Thread: Whites Tree Frog Feeding Routine

Question Whites Tree Frog Feeding Routine

Hello!

Little update on Gordon and a few questions

So it turns out that I for sure have a male Whites Tree Frog, he likes to sing the song of his people that's for sure! Gordon has gone from (nub to snout) 2 1/4" to 3" whole inches! This guy is growing fast! When I got him his tank mates were fat and healthy and this boy was under weight and questionable, I believe the tank mates bullied him as he was always separate from the others in the tank. I wonder if his growth was possibly stunted due to the lack of food or he's just growing fast?

Alright so I thought I'd include his feeding routine so I can get some pointers and hear what you guys do

So for Gordon he only eats when he's on his perch. He will not eat in a container or if I take him out early for feeding, he simply refuses. He is a decisive boy who knows when he wants to eat!

So he comes out about every other day so he eats 3-4 times a week, sometimes more sometimes less.

On those days I can get him to eat 2-5 crickets, however eating five is his new record as of a few days ago! He wouldn't go near the tongs when I got him so having a way to monitor how he eats has been amazing.

One day a week the tong feed crickets are dusted heavily with Rapashy Calcium Plus, this is because he'll only eat two dusted at most. If I offer more then once a week he will get grumpy and not accept the calcium crickets even lightly dusted.

He gets dubia's in a small dish at the bottom of his tank as well.

The funny thing about Gordon is he only eats 1/4" crickets, he won't touch anything bigger no matter what it is. I tried giving him a horn worm and he refused it, he could be eating 1/2" to full size crickets. He doesn't like those for whatever reason however. We are trying mealworms (as a treat) next time we head to the store to see if he likes those.

So anything I should take away or add?

Now what do you do for your feedings?

Thanks!
    -Alyssa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Feeding Routine

All in all it sounds like a good routine. I feed a few times a week then allow mine to fast for a week every so often. I wouldn’t change what you’re doing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    All in all it sounds like a good routine. I feed a few times a week then allow mine to fast for a week every so often. I wouldn’t change what you’re doing at all.
    I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks!

I know you said to leave the routine alone, however I'm curious on when you fast your frogs?

Do you do it at all ages or only when their grown?

Any specific months you tend to do this in?

I don't know if I'll do this but I'm open to ideas

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For adults and subadults I’ll withhold food for a week once every month or two. Then I follow by a week of heavy feeding. I don’t pay any attention to a specific time of year though. I’ve found over the years that letting certain species fast occasionally equals longer lifespans. It’s really a personal choice in terms of how you choose to feed but this method has worked well for many of my animals.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I feed my White's Tree Frogs heavy 2 feeds a week but sometimes they will go 10-12 days without eating. It's a good idea with a species like this that can be prone to obesity. You can fast sub adults and adults. It really doesn't matter the time you do it. I think in the summer they are more active so if you feed more when they move around it should be good.

One treat that I notice these tree frogs love is the Butterworm. This by far is their favorite. They like waxworms too but they can be fattening. They would be a good part of a staple diet just like how you make dinner for yourself some fat is good so a couple every feed and a couple less crickets or roaches to include.

Good questions!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information