Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whistling tree frog eggs (Litoria ewingii) 18-8-10

charlamanda

Default Re: Whistling tree frog eggs (Litoria ewingii) 18-8-10

I just read through this entire thread and it's compelling stuff, great pictures!!! I have raised Gray Tree frogs from tads in my pool that emerged in July, but now the pool is full again with more Gray Tree frog tads.
    It is now Fall on the Northern East coast of US and the weather is fluctuating drastically anywhere between 55-80' F in the daytime and between 35-60' F at night. I am in the Pocono Mountains at the very top of one in a huge forest and lake community, it's really wonderful if you love nature and animals.
    The tads, in my pool, are growing very, very slowly and I have been asking anyone around here if they would be willing to raise some of them so they will survive..so far not so lucky. While reading through your thread I have had an epiphany!!!
    *What if I brought some of the tads inside to raise in a constant warm temperature?
    This way they will morph quicker, then I can fatten them up, hopefully soon, and then release them for the winter. This way they'll have a better chance of surviving than if I just left them alone in the pool outside.
    I noticed them several weeks ago and some are just about the same size, others have doubled, but all are still very small and have not yet even sprouted any legs!!
    It's very hard for me to just sit around and do nothing, knowing that they will most likely not survive.
    Anyone have any thoughts or opinions about trying this? and or Have any suggestions the best way to go about this? I'd welcome any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

That's an amazing difference. I was noticing 24 hour temps between 1-18C, that's quite a swing. Inside your home is probably around 21C. I know that I can greatly reduce the time for American Bullfrogs to morph from 2 years to a few months if I keep the water at around 21C. Anyway, congrats on all your new arrivals.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The first tadpole with arms...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jess

Exciting...you'll have lots of little hoppers soon

FroggyWV

Aw, I wish you were closer to me Charlamanda!!! I would take some. I love my GTFs.

Awesome thread. I love seeing the progress from new eggs to tads.

Rae

Is there a care sheet for Whistling tree frogs like the grey tree frog one?

It had so much information XD

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Is there a care sheet for Whistling tree frogs like the grey tree frog one?

It had so much information XD
    Yes, Ebony and I have co-authored a care article that's in it's final stages now. Hopefully we will see it on the site soon.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    Yes, Ebony and I have co-authored a care article that's in it's final stages now. Hopefully we will see it on the site soon.
    ty

Jess

OH wonderful , I can't wait to read it!

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Woot woot!!

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Cute
    Thanks for putting the photos up, they are awesome

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    That's an amazing difference. I was noticing 24 hour temps between 1-18C, that's quite a swing. Inside your home is probably around 21C. I know that I can greatly reduce the time for American Bullfrogs to morph from 2 years to a few months if I keep the water at around 21C. Anyway, congrats on all your new arrivals.
    When I first moved here I couldn't beleive the drastic temperature changes day vs night. Sometimes, during the day we need the air conditioner and at night heat! It's nuts!
    That what I was hopping to have happen. I am praying that keeping them in the warmth of my home they will morph quicker. I am going to start a new thread on this with my ideas, etc. so not to take away from Ebony's.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Here is the first little frog. He/she is only 10mm(1cm) from nose to vent.
    Sorry the photo's arnt that good. Just noticed the date..exactly 2 months from egg to frog.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Jess

Cuties!!!

Paul Rust

Adorable little guy!

clownonfire

Ebony, I am months later from this, but thank you for sharing this. It was absolutely incredible to see the evolution, from egg to froglet.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thanks Eric. Out of interest I left about 20 eggs in the outside enclosure where they were laid and even now they are still just young tadpoles. I was interested to t see if they survived as well as how the adults would react to them. So far Ive noticed that the males are staying around the water even though they have finished calling for a couple of months.
    All the others were brought in side in about 50 to 100 lots at a time and have all morphed and gone out to new homes. So that's like 6 months later and that same lot of eggs are still small tadpoles. Just fascinating.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

i've just got a few developing ewingi eggs at the moment and i've had a few baby tree frogs last year but i only kept them for a few weeks and i never saw them eat and i was wondering what do you feed your baby tree frog once they metamorph? i was thnking small flies?

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by dlordoftheflies View Post
    i've just got a few developing ewingi eggs at the moment and i've had a few baby tree frogs last year but i only kept them for a few weeks and i never saw them eat and i was wondering what do you feed your baby tree frog once they metamorph? i was thnking small flies?
    Hi dlordoftheflies,

Yes, small flies are ideal. More precisely fruitflies, Drosophila melanogaster. One can purchase the wingless variety in pupae form that readily hatch from a container within the frog enclosure. Alternatively you can culture your own Drosophila rather easily, although the wild type have wings.
    Biosuppliers sells the ready-to-go containers, these can be ordered directly and couriered, or you can get them from a good pet store.
    Mind that freshly morphed frogs generally don't eat for a while (a week or 2?) until they have absorbed and utilised the tail remnants. Once that is complete they will require a fairly constant/frequent supply of food.
    Hope that helps.

Jess

21. This member thanks jtay for this post:

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

for anyone interested in finding out more information about raising litoria ewingi from egg, im putting together a similar daily log of my litoria ewingi eggs, http://www.frogforum.net/blogs/dlord...le-part-1.html
    and heres a video of 2 week old ewingi tadpoles seem as ebony didnt end up uploading hers:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information