    Thank you for bringing up this important subject. Actually, in my grow tent, where my bromeliads are doing well in, has ventilation and heating, when needed.

Let me add, I know people have said that they have had issues with high humidity and orchids. In our grow tent, I have had one new orchid, which arrived in June 2018, on its second bloom as we speak, and another that I have had for 3 years or so, on it's 4th bloom, I believe. They are in 65% to 99% humidity and direct LED lighting (nothing special, 3600 Lumens, not sure of the other stats, I would have to get with my friend, Josh Turner, on that). I am hoping to have them in The Rainforest Exhibit. I will put them on temporary mounts, so if there are any issues, I can quickly remove them without disturbing everything else.

2. Very good point, again, thank you for this! I have had comments and messages discuss how big this thing is and that I "could have everything I want in there". But my stance from the beginning is, I want people to search for things, I do not want overcrowding, in fact, I just won't do it.

As I have said, I want about 5 to 7 Golden Poison Frogs, 2 to 3 tree frogs (Red-Eyed Tree Frogs are my first choice, but I am open to other species. I would like some Mourning Geckos, for two reasons. One, they are compatible with the other animals I am considering, and they are an invasive species. This is a subject that I think is an important one to bring up, especially with the situation as it is in Florida with the Burmese Pythons. Also, the invasive Lionfish, and other animals that have been introduced due to natural disasters or negligence.

Again, as with the land animals in The Rainforest Exhibit, I will not have a lot of fish. I have a friend whose name is Ricky. We grew up together in NYC. When we were kids we used to go to every zoo, museum, pet store, wholesale store, even black market pet trade stores. This was OVER 4 decades ago! We both had/have an extreme interest and love for animals! Well, long story short (yeah right), his son is into animals and is a big fan of this project, which I think is unbelievably awesome!!! Talk about full circle! So he has given me a lot of ideas and his opinion. He just completed his own vivarium! Very cool! He suggested the Ember Tetra, which is native to Brazil.
    Guess what?! Like the Golden Poison Frog, the Ember Tetra is NOW, a must have! haha!

That being said, I do not want a massive school of these fish, not many at all, probably start with 6. Not sure what else I would get. I have had some snails before, but they overan everything, so that is a no go.
    Anyway, you get the idea, I have a total overkill for filtration(in fact, it is close to be ridiculous, but hey, I have all the equipment, so I will start off using it, and go from there. I will vlog about all of this soon, it is coming up quickly), and I want a small population of fauna, in and out of the water. With that in mind, I am open to any ideas and opinions, 100%.

I hope I answered your questions? There is no voice inflection in the written word, my answers are said with a smile, so I hope that comes across.
    I texted my wife the other day and she said "why are you yelling?!" I did one of those cartoon double takes!!!! Anyway, so now I try to disclaim things.

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Oh, and as far as fish, if you want a true SA/CA species that is small and interesting looking, loom no further than Endler’s Live bearers. While almost extinct in nature, they are becoming even more abundant in the aquarium hobby and some new breeds have been introduced the past few years. They are an excellent alternative to common guppies (which they get confused with) and are infinitely more interesting to watch. Just my $.02

Thank you...I will Google them right now!!! Definitely worth a look!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information