Thread: Gray tree frog - hiccuping? Seizing? What is she doing??

Question Gray tree frog - hiccuping? Seizing? What is she doing??

Hi there!! I want to thank all of you for this AWESOME forum!! My 3 year old son recently found a gray tree frog (native species here in VA) and gave me the ‘can we keep him, PLEASE???’ line. Your forum has been a LIFESAVER for me in getting our new froggy friend in the best possible habitat so she (yep, pretty sure it’s a girl), can have a good, long, happy life. Bum (my son named her. He’s three. It makes sense to him. LoL) is in a 10 gallon aquarium with screened lid, misted and water dish filled with bottled Aquafina (we have well water), and fed with crickets. Bum gets 3 small-to-medium crickets every evening, and once a week they are dusted with Repticalcium with D3. Bum’s temp stays steady between 74-76, with humidity at 60-70%. I’m OCD about it. LoL She been doing great for over 3 weeks now!
    Then tonight, after eating 2 of her 3 crickets, she got into her little pool and starting doing this weird hiccuping/lurching thing. She’s not shedding, as I’ve witnessed that a couple of times now, and it doesn’t look anything like this. She doesn’t seem to be distressed, but I have no idea what she’s doing!! Is Bum okay?? Thank you in advance for any help!!

Here’s a link to the YouTube video I took of her behavior: https://youtu.be/PqoJAGejs_Y
    Last edited by JenBee; October 10th, 2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fixing the annoying punctuation errors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Gray tree frog - hiccuping? Seizing? What is she doing??

Update: she stopped doing whatever it was, but I’m still crazy-curious as to what she was doing in the first place. Also, any tips or suggestions are welcome! This is our (my) first frog, and I do love the little girl so much already, so I want to be doing the right things for her. Thank you again for reading and looking forward to any and all replies.

I have no idea, but I would say that I do not think it was a seizure, and since you said it happened after eating my bet would be hiccups!! I have never seen a frog hiccup before but my puppy sure gets them all the time

LoL yeah, my dog got them a lot as a puppy, too. I guess it just seemed so odd to me that frogs would get hiccups, seeing as how they don’t ‘breathe’ the same way we terrestrial mammals do. Bum sure has been a fascinating, if somewhat perplexing, new addition to our home!

Thread Information