Thread: Tank setup

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tank setup

I'm wanting to make my own set up for housing my tree frogs. They are still in the tadpole stage so I have a little time to work with. I'm curious if I can make a screen enclosed habitat for them or would glass/plexi/acrylic be the better option? I want to be able to give them plenty of room and I've had a hard time finding any tall tanks, so that's why I'd like to make my own. Of course I can use glass/ plexi/acrylic, but was just thinking different routes. Any suggestions??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Tank setup

I can offer a few suggestions, however I am by no means an expert. I've had my Whites Tree Frog for less then 6 months, so just a few things I would think would come up.

So as for a screen enclosure, these can be made easily and can be bought for a relatively cheap price compared to glass or acrylic. However depending on the species you wish to house you may encounter some large issues with humidity. I own a Whites Tree Frog and I happen to have a hard time keeping his humidity anywhere higher then 50% in his Exo Terra 18" 18" 24". So I presume keeping humidity in a screen may be way harder in terms of having to not spray several times a day.

However with a plexiglass or acrylic cage you may find it's easier to keep the humidity stable.

I don't know if tree frogs can climb screen either. I will let someone else input on that as I've never seen mine climb his top screen. If they can't climb you may have a harder time with them getting on objects. However if you have lots decor that may not be a concern as they can climb that. Speaking of decor you'll have to modify your decor to attach to the screen as opposed to the suction cups for a glass cage.

If I were you I would suggest that you (should you have the materials and cash) make a screen prototype to see if it can handle the heat and humidity requirements for your species of frog. If it doesn't you can always sell it to a chameleon owner I'm sure.

If you want a safe bet I would suggest a glass or plexiglass as opposed to the screen cage. Should you go with screen I would highly suggest using a metal screen as opposed to the plastic one. As any heat will melt the plastic.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm curious what the others will say, as I've never seen a frog housed in a screen cage.

-Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the suggestions and great info Alyssa, much appreciated!! Screen probably wouldn't be the way to go after all, since I live in Colorado and its pretty dry here and keeping humidity up would def be an issue...not saying I wouldn't put the time and effort in,- but I would worry more about the fluctuations by trying to do so. I've had no luck finding any tall glass/plexi tanks, so maybe making my own seems like the option right now.
    Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteffPerry View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and great info Alyssa, much appreciated!! Screen probably wouldn't be the way to go after all, since I live in Colorado and its pretty dry here and keeping humidity up would def be an issue...not saying I wouldn't put the time and effort in,- but I would worry more about the fluctuations by trying to do so. I've had no luck finding any tall glass/plexi tanks, so maybe making my own seems like the option right now.
    Thanks again!!
    Glad to have helped

I've read a few threads on making glass tanks and while it's not something I'm planning on doing yet, it doesn't seems super hard. I went the easy way and bought a premade Exo Terra but prices for these can get pretty steep, especially when going with a large one.

I wish you the best in making (or buying) a tank Feel free to post pictures whenever you've finished

Thread Information