Thread: African clawed frog almost stopped eating.

Nationality
    [Russian Federation]

Question African clawed frog almost stopped eating.

Hi, my clawed frog recently almost stopped eating. It happened like half a week ago, I was quite afraid It was the red leg, but he clearly shows no other sympthoms, his coordination is fine, he moves around a lot, breathes easily, he just doesn't seem to want to eat. He eats like two to three bloodworms a day, and then just throws it all away. What do, FF?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: African clawed frog almost stopped eating.

I have a very similar situation with my clawed frog. She is in a 55 gallon tank with a buddy and some larger fish. She suddenly stopped eating and hangs out at the top of the tank all the time. I hear her made audible noises that sound like a duck quacking. It's been over a week now that she hasn't eaten anything. She just pushes food away when I try to feed her. The other frog in the tank is totally fine and has her normal hearty appetite. I had my water tested and all was well except for a low pH and alkalinity. I purchased Marineland Easy Care water treatment and did a 25% water change. I'm getting worried that she is going to starve to death. I'm not sure what to do with her. Any thoughts?

Nationality
    [Russian Federation]

Quote Originally Posted by jsisock79 View Post
    I have a very similar situation with my clawed frog. She is in a 55 gallon tank with a buddy and some larger fish. She suddenly stopped eating and hangs out at the top of the tank all the time. I hear her made audible noises that sound like a duck quacking. It's been over a week now that she hasn't eaten anything. She just pushes food away when I try to feed her. The other frog in the tank is totally fine and has her normal hearty appetite. I had my water tested and all was well except for a low pH and alkalinity. I purchased Marineland Easy Care water treatment and did a 25% water change. I'm getting worried that she is going to starve to death. I'm not sure what to do with her. Any thoughts?
    My problem was actually spolved, my frog accidentally ate a stone, my gravy was too small and he was capable of swallowing it accidentally, now he is fine. Perhaps, same thing happened to your froggy? I hope, she isn't showing any signs of the red leg?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Glebro101 View Post
    My problem was actually spolved, my frog accidentally ate a stone, my gravy was too small and he was capable of swallowing it accidentally, now he is fine. Perhaps, same thing happened to your froggy? I hope, she isn't showing any signs of the red leg?
    I'm not seeing any red leg, thankfully. I have sand in my tank, so I don't think she swallowed anything. She is getting very skinny as you can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by jsisock79 View Post
    She is getting very skinny as you can see.
    Unfortunately, it's not possible to judge what the problem might be. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the frog looks very emaciated and I strongly suspect that its loss of appetite is a symptom of an internal problem related to disease, parasites or organ failure. I think that you have two options; either consult a vet or wait for matters to take their natural course. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not possible to judge what the problem might be. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the frog looks very emaciated and I strongly suspect that its loss of appetite is a symptom of an internal problem related to disease, parasites or organ failure. I think that you have two options; either consult a vet or wait for matters to take their natural course. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
    I wound up taking her to an exotic vet. She said that my frog has red leg, but likely not the more fatal version or she'd already be dead. The vet gave me some medicine to try and feed her and a chlorhexidine rinse. I have to take the frog out of the tank twice a day and rinse her with the solution then put her back. She doesn't really take her medicine well, so it's hard to tell how much she's actually ingesting. She is a lot more active now and the wounds from red leg aren't nearly as bad now. The only issue now is that she won't eat any food, not even blood worms which are her favorite. The other thing that worries me is that she seems to have a hard time staying at the bottom of the tank and that she lets a lot of air out of her mouth. I hope it's not some kind of organ failure, but it has me worried. Any other thoughts? You were on the money with your red leg assessment.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thank you for taking the time to post an update. I hope things work out and that your frog recovers. I can only repeat that, in my opinion, its loss of appetite is almost certainly a symptom of an underlying condition and not its cause.

Nationality
    [United States]

I wanted to provide an update on her condition. I am still taking her out of the aquarium twice a day to rinse her with the Chlorhexidine solution and attempting to feed her Doxycycline medication once a day. It's hard to say how much of the medication she gets as she won't open her mouth willingly, but her lesions appear to be much better. She is still shedding her skin a lot, but I'm hoping that is due to the daily rinses. She still won't eat on her own and that worries me. She is also unable to sink to the bottom of the tank. She tries to swim on the bottom but just floats back up to the top and air comes out of her mouth. She also lets out an audible noise that sounds almost like a cry. It's disheartening and I hope she's not in pain. I was reading about it potentially being her swim bladder, but I don't know much about that. I've attached two pictures of her that I just took a few minutes ago. You can see her color looks a lot better than a couple weeks ago, but I noticed almost a bulge on her belly that you can see in the picture.

Name:  IMG_0883.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  2.22 MB
    Name:  IMG_0881.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  2.57 MB

Nationality
    [United States]

I remember reading about this condition somewhere before. It's an unfortunate intestinal disease in aquatic frogs. They'll get bloated and float at the top of the tank.

AH! I found a page of their diseases. I'm thinking your frog may have the bacterial infection. http://xenopus.com/disease.htm
    They suggest some some medicine that you might be able to get at the pet store. I hope this helps!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMonoceros View Post
    I remember reading about this condition somewhere before. It's an unfortunate intestinal disease in aquatic frogs. They'll get bloated and float at the top of the tank.

AH! I found a page of their diseases. I'm thinking your frog may have the bacterial infection. http://xenopus.com/disease.htm
    They suggest some some medicine that you might be able to get at the pet store. I hope this helps!
    Thanks for the response! I was reading the link you provided and my frog seems to have symptoms of several conditions, but mostly the barrel chest and epidermal chytridiomycosis. I can't find any info on the barrel chest, so I'm not sure what the best treatment is for it. The epidermal chytridiomycosis seems to suggest using malachite green. I found a product called ParaGuard from Seachem. I think I'm going to give that a shot. She seems to be getting a lot better from the treatments for red leg, so here's hoping she keeps getting better.

http://clawedfrogs.tripod.com/id31.html

Thread Information