Thread: Community vivarium

Member needs to set country!

Default Community vivarium

He everyone, i have a medium-XTall exoterra tank that has

-a pond area at the pond with danios and 3 fire belly toads (extremely passive)
    - also has one gray tree frog that’s around an inch (baby?)
    -future water area towards the higher parts of the tank for the treefrogs
    -lots of wood and plants for hiding

Would i be able to add one or some of the following?

-Clown tree frog
    -Waxy Monkey tree frog
    -American tree frog
    -Red Eye tree frog
    -Anything else?

I wouldn’t mind removing the fbt if needed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Community vivarium

Your Gray tree frog is from a temperate climate, whereas some of the others are from a tropical climate. You are also at risk of spreading pathogens and parasites when you mix wild caught from different regions, or with captive bred.
    I could see perhaps mixing Gray tree frogs with Green tree frogs, but that's about it.

The red eyes and clowns wouldn’t work because of the temperature?

Because i read that they can go up to 90 degrees F without problem, so theoretically i would be able but i should go with caution?

Can i have

3 fbt
    3 gray tree frogs
    1 Clown
    1 other?

What can the other be other than american green tree frogs?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Gray tree frogs should not be that warm, and could transmit pathogens to the red eyes and clowns.

You shouldn't really mix frogs, but some type of small toad (not fire belly) and some american tree frog would work. I bet European fire bellies would work with European tree frogs. Remember that in the wild a frog meets with other species but can go away from it any time it wants, which it cant do in a vivarium

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No trust me. I have mixed species vivariums and I've done it for years and I spent a few years thinking and finding possible research that the Gray Tree Frogs could live with American Toads and I had them together. Some toads will eat the tree frogs and some won't. The personality mine had they were peaceful with one another. The problem is the toads won't necessarily poison the tree frogs but the tree frogs will poison the toads. Toads have their poison in their two big warts on their backs and choose when to release. The Gray Tree Frog has toxin on it's legs that especially when wet gets into the water. I've heard of people keeping these two together but here's what nobody will tell you that kept them together. The tree frogs and toads are peaceful and can work on a behavioral standpoint but they both need water. I have one toad that goes in one of the water bins every night she basically swims lol anyway the tree frogs were in the same water bin and they sat in it for 3 straight nights for hours. The next day my toad got in the water and that morning she had a seizure which I strongly believe that it was the toxin from the tree frogs that poisoned her. Usually whenever an amphibian is poisoned by another they do not make a comeback it's usually fatal and Death is certain but I got very very lucky as my toad was very strong and was eating very well before this happened. She pulled through and I after a couple of days removed the gray tree frogs. I would not consider putting even the green tree frogs in the same setup with the gray tree frogs because they could potentially poison the green tree frogs. The green tree frogs do not have the same toxin as the gray tree frog. So in other words while mixings debatable I do it and still discourage it for various reasons this is not something you would want to do to another animal. I love my gray tree frogs and I love my other amphibians and I have learned my lesson.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information