Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

Default Re: The Rainforest Exhibit VLOG: Follow our BIG VIVARIUM BUILD!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    That's pretty cool. I have a more simple design of this for my 125 gallon and all the animals in the same room for that matter. I have speakers on top of the enclosure, fans to push fresh air in, a Mistking, fogger and pumps to get the water out from underneath the substrate. I have the fogger and fans on a timer because it just works easier for me. I don't use the controller for the Mistking because I get a lot of power outages and it will mess up for months the controller. I may get some timer to put it on or an exo terra honestly just because of the power outages in my area. When things are on timers and setup like your doing it's so nice and easy. I would be careful of the Mistking controller because I've been unfortunate with it. I'm excited to see what you plan to do with your setup! How soon until the tank is ready?

Some other inhabitants to consider

Colossal Cockroach

Pantanal Cockroach

Both from Central America and the second roach lives in a wetland. Might be a perfect fit for your rain forest. I'm not a roach guy but wanted to tip you off to two native species. They can also be cultured for feeders.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    Hi!

Thanks for the advice!

There's only one issue with the roaches. My wife! I came home with Hissing Roaches and she refused to go in the house with them in there...haha!!!
    Millipedes, Isopods, Springtails, etc....uhmmm...OK. Roaches? Nope.

But thanks for the idea!

I know Marty from MistKing so if there is an issue, I am sure he will fix it right away...but I will keep an eye on it.

We are within weeks of putting in the hardscape! I am getting pretty excited actually. I have been painting the rock/mud wall, and the ancient ruins.

I have a couple more product vlogs and then I will post the build vlogs, which will be a mix of video and stills.

EXCITING!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Hi!

Thanks for the advice!

There's only one issue with the roaches. My wife! I came home with Hissing Roaches and she refused to go in the house with them in there...haha!!!
    Millipedes, Isopods, Springtails, etc....uhmmm...OK. Roaches? Nope.

But thanks for the idea!

I know Marty from MistKing so if there is an issue, I am sure he will fix it right away...but I will keep an eye on it.

We are within weeks of putting in the hardscape! I am getting pretty excited actually. I have been painting the rock/mud wall, and the ancient ruins.

I have a couple more product vlogs and then I will post the build vlogs, which will be a mix of video and stills.

EXCITING!!!
    Hey I'm not a roach guy so I'll never have a roach colony either. I just can't get over the thought of being overrun. Even if it's not possible I'll just have nightmares so it's a nope.

Where I live we just have a lot of power outages so it shorts the controller and is a pain to get back on. So I eventually disconnected it. Not sure how the advanced one will do but it is something to keep an eye out for if you get power outages.

I'm looking forward to seeing your project! I'm excited to see the tech like Mistking and so on. I also can't wait to see the animals. So have you decided who you will introduce first or is everyone going in at the same time?

My update on my PA Woods will probably happen around the beginning of summer so all I can do is wait patiently as things set up and the animals get healthy. At least this gives me something to checkout!

Hey I'm not a roach guy so I'll never have a roach colony either. I just can't get over the thought of being overrun. Even if it's not possible I'll just have nightmares so it's a nope.

Where I live we just have a lot of power outages so it shorts the controller and is a pain to get back on. So I eventually disconnected it. Not sure how the advanced one will do but it is something to keep an eye out for if you get power outages.

I'm looking forward to seeing your project! I'm excited to see the tech like Mistking and so on. I also can't wait to see the animals. So have you decided who you will introduce first or is everyone going in at the same time?

My update on my PA Woods will probably happen around the beginning of summer so all I can do is wait patiently as things set up and the animals get healthy. At least this gives me something to checkout!

Well, I really like what you do with your enclosures, very cool!

Probably fish, then poison frogs and tree frogs at the same time. If I am using mourning geckos, they will be put in soon after.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This is amazing!!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This is amazing!!
    Wow...thank you so much! We are getting closer to adding the hardscape, so we are getting really excited about this!

We have been painting the fake rocks, working on the stream and waterfall, all the fun stuff.

I hope you had a chance to subscribe to our YouTube Vlog...we need all the help we can get !!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtn...HuClgb5HVUaAAQ

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Subscribed!!!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Subscribed!!!
    Thank you, John!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Worked on a bunch of the larger rocks that we received from Scott Allen from Vivarium Works. They came out awesome!

(The last picture is the weed barrier we put over the false bottom and drainage layer.)
    We are only a couple weeks away from adding all the hardscape!!!

Name:  TRE Faux Rocks before paint 1.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  176.3 KBName:  TRE Faux Rocks Montage 1.jpg
Views: 3415
Size:  260.2 KBName:  TRE Faux rocks 2.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  141.6 KBName:  TRE Faux rocks 1.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  196.8 KBName:  TRE weed Barrier 1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  155.7 KB

Getting closer to all the main hardscape being installed!

Just put the faux ruins in to make sure they fit, and the contrasts look good.

I like it so far!

Name:  TREpaintedrocks1.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  305.5 KBName:  TRE Ruinintank01.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  142.5 KBName:  TRE Ruinintank02.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  156.6 KBName:  TRE Ruinintank1.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  165.9 KBName:  TRE Ruinintank3.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  173.9 KB

More pics of the rock/mudwall and the lit ruins!

Name:  TRE Ruinintankleft1.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  129.4 KBName:  TRE Ruinintankleft2lights.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  126.5 KBName:  TRE Ruinintankleft2lightDARK.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  51.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You have a very powerful moonlight. Is that going to be that bright for viewing at night?

You have a very powerful moonlight. Is that going to be that bright for viewing at night?

Actually, I do not have plans to have any lights on at night, especially not all this LED Moonlight! It is SUPER BRIGHT! (You are right 100%).
    Maybe a small red light (have not delved too deep into the lighting schedule yet).

Actually, I wasn't planning on using the "real world" type lighting system option (whew, that's a mouthful), where it replicates an actual 24 hour day. However, until I actually read the manuals on these lights, I guess I shouldn't say never.
    The Bronx Zoo's World of Darkness exhibit(it has been closed now for quite some time) was one of my favorite exhibits of all time. Their animals had their sleep cycles changed, to sleep at night (all the lights were on at night in the exhibit), and then they had red and black lights on all day. So there are some amazing things that can be done with artificial light!

I have some plans that I have not revealed yet, having to do with education and with some of my school contacts, so I have some cool things in the works, lighting plays an important role.

14. This member thanks The Rainforest Exhibit for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Actually, I do not have plans to have any lights on at night, especially not all this LED Moonlight! It is SUPER BRIGHT! (You are right 100%).
    Maybe a small red light (have not delved too deep into the lighting schedule yet).

Actually, I wasn't planning on using the "real world" type lighting system option (whew, that's a mouthful), where it replicates an actual 24 hour day. However, until I actually read the manuals on these lights, I guess I shouldn't say never.
    The Bronx Zoo's World of Darkness exhibit(it has been closed now for quite some time) was one of my favorite exhibits of all time. Their animals had their sleep cycles changed, to sleep at night (all the lights were on at night in the exhibit), and then they had red and black lights on all day. So there are some amazing things that can be done with artificial light!

I have some plans that I have not revealed yet, having to do with education and with some of my school contacts, so I have some cool things in the works, lighting plays an important role.
    For my build I'm actually going to use LED lighting for a few hours at night to replicate the moon being out and going behind clouds. I'll also be able to sleep without light then!

That's cool I have seen many impressive things done with black light so that will be cool if you can incorporate that.

Are you only going to have LED or will you have any UVB lights?

For my build I'm actually going to use LED lighting for a few hours at night to replicate the moon being out and going behind clouds. I'll also be able to sleep without light then!

That's cool I have seen many impressive things done with black light so that will be cool if you can incorporate that.

Are you only going to have LED or will you have any UVB lights?

When I post pics of the lights, I will show you the remote. It has a bunch of different modes, including lightning storm, clouds and sun, night, etc.

The light inside the "cave or passageway" is an LED as well, but with a limited amount of options. This is just to give some plants light that are under this area.

I know the benefit of UVB lights for reptiles, mourning geckos do not need it, but are there other reasons to have it?

Started installing the mud/rock wall and faux ruins! It's starting to look like something...

Name:  TRE Dry Run 1.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  138.9 KB

Attaching the Fernwood from www.fernwoodnz.com and www.acadiansupply.com !

Placing faux rocks, driftwood, no sleep...oh well, it is a lot of fun!

Name:  TRE DRY RUN 4.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  155.9 KBName:  TRE Dry Run 5.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  155.9 KBName:  TRE Dry Run 3.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  240.3 KB

Just posted a New Vlog on our YouTube Channel!
    We unbox some of the supplies we received from Acadian Supply. They provide sustainable fernwood, sphagnum moss, orchid bark from New Zealand!

https://youtu.be/mTGF5BeDyxU

Started applying the Fernwood Panels from our supplier and sponsor Acadian Supply, LLC, These are created using only sustainable methods by the company http://www.fernnwoodnz.com
    We are getting very close to adding "OUR" ABG Mix, running the streams and waterfalls, heaters and ventilation, flora and fauna!!! SO EXCITING!!!

Name:  TRE Dry Run 110.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  206.0 KBName:  TRE Dry Run 120.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  173.3 KBName:  TRE Dry Run 200.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  124.9 KBName:  TRE Dry RUN100.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  260.6 KB

Just installed the Reverse Osmosis System and began filling up gallon water jugs!

Exciting!!!

Name:  TRE RO System INSTALLED 1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  118.3 KBName:  TRE RO Water first jugs 1.jpg
Views: 3477
Size:  63.0 KB

Milestone!!! Just tested the Waterfall and the Stream! Both of these pour into a river/shoreline paludarium. I can admit NOW something stupid I did that I do not recommend and I will never do again:
    I built the waterfall and stream, sealed it, plumbed it, attached everything even some hardscape WITHOUT testing it first! I am thrilled to say, it works as expected with no leaks. I did pour a cup of water in it when I was carving it, but that was risky.
    I have learned my lesson, even though it worked like expected, but the fear the night before snapped me into the realization to LIMIT RISK if there is no need for it. I believe IN risk, but it isn't always necessary.

Here is the video of the test...

Also, here is a montage pic of the ruins and faux rocks that are place in the Rivver/Shoreline Paludarium. The one long ruin is done with an effect, it is half that size.
    Name:  TRE RUINS Stream1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  225.8 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information