Thread: Hot? Leopard Frog Heat

Question Hot? Leopard Frog Heat

Hello

Quick question since I can't seem to find much information on this topic.

So I ordered another halogen heat lamp for my Whites Tree Frog but after deciding I didn't need it I now have an extra. So I figured why not use it for my Leopard Frog?

However I can't tell if it's to hot or not so I figured someone could let me know.

Hot Spot - 85F

Other land - 71 - 77 F

Water - 69 F

He's on his turtle dock which is where he usually is, however he has inched towards the heat source. So I presume he likes some of the heat it's giving him? It's on the farthest side of the land side in the tank and he's sitting in the middle of the tank right now. (Heat lights get turned off at night for all my frogs)

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hot? Leopard Frog Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Martin View Post
    Hello

Quick question since I can't seem to find much information on this topic.

So I ordered another halogen heat lamp for my Whites Tree Frog but after deciding I didn't need it I now have an extra. So I figured why not use it for my Leopard Frog?

However I can't tell if it's to hot or not so I figured someone could let me know.

Hot Spot - 85F

Other land - 71 - 77 F

Water - 69 F

He's on his turtle dock which is where he usually is, however he has inched towards the heat source. So I presume he likes some of the heat it's giving him? It's on the farthest side of the land side in the tank and he's sitting in the middle of the tank right now. (Heat lights get turned off at night for all my frogs)

Any thoughts?
    They don't need 80's if you have just a 70's temperature gradient it would be good. Where are your frogs from or did you purchase them?

I'm going to make a Northern leopard frog care sheet coming soon. They do not like heat as much as the southern leopard frog.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Hot? Leopard Frog Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    They don't need 80's if you have just a 70's temperature gradient it would be good. Where are your frogs from or did you purchase them?

I'm going to make a Northern leopard frog care sheet coming soon. They do not like heat as much as the southern leopard frog.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

He's from a tadpoles to frog kit (by one of my mom's students) I adopted him since it's illegal to release them where I live despite them being native.

I don't know whether he's a northern or a southern however when I asked the forum long ago people thought most likely northern. I have since asking this question originally turned off the heat lamp. So I'm glad to hear that was the right choice.

I did notice he was coming onto the land as soon as the light itself was off. He seemed to like sitting in the heat spot that was left over.

Perhaps I'll invest when I get his new cage to giving him a low heat gradient then

Thanks!

Thread Information